Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedoogyhowzer
Stranger
Whats goin ooooon?? part two
    #3126639 - 09/12/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, So I posted before about my PF tek cakes getting greyish stuff on them that might be cobweb but probably not and like rotting out. Most said I needed pictures so I've gotten some pictures and living condition data ready.. So the pics of the single cake are what it looks like before it spreads out so much, yeah in this photo it looks white but most of the time its an off greyish color and spreads and no pinheads form. Then they get mushy and kinda deteriorate. Then the big pic is of the Sterlite tupperwarish thing they're living in. The top seals on and i cut a hole in it and put some plastic over it so they get light whenever there is light in the room. They sit on wet (not sloppy wet) vermiculite in the bottom of the sterlite conatiner. The humidity is 85-90%, the temp is 73 which is 11ish degrees below innoculation temp. and only like one cake at a time seems to get sickly, in this case two are, one you can see is pseudo quarrantined and the other is hardly sick but i think it might be gettin worse, not sure what to do. If you have any ideas what this is or how to stop it or just promote it to fruiting health again let me know :P

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats goin ooooon?? part two [Re: doogyhowzer]
    #3126690 - 09/12/04 08:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have too say thats not a healthy looking fruiting chamber at all! It is setup for contams and failure :frown: I am sorry to say this :frown: BTW verm is not a good choice for humidity you should have stuck with perlite. Also keeping them cakes off your verm/perlite would help considerably against the spread of contams. Improvising on a first grow is not recommended IMHO. GL

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
    #3126714 - 09/12/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, what tek are you following that says to use verm in the bottom of your fruiting chamber? Like Hyphae said, you are set up for contams and a weak yeild.

If you are pretty new, you have to follow a specific tek exactly. I cannot emphasize this enough.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3126739 - 09/12/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

there appears to be cobweb, trich and overlay... most likely, the cobweb came in on the vermiculite...

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126754 - 09/12/04 08:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Man, that's nasty as hell and no doubt contaminated, but in some cake terrariums with too much moisture, you can get a cobweb-like effect on the cakes but it's not an actual contam (if you have that much moisture, kiss your yields goodbye anyway).

But it doesn't matter, it looks like you have both :smile: Sorry...

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #3126959 - 09/12/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

that does not look good at all. Even if it isn't a contam the fact the pins shrivle up and die is a sight that something is wrong.

Do not put the verm on the bottom of your tub, it does almost nothing and will only bring in contams because you probably did not sterilize it.

Get a new terrarium and put the cakes that still seem healthy in it. Make sure there are no contams in there before doing anything with the fruit from it.

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3126965 - 09/12/04 09:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

the organism just grew into the vermicuite. use perlite,and prop them up on cut in half pop cans or jar lids or sumthin

i recommend dunk and rolls

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinedoogyhowzer
Stranger
    #3127188 - 09/12/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So I have an ultrasonic humidifier in the mail.. If I were to dump the vermiculite and sterilize this thing.. Prop the cakes up somehow and use the humidifier to control humidity would it be an ideal fruiting chamber? What else is wrong with it?

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3127326 - 09/12/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Where can I find info on the "dunk and roll" technique?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3127373 - 09/12/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How often are you fanning them?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinedoogyhowzer
Stranger
Re: Whats goin ooooon?? part two [Re: Magash]
    #3127510 - 09/13/04 12:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

3-4 times a day

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3128120 - 09/13/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well once your cakes are that screwed you have to get rid of them, and since you didn't truly quarantine any (put in a separate container) they all are bad, there is no such thing as saving them from something that horrible. It seriously looks like Halloween in there. It sent shivers up my spine. You should bury all of them in a hole in the garden or something, maybe you'll get something then after while. But I probably still wouldn't use them for much but spore prints or something (not safe to do other 'experiments' with).

Go read through the PMP instructions and thoroughly compare steps as you read with whatever you did. Anywhere you did something different, well there is something wrong. Such as the previously mentioned substitution of verm for perlite, they are not the same at all. The only substitutes for perlite are hydroton/geolite or lava rocks, it has to be something more solid and non-absorbent (verm is very absorbent, on the other hand).

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
    #3128893 - 09/13/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

doogyhowzer said:
So I have an ultrasonic humidifier in the mail.. If I were to dump the vermiculite and sterilize this thing.. Prop the cakes up somehow and use the humidifier to control humidity would it be an ideal fruiting chamber? What else is wrong with it?

Could you please tell us what made you put verm in the bottom of your fruiting chamber. I am not harassing you, I would just like to know  :confused:because this is not the first time we've heard of someone doing this. Maybe there is a bad tek out there that need to be edited. What inspired you to use verm instead of perlite?

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Whats goin ooooon?? part two [Re: ricelicker]
    #3128988 - 09/13/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Throw those cakes in a oven bag and sterilize them, or just bag them up and throw them away. They are ruined.

I wouldn't even throw them outside, unless you want more of those contam spores around to waft back inside.

-FF

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation