Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3135013 - 09/14/04 05:26 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What you said makes a lot of sense.  I think that most of my life I was made to think that there was something wrong with me...lots of meds and hospital visits and such.  But after awhile, I realized that I am not my diagnosis', I am just me. 

So I am at a point where I am beginning to feel comfortable in my crazyness for the first time ever.  I still am wondering if I am nuts because of some stuff but I'm almost able to feel okay about it.  Like 'whatever'.  Insanity vs sanity is an interesting topic for sure. 

:sun:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: MOTH]
    #3135054 - 09/14/04 05:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

When does a belief become a delusion?
that is a funny question :wink: if I had a belief I had an imaginary, "only visible to me" friend cald Robert, and told people about him and talked to him at any given circumstances.
-people would call me crazy right? and maybe put me in an asylum? what i say to that is (may have said it here before though)
How come you end up at a mental house if you have a invisible non-exist ant friend unless you call it God?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: Asante]
    #3135093 - 09/14/04 05:50 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

My personal safetyvalve is the "99% rule": I believe the things I fully believe to the conviction of 99%: I believe the insane asylums and prisons are filled to the brim with people who knew the 100% truth, so i keep a margin of error in everything
"...and that is my Anti-Delusion." :evil:

Thanks for your input, Wiccan Seeker.  I think I'll try and remember to go by that rule also.  :sun:

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #3135117 - 09/14/04 05:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

live and let live... all you need is love. if you need any friendly psychoanalysis/conversation you can PM me, ill try my best to listen or help, whichever you prefer...

peace Ellemysh

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3135369 - 09/14/04 06:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

...the thing here is do your best to think of others instead of yourself, and your delusions will be a positive one.

Sounds good in theory, but history does not suport your hypothesis. Conversion to religions and control, i.e. Drug War, are often done "in the best interests" of the one being controlled by the Missionaries.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: Swami]
    #3135399 - 09/14/04 07:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

you're right swami, on a mass scale, my hypothesis wouldn't work, because the interests of some may conflict with interests of others.

maybe I should say on an individual level perhaps?

or maybe a delusions without ego....

have to think on this more now  :thumbup:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3135423 - 09/14/04 07:04 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Quote:

kaiowas said:
every little thing we do is based on belief.

I think that is incorrect.
what we do is based upon monkey see monkey do, and practice.
even the judgement faculty is rote,
however,
we have the ability to see the moment and steer among our repertoire.

this selection option may be a bit of an opportunity outside of the mechanical nature of personality.

beliefs are not as primal as experience - though they become integrated with it.

to seem more lofty (or less responsible) we practice attributing judgement to our beliefs (especially if shared) but it is really our selves and our accumulated experience.

hmm that's a good point, i think I might have gotten confused with beliefs integrating with our experience.  it's just I'm referring to the decisions we make, are based on what we have experienced differently.  our decisions or judgements of what to do is based on what has already happened before combined with what we learned previously.  a situation would work for one person but not for the other, and so they would have a different view on how things in reality works.

hehe this is an awesome thread!!!  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: Todcasil]
    #3135453 - 09/14/04 07:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Todcasil said:
live and let live... all you need is love.  if you need any friendly psychoanalysis/conversation you can PM me, ill try my best to listen or help, whichever you prefer...

peace Ellemysh

Thank you, I might take you up on that.  :heart:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3136179 - 09/14/04 10:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Generally speaking, when a belief which is the formulation of a Universal Truth becomes interpreted individually and exclusively, delusional thinking occurs. A 'Christ delusion' like the one in 'The Three Christs of Ypsilanti' - a book about the Ypsilanti mental hospital in Michigan, when three patients with the same delusion were put together describes delusional thinking.

In most cases, delusional thinking involves 'ideas of reference,' whereby the individual perceives connections with him/herself that do not exist objectively, e.g., the TV anchor is giving ME a hidden message. The cocaine-induced paranoid delusion that the random car door slamming means 'they're' coming for ME.

Such is the case with schizophrenia, paranoid type, or cocaine-induced psychosis. If a spiritual belief contributes to a whole and balanced life which partakes of transpersonal, universal values such as Compassion, or Wisdom-seeking, or virtues - qualities that enhance human development across moral, psychological, social, affective and physically healthful domains; and it is deemed available to anyone (not idiosyncratic), then the belief is a legitimate form of religious experience, not a delusion.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: When does a belief become a delusion? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3137759 - 09/15/04 07:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

well put, marktheagnostic
but
in view of all beliefs being subject to the nature of delusion, or made of the same material, here is a good point at which the concept of "emptiness" can enter.
i.e. after a fulfilling shot of "realization" comes the sobering measure of "thatness" (or "thisness") tempered by certainty of "emptiness".
course that is deluded as well
(to the max ...or not, moving right along...)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology