Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Cuba: why/what/who.
    #3134207 - 09/14/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

WHY are we still blocking trade and tourists and everything else?

and what/who would it take for this situation to end?

is castro really that horrible of man? when you compare him to his cold war associate (stalin) hes relativly not that bad.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Cuba: why/what/who. [Re: guri]
    #3134223 - 09/14/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

guri said:

Because our government still holds on to the pipe dream that we will one day be able to oust Castro.

Quote:

A collective realization that we are doing more harm than good by having sanctions on this country.

Quote:

is castro really that horrible of man? when you compare him to his cold war associate (stalin) hes relativly not that bad.

Like any dictator, he is responsible for the suppression of dissent in his country. Cuba has quite a few political prisoners, and I'm fairly sure many have been killed for expressing different political views. That said, I guess as far as totalitarians go, he's not all that bad, but that's a pretty low standard to hold someone to. To be honest, I prefer George W. Bush over him, and there's not many people in this world I can say that about.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3134257 - 09/14/04 12:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

One word, three letters: EGO

The embargo is only there becase JFK imposed it with the desire to oust Castro, we were wrong and it did not work. They don't want to admit it even though most Americans IMHO would be for dropping the embargo.

Quote:

Castro's death.

Quote:

is castro really that horrible of man?

he's probably a horrible man but no more horrible than those in charge or China, N. korea and any other isolationist country.

Quote:

when you compare him to his cold war associate (stalin) hes relativly not that bad.

he was merely a puppet of the old Soviet Union, his loyalties to them were as deep as the amount of money the Soviets gave him to be loyal. Once the cold war ended so did the association between the Soviets and Castro.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cuba: why/what/who. [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3134277 - 09/14/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> WHY are we still blocking trade and tourists and everything else?

Pure and simple... Votes.

> is castro really that horrible of man?

Donno... I have never met him.

Adding to this topic... I have been thinking about sanctions quite a lot lately, and I am failing to see the justification in them. How does harming a people help change the way a leader behaves? The leader isn't harmed by the sanctions, only the people. We keep slamming sanctions on countries, so I must be missing something, but I donno what...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Re: Cuba: why/what/who. [Re: Seuss]
    #3134287 - 09/14/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i think the idea is, it wouldnt look good for hour image if we invade (militarily hurt them) but if we hurt thier economy perhaps the country will submit to our will.

maybe i used some wrongs terms (sounds kidna good vs evil) but the idea is, if a country is doing something that other countries find moraly or ethicly wrong, but nothing worthy of invasion, they often impose embargoes, just because its not really as hardcore as war.

sometimes they can lead to war, look at WWII, we imposed all sorts of shit on japan before we where involved. eventually they attacked us.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3134424 - 09/14/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i think the idea is, it wouldnt look good for hour image if we invade (militarily hurt them)

we did, Bay of Pigs.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Cuba: why/what/who. [Re: Seuss]
    #3134630 - 09/14/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Seuss wrotes:

The leader isn't harmed by the sanctions, only the people.

In the case of Cuba, even the people aren't harmed by the sanctions. The sanctions apply only to US goods and citizens. There is virtually nothing that Cuba could get from the US that they can't get from other countires such as Canada, England, France, Germany, etc.

The harm to Cuba's people comes from the totalitarian policies of Castro and his collectivist approach to the economy. Even if the US were to drop sanctions tomorrow, the Cubans would be no better off. They'd have no more money to buy goods from the US tomorrow than they do to buy the exact same goods from Canada today.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3134840 - 09/14/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cuba is a non factor. We make Castro a hero by paying so much attention to them. He stands up against the mighty US, and some people look up to him for that.

I say we should let them trade whatever they want with us. We should open up our trade to all nations and stop playing politics with our economy. Castro isn't our problem, he is the problem of the people of Cuba. He is going to die. We should give him aid for the hurricane, open up our markets, and try to encourage him to promote democracy in his will so that after he dies his people have a chance at freedom.

Castro has been a disaster for Cuba.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Cuba: why/what/who. [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3138205 - 09/15/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

We should give him aid for the hurricane

as a side note, we did offer assistance and he said no thanks.  As for the rest of your post  :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale