Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Mexicana a
    #3138689 - 09/15/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to try fruiting my mex a and know that a long cold shok is required. What I wanna know is if it?s possible to cold shock the jars then case and not case then cold shock. That long time in the fridge with food and stuff around makes me feel paranoid about contams, but keeping the grain inside the jar with the lid, the polyfill, some cling wrap in the rim of the lid and a layer of aluminum foil, makes me feel calm and relaxed.

Would it work this way too ?

Thank you

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana a [Re: Semilanceata]
    #3138705 - 09/15/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

how are you growing them?

--------------------
buh

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: Mexicana a [Re: shirley knott]
    #3138952 - 09/15/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I?m in the agar phase but plan to inoc. some grass seed (lolium perenne) and then case when colonized, not sclerotia at all, then long cold shock, like a month, and fruit. I think is Una?s method.
I?m asking so soon because if it?s not possible to do the previous explained procedure, then I should better go and get a small fridge.

Thanks Shirley and good luck in your latest pan cyan cult.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3139103 - 09/15/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i wish i could help you. the cold shock is a fruiting trigger, and growing into the casing layer is a vegetative mode of growth, so i can understand your query. i suppose if the casing layer was thin it wouldn't be a problem - i 've even heard of some who suggest making a small 'hole' in the casing layer so that light could get to at least park of the mycelium network.....

hopefully we'll get some experienced mex growers chime in....

(p.s. thanks for the cyan luck!)

--------------------
buh

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana a [Re: shirley knott]
    #3139188 - 09/15/04 04:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've heard from someone who did well fruiting these that sclerotia has to be present for fruiting. Or at least it was easier for this person to get them to fruit (couldnt otherwise). I dont remember if it's Una or not.

I would assume a cold shock just prior to casing (I've seen people who do this with cubies all the time for their 24 hour cold shock, slightly different animal but..) and would be better then no cold shock at all but I wouldnt worry about putting your casing in the fridge. The cold will help to slow growth of any molds/bacteria and as long as you make the casing sterily and cover with tin foil well it should be fine.

Sorry not much more help then that. I'm only just ahead of you in the process and I'm working with Tamps but anyways..good luck..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: Mexicana a [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3139284 - 09/15/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I wouldnt worry about putting your casing in the fridge. The cold will help to slow growth of any molds/bacteria and as long as you make the casing sterily and cover with tin foil well it should be fine. [/quote

Maybe while it?s in the fridge, and not at all cause I?ve molds that eat everything if I forget about it for weeks, you know, like food in a tupperware. Besides, the problem would be once you put the casing to fruiting conditions, cause if there are any mold spores in the casing, at higher temps, they will germinate or won?t they?

THX

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3139367 - 09/15/04 05:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When you put food in the tubberware container did you do it in a sterile environment? When I make my casings before they get covered with foil they are made in a small room cleaned with lysol/bleach with HEPA filters running for hours before and during. When I throw leftovers in tubberware they have usually been sitting out on the stove for a time.

As for mold spores germinating on casing...it is non nutritious and not so great for mold. Also if you spray your casing down with a H202/water mix (1 part h202 to 10 parts water) before covering it with tinfoil that should aid to kill any spores. Also the myc will help to fight off molds as it comes through the surface.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation