Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/
    #3136335 - 09/14/04 10:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My pressure cooker adds a tiny bit of water to the contents of my jars. I've tested this by PC'ing empty jars for 45 minutes and checking the moisture content. I'd estimate a gain of 2ml water. I use a Manttra 6qt with about an inch of water. I've made a rack that sits about an inch up so the jars don't touch the water. I turn the heat up to 5. As soon as the PC starts to get noisy and steam, I turn the burner down to about 1.5 which maintains a low (but constant) stream of steam. The jars are of course sealed with 2 layers of foil. I've always done them with 2 layers of foil as well as electrical tape. That's about as sealed as it gets. Could I PC them to better effect in an oven bag?

Now this isn't enough to bother my substrate too much (just add a little dry vermiculite to the grains :/) - unless I use a filter such as polyfill or a tyvek disk. With tyvek, I fear the water will leech along the edges (the few mm sticking out of the edges that are impossible to trim - using heavy-duty paper towels, this leech effect occured) into the jars, creating a germ highway so to say to the inside of the jars. With polyfill, I can't actually tell if the polyfill itself is damp. However, the inside of the lid is (the cap which I've have holes drilled in and plugged with polyfill) so I assume this creates a similar route for contaminants to infiltrate.

To get a good flow of gas exchange, I want to use a tyvek filter. Is there any way I can somehow dry the tyvek while maintaining sterility of my post-PC'd jars? Also, is my PC faulty? Is it just not building enough pressure and steaming my jars wet? The gasket is in good shape and it seals up well... It's a big piece of metal, how do those break? :P

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Ayrios]
    #3137262 - 09/15/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I fell to the 2nd page :frown: Just bumping it up so I can go to sleep and maybe get some clues in the morning.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3137332 - 09/15/04 02:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Wrap woil over the tops.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3137352 - 09/15/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ayrios said:
The jars are of course sealed with 2 layers of foil. I've always done them with 2 layers of foil as well as electrical tape. That's about as sealed as it gets.

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
Wrap foil over the tops.

Or, as yet another option you could possibly wrap the tops with foil.

:lol:

Putting them in bags might work out.  You could likely dry the tyvek off with a hairdryer set on "super hot", like the setting that almost burns your hair off.  The element in the hair dryer gets hot enough then to kill most everything that passes near it and so it should be clean and should dry that tyvek off pretty quick as well.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Spudz76]
    #3137367 - 09/15/04 03:21 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I dont see howwater gets in then, and even so just adjust your ratios if your PF shits too wet.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3138070 - 09/15/04 11:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm the hair dryer thing sounds good. While sleeping I thought up the idea of just taping the tyvek inside so none of it leeches in from where the lid screws over the tyvek (yeah I know, common sense). Then the small bit of tyvek that gets wet I can blowdry.

I'd adjust my ratios but I've been using rye for some jars and popcorn for others, not PF stuff, so all the water I want is simmered in. I have to add vermiculite to sop up the added water.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #3138287 - 09/15/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think your making a big deal out of nothing. I'ts just because you did that test that you think you have a problem while you really dont. But still you can easily adjust the water content by precooking for less and draining more.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3138354 - 09/15/04 01:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Why'd glowing eleven just kill my rating for no reason? :frown: I've noticed he's done that to 90% of the people on here. Why hasn't he been banned?

Anyway, I'm just curious to see if water being added during PC is an abnormality or not. I want to be sure my PC is maintaining maximum PSI afterall. Before I got tyvek, I was doing some jars of popcorn with a thick terrycloth filter clamped down by the lid. A bit along the edges was sticking out of the lid. Like I said earlier, it leeched its way through and soaked the entire towel, so that's means for concern if you ask me. I've heard of people only using tyvek and foil over their jars during PC - no lids even, and then their tyvek remains dry. I think my concern is valid, even if I've found the fix for it (with help from Spudz).

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3138435 - 09/15/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by Ayrios (09/15/04 02:18 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3138565 - 09/15/04 02:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

>I'd estimate a gain of 2ml water.

This is nothing. Don't worry about it.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Anno]
    #3138581 - 09/15/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, if you guys say it's no big deal I won't worry. Thanks :smile:

Anonymous

Re: Is something wrong with my pressure cooker? :/ [Re: Anno]
    #3742391 - 02/06/05 10:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Suppose as given that a certain jar completely sealed won?t exploit inside a PC.
Will the content of this jar be sterilized if there are no holes or loose lid in the PC process?

In other words, is it necessary that the pressure, the vapor, the steam, enters inside the jar? Or the heat by itself will sterilize the substrate / honey water / casing material/ what ever.

I?m interested in this cause it would be better to sterilize a syringe, for example, in a sealed jar, that won?t be opened until the syringe is needed. Otherwise, the syringe will get wet in a jar with holes in it.

I have sterilized honey water with completely sealed Ball Jars? they don?t exploit. I just don?t take them out of the PC immediately after. I wait an hour.

I also have the problem Ayrios has. I have come to tape seal 3 of the 4 holes with duct tape, and the 4th with that porose tape, before the ring a layer of foil with a very little hole, and finally, another layer of foil, and over that one, a rubber band. Of 10 jars I always have 2 or 3 that are full of water to the top, unusefull substrate. So I would like to pressure cooker my substrate with sealed jars too.
Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation