Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedmb420

types of mycelium?
    #312518 - 05/08/01 05:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I've read a little about the two types of mycelium that I see.
One is larger and likes like fingers or roots and the other is very cotton like. Do these represent different stages of colonization? What are thier names? Any info at all. I just want to learn all I possibly can.

Peace.

He who stands on toilet gets high on pot.

--------------------
He who stands on toilet gets high on pot.
Support the FSR!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
Re: types of mycelium? [Re: dmb420]
    #312540 - 05/08/01 05:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Its all mycellium, but when people see the strands or threads they sometimes use the word rhizomorph instead, rhiza being greek for root.

----------------------------------------------------------
call management seek some reinbursement for the nerve endings that burnt from the first hits

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Offlinesylo
addict
Re: types of mycelium? [Re: dmb420]
    #312816 - 05/08/01 11:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The cottony mycelium is called tomentose and the finger or root like is called rhizomorphic. Most mycelium starts out as cottony and later becomes rhizomorphic. The differences can be age related but there are other important considerations. Mycelium that originates from the germination of a single spore is geneticly incomplete and can not form fruiting bodies. If compatible strands of mycelium from two or more spores grow in close proximity, the strands can join by means of clamp connections. Clamp connections look like rungs on a ladder and the nuclei from one mycelium can flow into the other mycelial tubes by flowing through the clamp connection. These connections bind the strands of mycelium together and it shifts from tometose to rhizomorphic so rhizomorphic strands indicate genetic diversity. It may take the exchanges of nuclei from several different mycelia before the mycelium has pooled enough genetic information to fruit.

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: types of mycelium? [Re: sylo]
    #312819 - 05/08/01 11:45 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

good god that was well written I have read it before but could have never gotten right to the point that quick

behind every great fortune there is an even greater crime

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: types of mycelium? [Re: sylo]
    #312830 - 05/09/01 12:02 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Every fruit I've ever cloned gives cottony mycelium. How does this fit into the scheme described?

based on:

"These connections bind the strands of mycelium together and it shifts from tometose to rhizomorphic so rhizomorphic strands indicate genetic diversity. It may take the exchanges of nuclei from several different mycelia before the mycelium has pooled enough genetic information to fruit. "

you'd think clones would be rhizomorphic, right? I don't know much about the science of this, but I know what I've seen with my own agar work.

The cover of TMC has a great looking rhizomorphic culture, but I wonder if it really makes a diff. My preference would be to go with a cottony clone from a nice fruit over an isolated rhizomorphic mycelium from a multispore inoculation.

If you use a good casing, things go rhizomorphic at that point anyway.

The above information is complete fiction.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds