Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Lets talk germination
    #3128421 - 09/13/04 04:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'd like to see what you guys think of my practical observations regarding the great debate of clear vs dark. I have decided to take this to the advanced size of things because I don't know that anybody really wanted to discuss it in general. The following is an amalgamation of a couple of posts I made trying to explain my thoughts on this matter.

In science there is a concept called saturation. The point at which no further gain can be had with increasing the input. This concept is used heavily in electronics. It is reasonable to suggest that this will occur with germination. There is only so much substrate after all.

On dilution of dark syringes:

One thing that we can all testify to is that if you inject more solution (at a sufficient spore concentration) you definitely get a "gain" in performance. It makes more sense for you people to be using more solution that more concentrated solution as you are able to deliver your spores to a larger area of substrate to germinate on and thus avoid the redundancy of injecting too many spores onto an area of host.

If people didn't believe in this they wouldn't shake their jars to distribute the solution to a larger area as it is.

On freshness of spores:

Some people say that the freshness of the spores has to do with performance, I have also noticed that very fresh spores dissolve into water extremely well. No clumping, as soon as you squirt the water into the container they mix instantly. Not atall like older prints.

This can only help for distribution of the spores to a larger surface area in a more uniform concentration rather than clumping which would likely have patchy consistency in the water that is delivered to the substrate and thus may cause saturation at some parts, slowing down the effectivity of the innoculation.

Using a dark syringe would also guarantee that each unit of surface area of the substrate has a sufficient level of spore concentration to experience optimum germination.

What do you think, is this coming close to the practical definitive answer to this debate?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Lets talk germination [Re: utopianglory]
    #3133222 - 09/14/04 06:40 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes. :thumbup:

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology