Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
popcorn grain spawn inquiry
    #3132078 - 09/13/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I do't want to take up too much space with a post that might be beating a dead horse, but . . .
been investigating alternative grains to rye (since for some reason i cannot find rye locally, and i don't know why) and popcorn seems to be a valid alternative. done the homework, but i would like a more personal opinion on the experiences other mycologists have had working with popcorn.
interested in info on colonization times, casing, and potential problems i might encounter working with popcorn. any personal anecdotes would be most welcome.
thanks in advance,

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYompoon
shroomer

Re: popcorn grain spawn inquiry [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3132287 - 09/13/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

popcorn is what i have used ever since i started , takes a while to get used to but once u get it, its a great tool, it colonizes fast at 86 f but all substratess do but popcorn can do a week colinization or 4 weeks , thats why u gotta towl dry the popcorn after hydrating it, popcorn has enough h20 insid, better to dry than too wet

poptential problems would be not hydrating it to the certain water content thats why sum shroomers and i reconmend pressure cooker hydration. or not letting the nasties on and in popcorn germinate before pc hydration or boil or the popcorn being wet on the outsides witch can stop or slow down conlinization.

heres a link to the first ever popcorn thread on shroomery study it. Then go to mycotopia and do a scearch on popcorn many info and many days of study but its well worth it.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=1152356

googluck

Offlinescotthorn9
Stranger
    #3132312 - 09/13/04 10:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,
I have no experience with rye, but popcorn was my first, and so far, my favorite substrate. The stuff you read about a lot of inherent bacterial endospores is true, therefore a soak before pc-ing is beneficial not just for water content but to germinate those things also. This is not a must however. On my last attempt I was in a bit of a hurry so instead of the usual 24 hour soak, I pc-ed for about at 30-45 minutes at 12 psi, and then let the grains soak in hot water (total about 4 hours with pc and soak) until they were almost the consistency of fresh raw corn on the inside (maybe slightly harder than al dente, it's hard to describe the texture your looking for). Out of the 12 pint jars, inocced with liquid culture, none have contamed, 2 are 95 percent, and the other ten are between 30 and 80 percent colonized after about 12-14 days with incubation between 80-85. 2 taped innoc holes and a central 3/8ths inch polyfil-stuffed hole were the only modifications to the lids. Rinsing the corn very very thoroughly before loading into the jars seems to help a lot too.
I've never used the popcorn to spawn any other substrate thoguh. Bulk straw has always interested me. How challenging is a small straw spawn from another grain?
Scott

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: popcorn grain spawn inquiry [Re: scotthorn9]
    #3132364 - 09/13/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I usually expand the popcorn to 2X it's origional volume.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

#3133480 - 09/14/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the info and continued input guys!

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Re: popcorn grain spawn inquiry [Re: Yompoon]
    #3155097 - 09/20/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the link and suggestions. will let all know how goes.

tke

--------------------
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds