Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Angled Lighting
    #3139676 - 09/15/04 06:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey folks,
For fruiting, will shrooms receive enough light through a window? It would be a large window, no direct sunlight, just average daylight. To avoid the stems from bending to the light source, the tupperwares will be turned daily, but will they receive enough light? I've never put much thought into this, always thought that as long as the bins weren't in total darkness they received enough light, but reading some posts on here has got me wondering.....
Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Angled Lighting [Re: bemmers1]
    #3139898 - 09/15/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if the light is on a angle the shrooms will follow the light! in effect u shall have angled shrooms!

Offlinetomekk
<(O_o)>

Loc: On a road to nowhere
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: liveby]
    #3140238 - 09/15/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

liveby said:
if the light is on a angle the shrooms will follow the light! in effect u shall have angled shrooms!

yep happened to me. Don't use the window get a light source that can shine straight down onto the mushrooms

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: tomekk]
    #3140444 - 09/15/04 09:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard that natural sunlight breaks down psilocybin. May or not be true, but keep your blinds closed anyway so nobody can see in, and with a normal 60 watt bulb, you can control exactly how much light they get and what direction it's coming from.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: ricelicker]
    #3140820 - 09/15/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, like I was saying the bins can be turned to keep the shrooms from growing towards the light, much like you do with a household plant....my concern is in the spectrum of light being used. If a normal lightbulb is used, the spectrum of light is not as sufficient as that of daylight/blue light. Timing can also be controlled by closing and opening the blinds at the same time each day, and my friend has no concerns with curious eyes as he lives in a high rise. Should he just use his overhead room light (average 60 watt light bulb) or the outside light?

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3141243 - 09/15/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yo bemmers1, i did exactly what you were talking about and i had perfectly upright shrooms, i used a southern facing window that was shaded by another building, no real extreme direct light, i guess the only way to find out is by trial, ive never read any science proving sunlight effects the power of mushrooms, maybe when you dry them you could degrade the potency by using powerful sunlight, and i guess you could cook the cakes in a rubbermaid placed by a sunny window, but you should be cool if you turn them and make sure they arent getting too hot, check my response to first time shroom grower mycobag set up from a day or two ago and you can see my pics from what im talking about.
peace ninja00

Edited by zerozero (09/15/04 11:35 PM)

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: zerozero]
    #3141277 - 09/15/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thanks man, sounds good.....shouldn't be a prob, they would only get indirect morning sun, other than that just regular daylight. I think it is better than just giving them normal white light, guess I'll find out...any other experiences?
thanks again

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3142100 - 09/16/04 02:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Most window glass filters UV, and I think that's the component which breaks down the actives. After all, the actives are related to things like Melatonin, and that has a huge reaction to UV. So sunlight via window is probably fine. Direct sunlight is different.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: Spudz76]
    #3143230 - 09/16/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Like if you lay directly under the window for hours to get a tan compared to sitting out of direct sunlight but still in the light and trying to get a tan. You might do it some day but it would take a long time I'd imagine. I doubt the UV rays really get to your babies if you use indirect sunlight. Many do it and are successfull.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3144813 - 09/16/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If sunlight breaks down the active components, how do they grow outside and still remain potent? Or are outdoor shrooms less potent than indoor cultivated ones?

Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
    #3144826 - 09/16/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

indoor cultivated mushrooms are more potent(FACT) read some goodies on this site and erowid.com!

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Angled Lighting [Re: scape]
    #3144857 - 09/16/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hey scape, i thought that indoor shrooms were usually more potent due to a more ideal growing environment like perfect temp., humidity,  and more nutrients in their substrate, and perfected stains .?? and is diffused natural light for sure going to make mushies less potent when grown inside near a window.?
thanks, 00 :shrug:

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: zerozero]
    #3145280 - 09/16/04 09:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

WEll, no shit eh?!  Learn something new everyday, wasn't aware of that....good to know.  I guess I should just spend the 3 bucks on a fluorescent lightbulb :smile:

Offlinescape
II
    #3145291 - 09/16/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think its for sure going to reduce the potentcy.  however i think you will have better luck and more potent mushrooms if you use a fluorescent bulb.  That bulb has a large blue spectrum,  and hey everyone thats an experienced grower uses some kind of flouro light why not you?  i understand that 90% of this hobbie is trial and error but hell man.  I like to stick with what works!  :crazy2:

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3145299 - 09/16/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Also in the wild they tend to not naturally grow in full sunlight, but in the shade like under trees/bushes and stuff. So they don't really ever get a full barrage of UV in the wild either.

I think we all basically agree that there will be no noticeable difference, after the light comes through a UV filtering glass window and indirectly lights up a closet or whatever. If it bounces off a wall first or anything practically all the UV is gone (absorbed into the paint).

Plenty of people do it, anyway, and as far as I know none of them has had a complaint about it. Most have said it works fine, or even great.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Offlinebemmers1
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: Spudz76]
    #3145370 - 09/16/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Man, this is getting confusing (maybe it's just me)....indirect sunlight is ok and will be just as effective as a fluoro bulb but the shrooms will be less potent?  My friendly farmer friend has been doing this for years but wants to maximize growth this time, with the shrooms being potent and healthy, so should he use the indirect sunlight or a fluoro bulb.  The daylight would definately be easier....ah, fuck it, I'll just tell him to stop being a cheap ass and buy a bulb and forget about it, lol :smile:

Offlinescape
II
    #3145375 - 09/16/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thats what i would do IMO.. however just do it eather way if you want to play with the sunlight do it. but make sure its indirect. Man its just trial and error. Most people use bulbs for lack of convient sunlight. its hard to direct to where you need it to keep your shrooms growing straight up. if you dont care about the direction they go and what have you just use sun light i guess. if your looking for straight nice looking shrooms get a fluro blub. its as easy as that.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Angled Lighting [Re: scape]
    #3145852 - 09/16/04 11:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Get them a little light.
But not direct sunlight.
Everthing will be ok.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineneakah
Female
    #15937469 - 03/12/12 02:18 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

FUCK THE SHROOMERY :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation