Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not?
    #3126859 - 09/12/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm in college right now and I live in an appartment-style dorm. That is, I have my own room and I share a bathroom, kitchen, and some common space. In my dorm I have a desk that has all of my computer equipment on it, a dresser with a TV and clock on it, several storage bins, and a bed with storage below it. I plan to do my innoculation on top of the dresser (I'll be moving the TV and clock.) First I plan to dust down my entire room, desk, dresser, computer equipment, TV. I then plan to vaccuum the carpet, wash the sheets of my bed, change the garbage, and make sure all dirty clothes are in the hamper and out of sight. I also plan to spray Oust air sanitizer. In addition to dusting my innoculation workspace I will wipe it down with Lysol and rubbing alcohol. I will be wearing latex gloves and a breathing mask. All instruments to mix the substrate/verm will be thoroughly washed in hot water and all instruments including the syringe needle, etc. will be sterilized with a lighter. The fruiting bin will be wiped down with Lysol and H202 will be added to the perlite. The bin itself will be placed below my bed and will therefore look like the other storage bins in the same area.

As far as incubation is concerned, my room is usually between 70-80F, but I will store the innoculated jars inside of one of my slide-out storage bins, making sure to wipe the bin down with Lysol beforehand as well.

Is there anything crucial that I am missing. Does my sterilization plan seem sufficient? THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE!!

Edited by MoneyAddyct (09/12/04 07:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3126880 - 09/12/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

it looks like you will have everything pretty much sterilized, however if you are vaccuming your carpet i would reccomend doing it before you dust because it will just stir up dust all throughout the room... you should maybe use the oven tek when shooting up the jars...

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #3126897 - 09/12/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I thought about that but everyone uses the kitchen, there's dirty dishes everywhere and not a lot of space. It would be much harder to sterilize and secure. However, if you think it would work best, even with all the sterilization practices I plan on doing, then..hmm, maybe it's worth a shot. I have 10 jars so I could always do 50/50--dorm/oven.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #3126912 - 09/12/04 07:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I guess that should be good enough, I know I didn't do that much but was very careful in everything I did and had no problems.

Just an idea, but instead of the huge clean-up (though it may be good for your dorm room) build or buy a glovebox. I believe there are instructions somewhere around the site.

Make sure you know your teks, you will be less likely to make a stupid mistake and contam your grow. thats all I have to say

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126923 - 09/12/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously man, bad idea. I'm not even talking about your sterilization plan, but cultivating mushrooms on campus? Don't fuck with that...

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: Ayrios]
    #3126944 - 09/12/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I've already bought the necessary items and I plan on doing it. I can lock my door and no one will find out until I'm all done with everything and everything has been removed from my room accept the mushrooms themselves. Also, although I'm on campus, my residential area is at the furthest point of campus and fairly secluded--whether that makes a real difference, I don't know. But I think I'm safe.

Edited by MoneyAddyct (09/12/04 07:38 PM)

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
    #3126947 - 09/12/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ya, does sound like a bad idea, but if you must on campus i would say the oven tek works well because with a half your sterilization and the heat doing the other half to kill contams it does work well... just get the oven preheated around 150-180 and crank it off and set them up on the rack to shoot them up...

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126969 - 09/12/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Alright then. I hope you haven't offered your trust to many people - preferably no one :wink:

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3126982 - 09/12/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No, I haven't told anyone that I'll be growing them. And when I'm all done I won't even tell people that I did grow them--just that I have them. (And only those who might be interested in purchasing them for educational purposes :-)

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126988 - 09/12/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Watch out for raiding RCs :P

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3127237 - 09/12/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ayrios said:
Alright then. I hope you haven't offered your trust to many people - preferably no one :wink:

sadly, this is the best advice :crazy2: :thumbup: :gd_icon: :goodluck:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: george castanza]
    #3127269 - 09/12/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This is massive overkill for knocing up jars. I just do it on my desk and turn all fans off for an hour before leaving everything i need out. If your afraid of contams its much easier to make a glovebox.

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3127311 - 09/12/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm honestly not all that afraid of contams. I just didnt know the extent to which I needed to protect against them. Whether simple common sense and good clean, practices were enough or if I had to do much more.

OfflineLadyandtheTiger
Stranger
    #3129119 - 09/13/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Whatever you do DON'T use gloves! Give your hands a good wash, and dry them with a clean towel. Then sterilize your hands by pouring rubbing alchol over them and let them air dry for about 30 seconds. Do this when you start setting up, again when your inoculation area is ready, and keep re-sterilizing by re-wetting your hands with the alcohol everytime you touch something that is not 'clean'. Gloves just give a false sense of cleanliness.

Best way to provide a sterile field (medical term for clean working area) is to wash a sheet or table cloth with anti-fungal/anti bacterial laundry wash then dry in the clothes drier. Wash and sterilize your hands with rubbing alchol before removing it from the drier, fold it and put inside a new Large zip lock bag until your ready to use it. This gives you a pretty clean large area use it folded to the appropiate size, but remember if you leave enough overhang, you can fold this over your tools and workspace, if you need to pause in the process for some reason.

Then in the surgical care area of your local drugstore look for whats called a "Basic Dressing Kit" This contains (all guarenteed sterile)a couple of pairs of forceps, soft paper towel, a plastic tray, cotton bud, all wrapped in a plastic sheet (about 20 inches square), which you unwrap and use as sterile area to work on. The other bits are all useful in the process. Cost's about $1-3 per package.

Don't use a lighter, if you can't get a sprirt lamp (they only cost $5) use a candle.

I used this tek in a home living room to make spore syringes and innoculate jars with 0% containimation 1st attempt.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: LadyandtheTiger]
    #3129360 - 09/13/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Using a bunsen burner will help your contam rate greatly. Read up on sterile technique and you will see why they are the best solution if you don't want to use a glovebox of flow hood.

-FF

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3129403 - 09/13/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Please don't talk about selling mushrooms :smile:

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: utopianglory]
    #3129583 - 09/13/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. I'll definitely follow your suggestions. Do I need the sheet in addition to the plastic sheet in the dressing kit? The 20 inch plastic sheet should be large enough to work on. Should I still try to sterilize my dorm room itself, ie. dusting, vacuuming, etc etc. Thank you!

Also, just for my own edification, what's wrong with using a lighter/mini-torch lighter?

Edited by MoneyAddyct (09/13/04 01:20 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3129927 - 09/13/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>Should I still try to sterilize my dorm room itself, ie. dusting, vacuuming, etc.

The cleaner your room the better. Make sure to get rid of any sources of contam spores, like dirty plates, moldy food, mildew (often on window sills), etc. Never vacuum right before you work as it throws up a ton of dust and contam spores. Wait at least several hours after vacuuming and/or air out the room well. Make sure you have no drafts in the room and don't kick up dust by walking around too much or moving stuff around.

>Also, just for my own edification, what's wrong with using a lighter/mini-torch lighter?

You can use a lighter just fine. The advantage of a bunsen burner is that it creates a zone of sterile air around it forming a contam free area to work in.

-FF

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: My Sterilization Plan--Sufficient or Not? [Re: fastfred]
    #3130592 - 09/13/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking...my bathroom is set up such that there is a toilet and a shower with a curtain. This space is probably 6ft by 8ft and has a door to close it off from the rest of the appartment; the sinks are located elsewhere. Would this be a better place to innoculate my jars? The space is relatively small and I could disinfect, spray, etc. quite easily without having to dust or vacuum, etc.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3130639 - 09/13/04 05:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The bathroom is a great place to do sterile work, with enough Lysol. No drafts in there.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures