Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
So we all hate the media, right?
    #3136524 - 09/14/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, I've noticed that many many posts like to lay blame in the mainstream media's lap. And on all kinds of issues. People on the right generally despise the fact that mosts reporters are liberal and that most journalism has a slight liberal bias. People on the left tend to despise the fact that most journalism is controlled by conservative media giants who value money over integrity. And there are many other complaints to be heard on the subject. I'd suspect that almost every steady PA&L poster has, at one time or another, said fuck you to the mainstream media. So the channels by which most of the public get their daily information are decidedly fucked up.

What do we do about it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Gijith]
    #3136552 - 09/14/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing. Our country is already under the control of Europe. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3136555 - 09/14/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't really concern myself much with the mainstream media. As long as you can keep an open mind and a healthy sense of skepticism, you can sift through the bias to get to the facts.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleDieCommie

#3136608 - 09/14/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I dont hate the media.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: DieCommie]
    #3136748 - 09/14/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i think supporting alternate media outlets such as Democracy Now is an alternative for the citizen who feels that corporate media is presenting a too strong right-wing bias.

Also a station like NPR is a healthy dose of reality after the talking-heads fantasy that most (cable) news networks provide their viewers with today.

but, most of all, i think the internet - allowing people to access thousands of different opinions and accounts on issues - is our best bet at created an informed population

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Krishna]
    #3137656 - 09/15/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i think supporting alternate media outlets such as Democracy Now is an alternative for the citizen who feels that corporate media is presenting a too strong right-wing bias.

To those who feel that way I'd suggest comic books.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3137709 - 09/15/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How can anyone even refute a comment like that? Grow up!

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Zahid]
    #3137898 - 09/15/04 07:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Apparantly the islam religion hasn't grasped the concept of a sense of humor.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3137964 - 09/15/04 07:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Did somebody say something funny then??

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: GazzBut]
    #3138002 - 09/15/04 08:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you're English, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3138004 - 09/15/04 08:04 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3138102 - 09/15/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think its more often americans who don't get brit humor than vice versa...

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Tao]
    #3138185 - 09/15/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Oh Americans get their humor, most just don't find it very funny...with the exception of Monty Python, but I digress.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3141143 - 09/15/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Gijith writes:

People on the right generally despise the fact that mosts reporters are liberal and that most journalism has a slight liberal bias.

"Slight" liberal bias? Bwahahahahaha! Dude, you crack me up.

What do we do about it?

As you may already know, for more than ten months of the year I get my information on current events almost solely from the Web. I haven't had a television for almost seventeen years now, and I read maybe three days worth of newspapers in those ten months -- generally discarded English language papers left behind by tourist, but every once in a while I'll read a few articles from a Dominican newspaper. I normally spend six to eight weeks per year in Canada, but even then I rarely tune in to TV news. It's mostly trash and gets worse every year. Of course, the Canadian government considers FOX News to be taboo, so I've never seen a single FOX News show. Perhaps it does a better job than CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, CTV, CBC, and CanWest Global.

I do, however, devour on average two newspapers a day while in Canada, as well as read every Time, Newsweek, and MacLean's (Canadian newsmag) I can get my hands on. I don't read the NY Times, the LA Times, or the Washington Post on paper though. Just the Ottawa Citizen and the Globe and Mail. Oh, and I read every copy of The Economist magazine I can find, even back issues. The Economist is about the best news magazine I've come across so far.

Online news sites such as CNN, FOX, BBC, Reuters, the Wall Street Journal and others are okay for checking the weather, tracking broad market trends, and the occasional sports and human interest story, but for matters of substance, blogs are the way to go. There's lots of good ones out there.

You can't beat the blogs for up-to-the-minute info and merciless (often savage) fact-checking.

Old media is going the way of the dinosaur. The continuing Rathergate saga is a prime example of bloggers eating old media's lunch.

So, what should we do? Boycott old media, especially TV, and write a polite e-mail or fax to the stations you no longer watch explaining that you no longer trust their ability to inform you accurately.

The networks and the behemoths of the print world are watching their viewer/reader base shrink dramatically, and it would be doing them a favor to let them know just why it is they lost at least one particular viewer/reader. Maybe if they get enough input, they might actually change their ways.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: So we all hate the media, right? [Re: Phred]
    #3141167 - 09/15/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, pinky.
Has anyone been to a country where they felt the media was a lot more balanced or less corrupted?

edit: I also spend at least a few weeks a year in Canada. And contrary to what Michael Moore would have us believe, it's virtually the same trash. Except yeah, no Fox News.

Edited by Gijith (09/15/04 09:21 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds