Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
a question of needle diamater
    #3128835 - 09/13/04 11:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I currently only have 2 syringes. One has a considerable larger diamater needle. It seems that the jars I innoculated with the larger needle did better then the ones where I used the smaller diamater needle. It seems logical that a thicker needle would have it's advantage in delivering the spores thoroughly.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: a question of needle diamater [Re: Cornelius]
    #3128889 - 09/13/04 12:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think there would be a general rule regarding this.  The needle only controls the flow rate of spore solution coming out (obviously) so it would be a question of the differences of distribution (ie, did the large needle deliver a solution to a larger area).

It is not really logical to suggest that thicker needles would have and advantage. If anything the thinner one would because it would come out slower, thus allowing you to move the needle around and get a larger distribution to substrate (like the effect of shaking the jars after) but even then it requires that the comparison be with the same force applied to the syringe plunger :smile:

Anyway, I'm talking in riddles.. net result: this debate has far too many variables for any conclusions to be made.

Incidentally, you could say that it takes longer to suck spore solution into the syringe at syringe making time with the thinner needle, thus increasing the time exposed to potentially hostile air full of contaminants.  As I posted before, I had a needle so small it seriously took me about 2 mins to pull into a 20 ml syringe :smile:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: a question of needle diamater [Re: utopianglory]
    #3129000 - 09/13/04 12:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A small needle might be more likely to plug up and act as a filter which could reduce the amount of spores that actualy got out of the syringe. Stick with larger needles.

-FF

Offlinetoikey
novice
Loc: Perth, Australia
Re: a question of needle diamater [Re: fastfred]
    #3129262 - 09/13/04 01:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

agreed
i tried to use the syringes u get in needle packs cos they are hard to come by over here
my results - dont waste ur time the thin needles get blocked too easily, melt and distort easier during steralisation and generally caused trouble
i only stick to needles borrowed from doctor frends:)as wide gauge as possible!

OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: a question of needle diamater [Re: toikey]
    #3129333 - 09/13/04 02:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes - this all pretty much confirms what I was thinking. But it's so hard to find large diamater needles. I think every drugstore in my area thinks that I'm a heroine addict now  :tongue:

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: a question of needle diamater [Re: Cornelius]
    #3129349 - 09/13/04 02:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Feed stores are your best bet Cornelius. Drugstores are not going to carry the sizes you want. If they ever really suspected you of drugs the fact you're wanting to buy such a big needle kind of dispells that concept.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation