Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Holmes HAP240 air purifier, slight modifications.
    #3128684 - 09/13/04 09:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all, this is my first post to the forum though I've been lurking for a while now. I'm getting ready to to start my first experiments, just waiting for my spores. Anyways....

I have a Holmes HAP240 air purifier with a HEPA filter, probably the cheapest purifier you can get, but I'm working in a small closet so I don't need anything huge. I've had the unit for a while now and it was a bit dirty so I took it apart to clean the living bejesus out of it. After i took off the bottom portion I noticed that where the bottom of the HEPA filter sits there is this sort of grill that prevents the filter from completely sealing. They put this crappy piece of foam down there but I doubt that it does anything at all, so I took it out and replaced it with a piece of 3/8" thick adhesive backed weather stripping. Upon further inspection I noticed other places where the filter doesn't quite seal. So, i took the weather stripping , wrapped it around the entire filter (behind the rim where the gasket is mounted). Then I took some short pieces and doubled them back on themselves and shoved them into the corners with the filter in place. This is just an assumption here, but I'd guess that by doing that I've greatly reduced the possibility of unfiltered air being tossed back out of the unit.

My next step is to potentially seal up the seams on the front of the unit. maybe just tape them. I'm also considering replacing the prefilter with something a little better, like a piece of a duct filter like you can get at the hardware store. Of course, I'm not sure if these mods will affect the unit's life or not.

thanks for all of your wonderful help, this site rocks. I'll be sure to post my results in a few months!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Holmes HAP240 air purifier, slight modifications. [Re: xistenz]
    #3129603 - 09/13/04 03:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks !
Well, you'll only know it works when you try it, but if it's all sealed, i believe you should be ok.
Anyway, i just hope to see your results in another forum besides contamination forum :wink:
Good luck !

Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.

Re: Holmes HAP240 air purifier, slight modifications. [Re: MAIA]
    #3130400 - 09/13/04 06:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks MAIA, I hope to not have to check in to this forum to often myself!

I guess my approach doesn't just apply to the HAP240, it makes me wonder what the efficiency of other units is too. Might be something people should look into if they're having problems. Of course, I don't really recommend people taking apart their purifiers either!!!

One more thing I noticed when I took mine apart was that the little electrodes that I suspect are the ionizer, were covered in huge gobs of dust. I'm guessing that this is from running just the ionizer and not the air filter. I would definitely suggest that anyone who has this type of combo ionizer/filter NOT run the ionizer alone as they collect crap and leave it all hanging right there in the path of the fresh air!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum