Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Confused, stressed, and tired
    #3128550 - 09/13/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hi folks. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I'm going to try to make this as concise as possible. I literally went from sitting on my ass, thinking about things, smoking weed, etc. to a full blown 24/7 mental workout. I have 29 hours of class per week (I decided to take a language class this semester which really tipped it over the hours/per/week) in addition to studying (the Berkeley College of Engineering is RELENTLESS, believe me), a demanding consulting job, club involvement, and perhaps in the near future, a girlfriend. I also want to work out and practice my piano (my love), but there simply is no time. I fear that I'll get too old and have life pass me by, but these are things that must be done in order to achieve my dreams.

I'm just extremely stressed out. I'm guessing that I have poor time management (obviously), but I want to be happy again. Anyone can give me some tips? I like to lounge around a little bit per day in order to give myself a break, but I'm not sure how that will work out in the upcoming weeks.

Any and all advice will be considered and appreciated.

Thanks.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: daba]
    #3128690 - 09/13/04 07:34 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

My Berkeley friend also is habitually overstressed to the point of unhealthiness as well. I think you could safely drop your language right now which would free up a large chunk of your time...unless you need it for credit.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3128901 - 09/13/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

2 years back I was working as a plant manager. I worked 12-18 hours 6 days a week. I was responsable for 160 + people on 2 shifts.

I was going crazy. I had huge amounts of stress. The key is being able to set your mind up for relaxation aleast an hour before leaving.

I would think of myself leaving and relaxing. So when I left work I was already relaxed. It is a mental game you have to play.

I don't think dropping any class is very smart. It is the lesson you are learning that will allow you to out perform others in the work place. By making yourself learn how to deal with it will make you strong.

Let me ask you this....When a runner who is training for the next event says " my legs hurt too much today. I think I'll just sit the next training day out"

What is going to happen to him??? Yes, he isn't going to win is he?? Because when the training gets ruff he doesn't fight and strive forward.

You are fighting and training for life. And I'm telling you, when stress gets you down. Learn how to enjoy stress. Stress in the workplace is a grand expereince or a nightmare. Only you have to choice.

I think if you can learn how to deal with it now. Then when you boss expect you to be superman, and they will, you can show qualities that most sheep wont be able to puke up in the best days.

I can only hope you see what I am saying

Move forward
Have guts
Be dogged determined
Find joy in stress
Reward yourself when you can
Look forward
See the end goal

Never take your eyes off your future.

I think you are doing great. Just by you saying your stressing tells me you have Backbone.

You'll be fine.
Have some pride in your suffering
Only the strong survive
Choose not to be weak but to be strong
Everything for your success is within you.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3128999 - 09/13/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That's GREAT advise Fucknuckle, you've given me some motivation!

Thank You! :heart:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3129135 - 09/13/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah Thanks!! Desiree. You always have something nice to say
But,
Those lips motivate me to hit a lick

I gotta go now

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Anonymous #1

#3129573 - 09/13/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you have so much to do now,
focus on the key things
pick out what you think is the most important out of all those things
and when you're older you'll have nothing but time to do the things you love
that's what getting old is truly about
it's not about dying at all, it's about living life to the fullest

take her easy dude
you have your whole life

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
    #3130576 - 09/13/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

all that hard work will pay off daba, you have a very bright future ahead of you.

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3131423 - 09/13/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

do what you need to do daba, but stop and smell the roses once ina while too!  That isn't to say drop your extra class, but just working all the time with no room for play will leave you feelimg imbalanced.

I used to the be the same way (doing 20 plus credits in college) and I realized something, that all I ever did was work, instead of also enjoying my youth once in a while.  like I said, once in a while, doesn't mean to say don't keep working your ass off :wink:

I hope I don't start sounding preachy here :grin:

while you may be physically and mentally tired, don't physically and mentally strain yourself either. like fucknuckle said, get your mind calm an hour before hand, because you can do the same thing without being stressed out right?  it doesn't help you.

stress comes from the ego, cause it doesn't agree with what's going on in reality.  even if you are under tons of supposed pressure, you can still be happy and not stressed. just try not to impose your will on reality as much, (so then when reality doesn't conform with your ways of thinking, you won't be left upset or frustrated).

sure you have lots to do, but you can do it way more efficiently with a positive attitude.  actually, you will be able to learn how to work faster by knowing how to deal with stress and getting rid of it, because it is only you making yourself stressed. if you do this, you'll start bettering yourself as a person, and realize that you have always had enough to be happy. take control of your feelings, because that's also important too!

and as everyone says here, your hard work will pay off daba, jsut take it easy once in a while too :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: kaiowas]
    #3131545 - 09/13/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

thats some good advice

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3131716 - 09/13/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All negativity is caused by an accumulation of such psychological time and denial of the present, which stems from identifying yourself with the ego/mind, which is always muddied up in the future and or the past -- which are both non-existent as there is only the eternal Now. 
Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry -- all forms of fear -- are caused by too much future, and not enough presence.
Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past and not enough presence.

To be identified with your mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation. This creates an endless preoccupation with past and future and unwillingness to honor and acknowledge the present moment and allow it to be. The compulsion arises because the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment in whatever form. Both are illusions.

Identification with the mind gives it more energy; observation of the mind withdraws energy from it. Identification with the mind creates more time; observation of the mind opens up the dimension of the timeless. The energy that is withdrawn from the mind turns into presence. Once you feel what it means to be present; it becomes much easier to simply choose to step out of the time dimension whenever time is not needed for practical purposes and move more deeply into the Now. This does not impair your ability to use time -- past or future -- when you need to refer to it for practical matters. Nor does it impair your ability to use your mind. In fact, it enhances it. When you do use your mind, it will be sharper, more focused.

Be present as the watcher of your mind -- of your thoughts and emotions as well as your reactions in various situations. Be at least as interested in your reactions as in the situation or person that causes you to react. Notice also how often your attention is in the past or future. Don't judge or analyze what you observe. Watch the thought, feel the emotion, observe the reaction. Don't make a personal problem out of them. You will feel something more powerful than any of those things that you observe: the still, observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher -- the timeless and eternal entity.

The whole essence of Zen consists in walking along the razor's edge of Now -- to be so utterly, so completely present that no problem, no suffering, nothing that is not who you are in your essence, can survive in you. In the Now, in the absence of time, all your problems dissolve. Suffering needs time; it cannot survive in the Now.

Marinate in this quote, which parallels this ancient wisdom eloquently:
"PSYCHOLOGICAL SUNSHINE

There is a psychological law with enough sunshine to cheer up the
most gloomy and defeated person on earth. Here it is: No man know-
ingly works against his own true nature. Before reading on, review
that sentence. Even a glimpse of its significance can start your
life on the upward path.

The word 'knowingly' deserves special attention. Any action taken
against ourselves is performed unconsciously. Because we have not
studied ourselves we do not see how we step on our own toes. As a
simple example, Mr. A puts pressure on Mr. B, perhaps socially, po-
litically, religiously, in office or home. The very wish to apply
pressure is Mr. A's own punishment, for no one can hurt another
without already having that hurt within himself.

Since it is psychic sleep that makes us work against ourselves,
the solution is obvious. We must wake up. It is the awakening of
self-knowledge that does the work for us.

From now on, be on your own side."

:heart:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3137532 - 09/15/04 02:38 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the motivation everyone. I'm really working hard to conquer these tasks. It's just a transitional period, I suppose. Every single moment of my waking hours is reserved for something.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#3137543 - 09/15/04 02:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would be happy to be that busy right now, even though it sounds crazy I envy you... I have been doing nothing since I graduated early, and I havent really read that many books (actually none at all lol) or done anything active with friends. So like ya im just a loser, and it sucks. Im starting college soon, so hopefully that will get me out of this bullshit trance state im in. But seriously being active isnt that bad, its only a problem when other people start to notice it, but if you can keep yourself OK around other people id say your doing good. Mental break downs by yourself when you have a few minutes of spare time are somewhat normal when you have such a busy schedual like you do. Maybe I shouldnt be giving advice right now, but its like I need to, to help myself lol. Im going through alot of stress over nothing, which is the worst.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Confused, stressed, and tired [Re: whole9]
    #3137606 - 09/15/04 03:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Enjoy it while you can, really.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom