Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
US acknowledgement
    #3129575 - 09/13/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Finally, the US has acknowledged that the killings in the Darfur region can be classified as GENOCIDE. Maybe this will put the fire under GW to take some increased action.

link

U.S. Calls Killings In Sudan Genocide
Khartoum and Arab Militias Are Responsible, Powell Says

By Glenn Kessler and Colum Lynch
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 10, 2004; Page A01

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said for the first time yesterday that genocide has taken place in Sudan and that the government in Khartoum and government-sponsored Arab militias known as Janjaweed "bear responsibility" for rapes, killings and other abuses that have left 1.2 million black Africans homeless.

Powell's long-awaited declaration -- the result of months of investigation and discussion within the State Department -- is intended to increase pressure on the Sudanese government to end the violence in Sudan's Darfur region. But refugee organizations and aid groups said it also will make it much harder for the Bush administration to step away from the problem if its diplomatic efforts are unsuccessful.

Speaking to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Powell said: "We concluded -- I concluded -- that genocide has been committed in Darfur and that the government of Sudan and the Janjaweed bear responsibility -- and genocide may still be occurring."

Powell's statement came as the United States began negotiations at the United Nations on a Security Council resolution that threatens to consider new sanctions against Sudan if it fails to crack down on the militias, and calls for the establishment of a U.N. commission of inquiry to determine whether Sudan and the militia are responsible for genocide. A finding of genocide does not impose obligations on the United States, but as a signatory to the 1948 Genocide Convention, the United States is committed to preventing and punishing genocide.

Sudanese officials reacted angrily to Powell's announcement, saying it will only make it more difficult to resolve what they describe as an internal problem. At the United Nations, officials from a number of Security Council member nations expressed concern that Powell's statement would complicate efforts to win broad support for a new resolution. Both the African Union and the Arab League have said there is no genocide. The European Union said it does not have enough information.

Powell cited a report released by the State Department yesterday that found a "consistent and widespread pattern of atrocities committed against non-Arab villagers." The report, based on 1,136 interviews with refugees this summer, said 61 percent had witnessed the killing of a family member and 16 percent had been raped or had heard about a rape victim. About one-third had heard racial epithets while they were being attacked, the report said.

For the moment, a declaration of genocide by the United States has little practical effect. But coming in the midst of continuing attacks, it puts the imprimatur of the world's most powerful nation on a serious and grave charge against Sudan, possibly setting in motion an inquiry that ultimately could result in war crimes tribunals. Other recent instances of genocide, such as in Rwanda and Cambodia, were recognized only long after the crimes.

When Powell visited Darfur in June, he resisted questions about whether the abuses amounted to genocide, saying "what we are seeing is a disaster, a catastrophe, and we can find the right label for it later." The U.S. Congress has since passed a resolution urging the administration to label the Darfur situation a genocide, and the Sudanese government has failed to comply with a U.N. resolution passed July 30 calling on it to end the suffering.

State Department officials familiar with Powell's deliberations said he decided last week he needed to make a clear statement at the Senate hearing. Over the weekend, he took home the State Department report and concluded that Khartoum was complicit in genocide because he had put the government on notice two months ago, laying out what officials needed to do to end the violence, and they had not acted.

Another factor in Powell's decision was that Sudan is a signatory to the 1948 U.N. Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, which defines genocide as a calculated effort to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group in whole or in part. The convention calls on signatories to prevent and punish genocide.

"The acts are clearly genocidal," said one senior U.S. official familiar with the debate. "The question was the intent" of the government.

Security Council members Britain, Spain and Germany back U.S. efforts to establish a commission of inquiry. But some European diplomats expressed concern that Powell's statement would complicate efforts to win broader support. China warned that it may veto the resolution, noting that it does not believe genocide has occurred. "There are problems in Darfur, but we don't see it as that category," said Wang Guangya, China's ambassador to the United Nations. The council should "come up with constructive ideas to help solve the problem, not to make the problem more complicated."

Pakistan's ambassador, Munir Akram, said Powell's statement has weakened Washington's case for the commission because it prejudged the outcome. "If you already brand it as genocide even before an inquiry, I think that might be more difficult."

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: US acknowledgement [Re: Skikid16]
    #3130054 - 09/13/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You miss the point entirely. The US is the first government to officially brand it genocide -- something Kofi Annan and his bum boys at the UN have scrupulously avoided doing. The US is taking the lead in condemning it, fa cryin' out loud!

Sheesh.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: US acknowledgement [Re: Phred]
    #3130094 - 09/13/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I'll be damned. 

Powell aint all that bad.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#3130750 - 09/13/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A question to all of you out there:

What, if any, action should the US government take?

I feel that military action is more justified in Sudan than it was in Iraq, but I'm not sure if I think it should get to that point.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3130874 - 09/13/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The difference is that Hussein expanded his horrorshow beyond his borders and thus became free game. We're busy. How about some of the phonies doing something about this one. We won't complain. Oh wait, there's no money in it for them. Nevermind.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: US acknowledgement [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3130886 - 09/13/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The difference is that Hussein expanded his horrorshow beyond his borders and thus became free game

When, 12 years ago?

This shit is happening right now.

How can you say that if a government keeps its atrocities within its boarders, its alright?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3130929 - 09/13/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not. It just makes it easier in terms of getting other countries to do anything. The craven cowards of Europe (and I know you know who I'm talking about) are all talk. We're busy. Let those cunts do something for a change.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: US acknowledgement [Re: Phred]
    #3130945 - 09/13/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, be easy on Skikid... you have to hand it to him he's the least stubborn in his beliefs of everyone in PAL.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: US acknowledgement [Re: Zahid]
    #3131040 - 09/13/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Hey, be easy on Skikid... you have to hand it to him he's the least stubborn in his beliefs of everyone in PAL.

Yeah, I mean screw you, I mean thanks.........

I'm so confused :eek:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#3131091 - 09/13/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The craven cowards of Europe (and I know you know who I'm talking about) are all talk. We're busy. Let those cunts do something for a change.

So you feel the US should do nothing? Fair enough. It is your opinion and you entitled.

I just can't believe we are standing by while thousands are systematically murdered by militias backed by the Sudenese government.

I mean, everyone who ever said "at least the Iraqis don't have to live in fear anymore" are complete hypocrites if they feel nothing should be done in Sudan (I'm not refering to you Zappa, I don't know your thoughts on Iraq as a humanitarian exercise) . But that is just my opinion.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
    #3131190 - 09/13/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Its funny how this genocide has been going on for a decade, its just that the location has changed to Darfur and suddenly everyone cares for some reason. FUck the Sudanese government

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: US acknowledgement [Re: Buddha5254]
    #3131211 - 09/13/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just became aware of it in the last few months.

And, I don't think everyone, let alone most people care.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3132206 - 09/13/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If we're going to police part of the world that isn't our own, we should police all of the world that isn't our own...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: US acknowledgement [Re: thieverycorp]
    #3132214 - 09/13/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OK, so do you feel we should initiate any action in regards to Sudan?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

#3132227 - 09/13/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, we've set a precedent as being the global security force and we're supposed to be fighting a war on terrorism...
this is government sanctioned terrorism...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#3132282 - 09/13/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I see, thank you for the clairfication.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

#3132319 - 09/13/04 10:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm saying we can't be humanatarians part of the time... we can't invade one country based on humanatarian(that's one of the reasons we invaded Iraq, right? :whatever:) and not invade another country where atrocities are being committed... we are either all the way or not at all...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#3132341 - 09/13/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I hear you, while I don't think we should be going around invading all over, I also don't think we should blatantly ignore atrocities.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3133256 - 09/14/04 05:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The UK supposedly drew up plans to send in 5,000 troops but for whatever reason they weren't implemented. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the UN not wanting to label the crisis genocide and protests in Sudan.

Though, as far as i'm aware we are helping to fund the African Union force there at the moment...

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #3133291 - 09/14/04 05:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The difference is that Hussein expanded his horrorshow beyond his borders and thus became free game.

Silly boy. That only applies to oil war 1. oil war 2 was about wmd/regime change/saving people (its good to provide options for the gullible)

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom