Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Sterilization Question
    #3126753 - 09/12/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you sterilize the jars in a PC after you add the substrate/verm how does that prevent against contams that might have gotten in there when mixing the substrate/verm, etc, since the water from the pressure cooker is only on the exterior of the jars? Wouldn't you want to sterilize empty jars? I'm not sure how PCs work, and maybe this was a stupid question, but it seemed more logical to me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Sterilization Question [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3126765 - 09/12/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The extreme heat is what does the sterilizing, not the water. Sterilize empty jars beforehand if they've been used before, but you absolutely want to sterilize the substrate in the jar as well with a good PCing.

Re: Sterilization Question [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3129186 - 09/13/04 01:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You can use polyproplene containers instead of jars. The small round plastic tubs that you get take-out food in, often you can get similar in the food storage/ plastic wrap aisle of the super market. You can tell it's polyprop and can be pressure cooked if it has a 5 inside a triangle of arrows printed on it somewhere usually the base of the container.
Check out mushmush.nl for a really easy tek with great pic's.

And as Ayrios said it's the heat (hot steam under pressure) with the pressure cooker. You will probably have to pc in batches, having a cardboard box lined with a towel (washed with anti-bacterial/antifungal laundry detergent. The drug store should have it.)To transfer the hot jars into so they can cool while the next batch cooks is a good way to keep things clean.

Patience is the key. It will be 4 days AFTER you get the conditions right (it took me a week to the temp right first time)before you see anything. It WILL take 3 full weeks for the cakes to colonise, and you MUST wait til you see pins forming before turning out the cakes. Hehe but then the pins double in size every 12 hours!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation