Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybinaut
Stranger
Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice?
    #3135492 - 09/14/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I am currently in the beginning phase of cultivating some Golden Teachers. A friend of mine told me that using vermiculite to aid growth will add toxins to the mushrooms and make them worse for your health than mushrooms grown without the presence of Vermiculite...Is there any legitimacy to this, or is it just an urban legend?

Any insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Psilocybinaut]
    #3135505 - 09/14/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

theres asbestos in verm but thats only harmfull to humans because it breaks up to a fine dust and gets cought in our lungs, otherwise you can eat and and not feel a thing. Verm is made of rock, it dosent secrete or contain much toxins.

Edited by Gr0wer (09/14/04 05:20 PM)

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3135593 - 09/14/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The older formula contained asbestos, most now don't and say so loudly on the package - and that's not a toxin it's just a respiratory risk. Verm is made from mica which is a mineral and it is not toxic whatsoever. I'd lean towards urban legend, like brains bleeding and stuff. That or he's just pulling ideas out of his ass.

Of course if you soaked the verm in a solution of mercury/lead/uranium and water, then it would be toxic. Or if you let a bacterial infection go, then it might be toxic. But the verm itself is 'clean' as ever.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3135602 - 09/14/04 05:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

both dry vermiculite and perlite are bad to take into your body, vermiculite used to contain asbestos but from what i gather it now is being made asbestos free, but is also not being made as much at all, and it has become more costly to make, and fewer consumer are mixing their own soil, thanks to pre made potting soils. if you wet perlite or vermiculite before working with it it will keep it from putting of dust, most people still say to use the stuff with a mask on and gloves, its really only a problem if your messing with pounds of the stuff. vermiculite is used as a organic gardening additive. i have never heard of it leaching toxins into things growing in it.? yet i do think you should manicure your mushies after you pick them so no vermiculite is stuck to them, its the least we can do.

Offlinemr_X_
stranger danger

#3135603 - 09/14/04 05:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

what he sead ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3135617 - 09/14/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>theres asbestos in verm

There is no asbestos in vermiculite.
Read http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23253

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Anno]
    #3135720 - 09/14/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thats strange i bought a bag of " professional grade " horticultural vermiculite that has a big yellow sticker on it that says asbestos free. maybe the legend of asbestos in verm has made the company put a sticker on the bag to reassure weary customers. but its still bad to breathe dry verm or perlite, just wet it down. i checked those links anno, thank you, even the f'n epa recommends using pre made potting soils, bastards. the epa also seems to not really pinpoint the source of the asbestos like the other document do, also i wonder if the mined the one area for so many years that some of that verm is still being sold.?? :shrug:

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: zerozero]
    #3135796 - 09/14/04 06:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That is exactly what happened. Now everyone thinks verm is full of "OMG cancer agent" asbestos, and apparently also that it's toxic somehow. But all untrue legends. I would suppose verm based insulation might still be somewhere with asbestos in it. But any new stuff should be clean, I bet they test for it now (thus, they can say "asbestos free" - cuz if it turned out it wasn't then they'd be up class-action creek).

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3139252 - 09/15/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
theres asbestos in verm but thats only harmfull to humans because it breaks up to a fine dust and gets cought in our lungs

From what I read, there was one mine used to get vermiculite (as mica) where some of the product mined was mixed with asbestos. This is not a normal characteristic of vermiculite.

Asbestos only is harmful when inhaled because the particles get past the filter mechanisms of your respiratory system and will cut and scar your lung tissue. As a matter of fact, if you are in a facility with asbestos insulation, and the asbestos is securely covered (not exposed) it is safer to leave it alone than to remove it (which will generate the harmful dust).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Evolving]
    #3139270 - 09/15/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Evolving said:
From what I read, there was one mine used to get vermiculite (as mica) where some of the product mined was mixed with asbestos. This is not a normal characteristic of vermiculite.

Yep, never was a normal characteristic. No old formulas...

OfflineSerialDiscrepancy
Stranger

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Ayrios]
    #11701792 - 12/22/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

how about home depot k-mart and walmart dont even cary vermiculite any more or at least they dont in my side of florida...now i have to go to some special garden store or something just to get some...lame

--------------------

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: SerialDiscrepancy]
    #11702088 - 12/22/09 08:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ace Hardware carries vermiculite, and if not on the shelf they could special order it for you.  Its on the shelf year round at my Ace.

OfflineSerialDiscrepancy
Stranger

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #11702141 - 12/22/09 08:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

good tip..i just got 12 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars for like $10 ordered it online and got free shipping to my local ACE i guess ill just do the same for the vermiculite..i just dont like ordering to many things online its just my paranoia of the government tracking online orders and such but i pick my syringes at an alternative address :cool:

--------------------

Edited by SerialDiscrepancy (12/22/09 08:12 PM)

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11702160 - 12/22/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

seriously?
this is the second old thread you have bumped
and you only t have 3 posts:facepalm:

stop bumping old ass threads

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineSerialDiscrepancy
Stranger

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11702216 - 12/22/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
seriously?
this is the second old thread you have bumped
and you only t have 3 posts:facepalm:

stop bumping old ass threads

-noobie-

sorry guy..but this is one of the threads that came up under vermiculite and asbestos..it would be pretty stupid to start another one DONT YOU THINK

--------------------

Edited by SerialDiscrepancy (12/22/09 08:20 PM)

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

#11702226 - 12/22/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

5 years? Those people are probably all in jail by now.

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: ambargh]
    #11702374 - 12/22/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:crazybeard:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

#11702435 - 12/22/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

this is kind of on topic, but not really:

for a long time, a bunch of trustifarians in my area thought that shrooms would "shrink your muscle mass overnight" and blamed the "wierd gold flecks" on the shrooms claiming that they were some heavy metal that poisoned you.

needless to say::lolsy:

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Citizen13]
    #11702478 - 12/22/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"wierd gold flecks"

thats the good shit..its fairy dust.:w0ahhhhmahnnn:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: Is using vermiculite an unsafe growing practice? [Re: Citizen13]
    #11702497 - 12/22/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

One time I gave my neighbor some mushies that had verm on them, and I was trying to get the little verm specks off at the last minute, and he was like, "No - don't take those off - Those are the spores!" I was like, okay, eat away! lol

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals