Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP!
    #313176 - 05/09/01 02:05 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I want to know if any of you use Ryches revolution in PF style jars...(Ramsey-Seal) Is there a lower contamination ratio evident? I m shure there is , but just want to know if it worths the extra work....cos i think it might be a little bit of an overkill...opinions?

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelateshroom
Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: Sterile]
    #313347 - 05/09/01 06:09 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i'm not using it as you might know.. but that's only because i simply don't understand WHERE i am supposed to stick the tape at all. Hawk got me so confused on this one!

and that I was just doing what was necessary to stay comfortable while I waited to die...
code

--------------------
and then there was light

Anonymous

#313520 - 05/09/01 09:41 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

"Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! "

There are no ramsey seal users, those that try it once, never use it again....... I once took a 100% loss of jars, they all had the 'ramsey-seal' .

Hawke invented the 'ramsey seal'?

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: Anonymous]
    #313602 - 05/09/01 11:06 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, if i remember right........and its all about not leaving the verm touch the substrate, by the use of a tin foil "border" in between them....at least thats what i finally understud although i got really confuzed as well lateshroom.....
I think its quite smart....just by observing the needle which carries pieces of substrate(rice,birdseed...) in ,and on the top of the verm layer, you can tell that a contam \, uses them as steps to your lovely jar....are you shure you did it right Pavlov's Dog?

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Annos Tek

OfflineThe Messiah
    #313612 - 05/09/01 11:20 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

filter disks anyone?

peace, -=To0dLeS=-
TM

--------------------
[green]peace[/green], [blue]~(To0dLeS)~[/blue]
TM

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #313613 - 05/09/01 11:21 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

dude, don't use ramsey seal, this is STUPID, do u like failure are something??

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: Taz]
    #313635 - 05/09/01 11:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

please specify.....dont just say its stupid.
It might be, but a answer like yours, is not much better...
Any personal experience make you say that?
What exactly did you do?(if)

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Loc: MN
    #313637 - 05/09/01 11:48 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure that I qualify because I tried it with rye jars. And it would have worked fine if I didn't screw the water ratio.

They all got taken by yeast.

Damn good bread. MMM.

*I figure I learned you either want air exchange or you don't, and so far all or nothing has been better than some air but not through the seal...

Take it easy. And if it's easy, take it twice!

this excerpt and all characters contained within are entirely fictional. Any similarity to reality or not is completely coincidental...

Edited by MNmyc on 05/10/01 01:54 AM.

--------------------
Life is what happens while you're making other plans...

Anonymous

#313644 - 05/10/01 12:01 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OK, i'll paint you a clear picture of it....... imagine this:

The ramsey seal, you have your substrate, above the substrate is suspended a peice of tin foil, pressed in a 'cup' shape, filled with a little bit of verm. fine. When you pop the needle through the thin verm layer, this leaves a hole, actually 4 holes. After you take the needle out, vermiculite starts to 'pour' through the holes like an hourglass, leaving lots of airiated space and loose vermiculite. Btw, contams do not 'walk' or 'step' down, they just fall in the form of dust and rest in the spot that they fall, till they get blown or shaken or something disturbs them. Usually what happens with a verm barrier in a 1/2 pint is that someone picks the jar up, tilts it, and whatever was 'laying' on top of the verm, usually where the inoculation holes are, gets shuffled until it works its way down to a moist spot on the substrate, and then grows from there. Or the the rim was not wiped. The ramsey seal makes it very easy for this to happen.

Hopefully that might explain a little better for you. At least thats MY reasons for not using it.... PF verm layer works good. Why change it? If you have BAD mold in your area you can always use a thicker verm layer.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#313657 - 05/10/01 12:23 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

What do you mean by "vermiculite starts to 'pour' through' the
holes"??????? You mean vermiculite fits so nicely through the needles holes that it "pours" through them??????
What are using? Vermiculite dust??? Or those big elephant syringes? :) No way the verm pours through them holes....i believe there is no reason for the ramsey seal to not work.(if done properly)....and by steping down, i mean that a small bit of rice, can easily pass through the contamination to a near by bit. :)

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#313658 - 05/10/01 12:26 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Oh , and even if some, does pour in, it has no contams on it...(talking for 2,3 or 4 little bits, who where below the surface of the top layer....) +that they have no place to go...(substrate is underneath,remember?

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

Anonymous

#313672 - 05/10/01 01:02 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Beleive me, in every bag of vermiculite, there is both fine and course grade verm chunks, making up the whole bulk of it. Ok, now lets say a couple of peices DO fall through the holes... before they fell through, the verm was supposed to be 'compact' between the foil and the lid, follow, now that a few grains slipped by... then a few more (unless the jars are not touched at ALL throughout the incubation), now the verm is no longer 'compact' between the lid and the foil because some of it fell through, also now the verm is more easily 'shuffled' around in the 'ramsey pool', causing even more verm to fall through + anything else that has landed on there by now. Do you see what i'm saying here? You could try it and if it works for you go with it, maybe even on one jar just to see. That was my 1 experience with it long ago.

So what do you think sterile, does this make sense to you? :)

Btw, I 'think' it was lizardking who wrote up the MMGG which had the 'ramsey seal' . I dont think ryche hawk spent much time making PFtek variations, but as always, I could be wrong. .

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
    #313682 - 05/10/01 01:35 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I thaught on the ramsey seal you still have some vermiculite on top of your cake, then the foil, then more vermiculite. I think the purpose of it is to create a 'filter' and then after the cakes are colonized with the mycelium you don't use the vermiculite that was on the top of the foil. The purpose of that, from what I understand, is to remove any vermiculite that could contain possible contaminations that creeped in through the holes. If thats not how you're suppose to do the ramsey seal I think it should be, heh. This way, I imagine, would be more sterile and decrease the chances of contams. Then again, I could be really far off ; ) The instructions for the ramsey-seal are confusing. Also, on the idea of who created the ramsey-seal... wonder if there name was ramsey? hehe

"My only fear of death is reincarnation."

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
    #313724 - 05/10/01 03:33 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have used the Ramsey seal with a wonderful success rate. But I am going to try the original soon because I guess MANY people dispute me on the worthwhile-ness of Ramsey. I would like to do a small comparison experiment...if I ever do (probably will) I will post the results.
I think the "hourglass" problem is why most people get screwed. I have been able to avoid that problem most of the time.

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

OfflineGreen Fever
journeyman

Loc: S. Africa
    #313815 - 05/10/01 08:38 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, most of you are wrong about this. I have used the ramsey seal many time with good results.

The ramsey seal is not developed to replace the PF method of sealing a jar. In fact it does not offer much more protection. It was developed by someone wishing to use a verm layer in jars bigger then 1/2 pint or pint jars.Remember this method was developed as a alternative to filter discs and before polifil was thought of as a filter.
As most of you know, when quart jars are used, they are not filled to the top with grain. Now how the hell do you use a verm seal above the substrate. If you put it directly on top, then it gets fucked up when you shake the jar. So seperate it using foil.

When quart are used, one doesn't inocculate in 4 places. Only in one, then shake the jar to distribute. So don't go making a too big hole in the foil with the needle by moving it around.

In short, the ramsey seal works, but don't use it for pints or 1/2 pints. I do think that the polifil option is better nowadays.

peace,

~GF~

Invisiblezero
???
 User Gallery
Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: Green Fever]
    #313823 - 05/10/01 08:46 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

the ramsey-seal works just fine..

--------------------
sk8 or die

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: Green Fever]
    #313842 - 05/10/01 09:28 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

That makes perfect sense ; )
Thanks for straightening that up, if I hadn't found that out I would have probably tried it out on 1/2 pint jars.

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: DarK_SavioR]
    #313909 - 05/10/01 11:07 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

do a backwards ramsey seal, i have always done this and it works great....

put in your substrate
add the verm layer
then place foil
lids, more foil
this also makes it almost impossible to for extra water to get into the jars (if you make the lids even slightly tight)

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: ar393]
    #313911 - 05/10/01 11:10 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

or if you are using bigger jars, fo the ramsey seall the proper way, or use polyfill or filter discs, or just use a layer of foil like i do :)

Anonymous

Re: Ramsey-Seal users...SHOW UP! [Re: ar393]
    #314292 - 05/10/01 07:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Greenfever, that makes sense, especially with 1 hole in the center, being very careful.

Now one way that the 'ramsey' seal might be good even with half pints would be to 'press the foil flat down the sides, all the way down to the substrate, and make it level with it, pressing the foil around the edges, kinda like this |___| shape, then filling it with verm, this might give a 'little' extra protection.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags