Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics)
    #3134659 - 09/14/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys. This is my imaginary friend's second grow. He'd like some feed back and to ask a few questions about what's going on with his batch. There were orginally 36 BRF PFTek cakes, one was contaminated with black mold while incubating, the rest were all pretty much 100% colonized with no major problems. He put the best 8 into his first casing, second best 8 into his second casing, and remaining 18 into an aquarium with perlite at the base. (Yes, that leaves one extra cake, which is sitting in his desk in the jar still... he hasn't decided what to do with it). The perlite cakes have been in the aquarium 9 [edit: not 19] days. Here's some pics of how the cakes are going:

You can see that some cakes aren't pinning at all or very little. There is also a wierd stem color blob on one cake. Here's a better shot of that:

Will this thing pin mushrooms. Will it grow out to a more defined blob that I can harvest and eat?

Then there is the casings. The first casing (the one with the best cakes in it) incubated at a much faster rate so my imaginary friend birthed it into an aquarium after 3 days, after coldshocking it for 12 hours (It's warm where my imaginary friend lives, >80 inside a lot of the time). Here's a shot of the casing now (6 days after being birthed):

How even of a pin set do you guys think this will produce? Here is a closer shot of the surface:

Are those knots looking about what my friend wants? The past few days have been cooler so the temps haven't climbed above 80. When it was warmer he had all three aquariums on a large tupperware container which he rountinely stocked with ice to cool everything down a bit. Do you think he should ice everything down to get pins (and more pins on the cakes)?
The slower casing was birthed one and a half days later. He cold shocked if 24 hours and it has been out for 4 days now. Here's a pic:

Does this need to incubate more? Should he ice everything down to drop the temps to around 70 for a day or so?

Welp, that's everything so far. My friend has been fanning with a magazine and small room fan every three or for hours. Also has been misting when needed but lately my friend decided to lay off on the mist due to the mycelium growth on the stems. Any comments and sugestions would be great.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Wulff (09/14/04 02:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: Wulff]
    #3134718 - 09/14/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like you need to do some patch casing to me.  Especially that first casing.    Once you see mycelium poking through the casing layer, but the surface of the casing is not yet colonized, you should initiate pinning.  Look at this:  http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23444

:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Edited by atomic1 (09/14/04 02:31 PM)

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: atomic1]
    #3134737 - 09/14/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Really? I figured with the knots that far along and the mycelium covering more than 2/3s of the surface it would be better to leave it alone. Patch casing would mean covering almost all of the surface again. I should still do it?

What about the second casing? Don't patch?

Edit: Ok, I see what you mean. So it would be better to cover that whole left colonized portion with casing soil than leave it the way it is. But it has been in the chamber with light, fanning, and FAE for 5 days and continues to grow. It's GT. Should I patch and then ice it down or leave it be after I patch?

Edited by Wulff (09/14/04 02:36 PM)

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3134832 - 09/14/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thats what i would've done but you've got me second guessing myself since you've got those knots. I'd like to hear what someone else has to say.

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
    #3134874 - 09/14/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

...so would I...
Seems like those knots are just about to pin.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3134877 - 09/14/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>But it has been in the chamber with light, fanning, and FAE for 5 days

Too late, don't patch it. If it took 5 days to get to that stage you are fine. Then again if you put a very thin layer or just sprinkled a tiny bit onto it I don't see how that could hurt it.

-FF

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: fastfred]
    #3134927 - 09/14/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

But what would it do to help? Initiate pinning faster?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3134977 - 09/14/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wulff said:
But what would it do to help? Initiate pinning faster?

that will come in time...

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineMax1
Maxamil
Male

#3135165 - 09/14/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Overlay isnt as big a problem as many make it sound. At least not in my opinion any way. I am sure that its better to not let it overlay in the first place but as far as ive seen, once it overlays you should just let it go. recasing just slows things down. You are already seeing pins so I would let it go.

Look at this pic....many said it was BADLY overlayed but I stuck to my gut and let it go.

Here is the results

I dont like to mess with my casings after they get that far along..
I let nature take its course.

Just my 2 cents

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: Max1]
    #3135212 - 09/14/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Max I feel exactly the same way.

Here is a old post of mine on just that

A little something on overlay
Not all of it is  that bad. The stuff that looks like a doormat is what you want to avoid. The stuff that looks like white pudding will pin. This is for those of us who are to lazy to patch.

turns to then to

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but a lot of people overly panic over it.  :grin:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: Magash]
    #3135585 - 09/14/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mag, what type of casing did you use for that- and what temperature did you fruit it at? I'm just worried because the knots are just becoming fatter and more pronounced. They are looking more and more like big white beans on dirt and in some places small califlower. What was the time difference between your first picture and your second?

I could just be tripping out and its just about to pin, but it'd nice to know for peace of mind that I'm on the right track.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3135671 - 09/14/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Max1 said:
Overlay isnt as big a problem as many make it sound. At least not in my opinion any way. I am sure that its better to not let it overlay in the first place but as far as ive seen, once it overlays you should just let it go. recasing just slows things down. You are already seeing pins so I would let it go.

Look at this pic....many said it was BADLY overlayed but I stuck to my gut and let it go.

Here is the results

Just my 2 cents

Whoever said that was overlayed knows nothing my friend as that is as near perfect as a casing can look especially if thats 4-5 days after initiating (that would be absolutely perfect initiation timing! Nice job Max1

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: hyphae]
    #3135866 - 09/14/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hell yeah, max! Both pictures are picture perfect. Bravo!

--------------------

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
    #3136024 - 09/14/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Max1 said:

Here is the results

Just my 2 cents

whoever said yours was overlaid was retarded, that is a very nice looking casing and im not suprised at all at the results... the pics in the top of this tread however are very badly overlaid lol...

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: Tremor1127]
    #3136031 - 09/14/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

whoops, looks like a copycat post, just good eyes...

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
    #3136823 - 09/14/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wait... my first casing is "badly overlaid"? When I posted these pics I wasn't thinking it was overlaid at all. If this is the case what should I do? Will coldshocking again help? Covering the whole casing with anohter layer of dirt? What exactly makes my casing overlaid. Is it the clumps of mycelium as oposed to the wispy look of the other pics posted? I really want to do what I can to get a good flush here- if I'm not on the way what can I do to change that?(before it's too late)

Edited by Wulff (09/14/04 10:21 PM)

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3137209 - 09/15/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Whoa, there! Tremor was talking about and showing pics of his first casing, which people told him was badly overlaid. But they were intensely wrong.

Yours are fine, it seems. You could 'patch' them both though, just a light layer (just enough to cover) over all the visible white stuff. You should redo this each time until it comes in very even, just like the pics Tremor posted above.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Re: Can I get some expert opinions? (many pics) [Re: Spudz76]
    #3145284 - 09/16/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Spudz76 said:
Whoa, there! Tremor was talking about and showing pics of his first casing, which people told him was badly overlaid. But they were intensely wrong.

your lost dude... none of these pics in this thread were posted by me...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3145834 - 09/16/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yep that was Max's casings that were "badly overlaid" (not).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineneakah
Female
    #15937470 - 03/12/12 12:18 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

FUCK THE SHROOMERY :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey: :datass: :kingcrankey:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder