Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKrissKross
Stranger
 User Gallery
North West British Columbia
    #3125132 - 09/12/04 04:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone ever gone mushroom picking in N. West BC or the Queen Charlotte islands? I live near the northern coast of BC (near Prince Rupert) and would be interested to know what species to be looking for and what season to hunt in.(the literature on this seems to be scarce and unspecific so far.) I have heard you can buy garbage bags full of mushrooms for $350 in the queen charlottes right now but I'm not sure, although I know it is a shroom hotspot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: North West British Columbia [Re: KrissKross]
    #3125164 - 09/12/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Psilocybe Semilanceata
Psilocybe Baeocystis
Psilocybe Stuntzii

Here's a good guide:
http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species.htm

don't eat anything not IDed by a professional

--------------------
]

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #3125291 - 09/12/04 06:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

wow man , you are so close to the Queen Charlottes. I hear that those islands are an excellent place for mushrooms. you are lucky you live so close. I would like to go picking there sometime. Another good place for mushroom picking that you live close to is Nass Valley. A prized edible that are now in season that ppl go commerical picking for in that area is matsutake.
I would also look for chanterelles.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3125581 - 09/12/04 10:26 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

one mof my sisters lives on the charolettes. i think i remembter her saying there is good picking up there. here old boyfriend was a mycologist, so i guess they moved there for a reason.

GREAT veiws when you picking too!!!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineKrissKross
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: North West British Columbia [Re: billbraski]
    #3128843 - 09/13/04 09:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Another good place for mushroom picking that you live close to is Nass Valley. A prized edible that are now in season that ppl go commerical picking for in that area is matsutake.
I would also look for chanterelles.

Ya another mushroom people go hunting for alot there are Pine mushrooms (something tells me it may be the same thing as a matsutake.) but do you know If I these edibles are found in the same places as the actives?.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3129747 - 09/13/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You can usually find P. baeocystis, P. stuntzii (blue ringers), P. fimetaria (Also blue Ringers) in lawns at this time of the year, new lawns with sprinkler systems and well manicured and cared for and constantly refertilized. You can also sometimes find either P. semilanceata or P. strictipes in some lawns (they are liberty caps).

In the pastures you will find mostly liberty caps (P. semilanceata and P. strictipes and some P. sierrae, the latter with a slight ring resembles both liberty caps and blue ringers)), they grow attached to the roots of wild grasses and never in Manure. P. sierrae looks similar to P semilanceata and sometimes close to P. stuntzii and P. fimetaria. they can be found rarely in manure in pastures.

In the later part of the fall, look in public places such as condos, apts compelxes, new office building gardens int he wood chips for P. baeocystis, P. cyanescens and P. stuntzii. In the later fall months if you have clearcuts in the woods where cedar is logged out and alder trees began to grow you can find thousands of P. pelliculosa.

Those are common species in the PNW. Most show or exhibit some form of bluing reaction when handled or from falling leaves and twigs, or from insects eating the shrooms or from human handling.

Good luck. Look for mushrooms with chocolate colored looking gills and sporeprints of a chocolate-to -purple- or dark chocolate-purple color.

And avoid white gilled or orange to cinnamon colored gilled shrooms as those are onew which are deadly poisonous species. There are of course, edible white gilled shrooms and orange gilled shrooms but it is better to be safe than dead (sorry).
mj

Avoid shrooms with white or orange to cinnamon colored gills.

mju

Edited by mjshroomer (09/14/04 06:13 AM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3130590 - 09/13/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the best place for you to start is at mushroom johns website.

if you thirst for more knowledge on the subject,
get the book Psilocybian Mushrooms of the World
by Paul Stamets.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures