Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear
    #3125644 - 09/12/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/nm/20040912/ts_nm/korea_north_dc

By Martin Nesirky and Vicki Allen

SEOUL, South Korea/Washington (Reuters) - A huge explosion rocked North Korea (news - web sites) last week but U.S. and South Korean officials said Sunday it was unlikely to have been a nuclear weapons test despite the appearance of a "peculiar cloud" over the area.

Photo
Reuters Photo

South Korea (news - web sites) first got indications of the blast from a satellite, but it was too early to say whether it was a bomb, a senior South Korean official told Reuters. It probably occurred between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

"The weather overall at the time was cloudy but there was a peculiar cloud, a cloud that was different from any other," said the official, who asked not to be identified. "We cannot confirm whether it had the characteristics of a mushroom cloud."

Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said there was "no indication that that was a nuclear event of any kind. Exactly what it was, we're not sure." Asked on ABC's "This Week" if North Korea has tested a nuclear device, Powell said, "No."

"We don't think, at this point, that it was a nuclear event. But we're looking at it and we'll get further analysis," national security adviser Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) said on CNN's "Late Edition.""

North Korea is believed to be developing nuclear weapons -- Washington has said it may have one or two or even more already. In October 2002, U.S. officials said North Korean officials admitted to a clandestine uranium enrichment program that could be used to develop nuclear weapons and that violated its international commitments.

U.S. MONITORING

Rice played down sightings of mushroom cloud. "There are all kinds of reports and there are all kinds of assessments that are going on. Maybe it was a fire, some kind of forest fire," she said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said a mushroom cloud up to 4 km (2.5 miles) in diameter was seen after the blast in an area near missile bases in Ryanggang province in the remote northeast near the border with China. Yonhap said it appeared much stronger than a train explosion that killed at least 170 people in April.

South Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper said the site was 10 km (6 miles) southwest of the Yongjori Missile Base at a point 30 km (18 miles) from the China frontier. The mountainous area is off-limits to outsiders, including aid workers.

The base has tunnels for storing, deploying and launching medium-range Rodong missiles, according to defector reports.

The North has said nothing yet about a blast but often notes events long after they happen -- and sometimes not at all.

The New York Times reported in its Sunday editions the Bush administration had received recent intelligence reports that some experts believed could indicate North Korea was preparing to conduct its first nuclear weapons test explosion.

Powell, who appeared on several morning news programs, said the United States was monitoring activity at potential nuclear sites.

"We have been watching it. We can't tell whether it's normal maintenance activity or something more. So it's inconclusive at this moment, but we continue to monitor these things very carefully," he said on the "Fox News Sunday" program.

The news broke as South Korea, Japan, China, Russia and the United States were trying to persuade North Korea to resume talks on its nuclear ambitions. The North, which threatened at earlier talks to test an atomic bomb, has said it doubts more negotiations will help.

"If North Korea makes these provocative statements and they take any provocative actions it's not going to be something that's just going to be of interest to the United States. It's going to be of interest to China, to Russia, to Japan," Powell said on ABC.

CHINESE VISIT

British Foreign Office Minister Bill Rammell, visiting North Korea, told BBC radio he had asked for an urgent explanation and would raise it in a meeting with the (Korean) foreign minister.

There was no immediate reaction from China, North Korea's big neighbor and main ally.

A senior Chinese Communist Party delegation met leader Kim Jong-il Sunday, the North's official KCNA news agency said. It said the Chinese handed Kim a letter from President Hu Jintao and promised aid for the impoverished country.

Asked whether the North might have conducted a test ahead of the Chinese visit, a South Korean government analyst said: "Absolutely not. And with such a test and the cloud and also the radioactive fallout, it would have been too obvious."

Thursday was the 56th anniversary of North Korea's founding. The reclusive communist state often stages extravaganzas and big events to mark important anniversaries.

Yonhap had conflicting reports about the cause, quoting one source as saying it could have been a forest fire; another that it might have been an arms depot or factory explosion.

Other possibilities include a failed missile engine test or a high-explosives test as a precursor to a nuclear blast, diplomats said.

"In the northern part of the country, there are a lot of weapons factories and underground missile bases. The rocket-fuel could have exploded in the underground base, or something," said Daniel Pinkston of the Center for Nonproliferation Studies in Monterey, California

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: gdman]
    #3125653 - 09/12/04 10:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

oh, ok, I get it. if that blast was in iraq (before we invaded) or some other middle eastern country. Bush would of had a field day, "nuclear testing" "weapons of mass destruction." but, since this in north korea, a country that is a REAL THREAT, the official explantion is: "oh, it's probably nothing... a forest fire."

GIVE ME A BREAK!

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3125691 - 09/12/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Two months before the US tested their first nuke at the Trinity site, they exploded 100 tons of TNT as a test shot to calibrate their instruments (which would be used to determine the power of the nuke in kT).

I wonder if N.Korea just did the same thing?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: trendal]
    #3125707 - 09/12/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah that's what I'm saying, even if that blast was not an actual nuke (which it could be) it is more than likely a high explosive test, which is needed to be done before the bomb is tested.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3125931 - 09/12/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wonder how the Chinese feel about this being close to their border. Oh wait, never mind, they want to use the "Korea bomb" to distract from their impending invasion of Taiwan.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3125953 - 09/12/04 12:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Im just hopeing we can blow eachother right the fuck up, so the earth can rid the disease called humans and regenerate itself to a proper balance.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: barfightlard]
    #3125989 - 09/12/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I generally say that the planet is infested with humans. However, I do not think that the earth has any intrinsic value that makes it worthwhile without my presence.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#3126259 - 09/12/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I always hear that N.Korea is the "real" threat. Why is N.Korea the "real" threat? How many planes have been hijacked by Koreans? How about homicidal bombings, or shooting kids in the back? The way i see it N.Korea is not "the" real threat, Jihad is.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: DieCommie]
    #3126265 - 09/12/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Coming soon to a theater near you.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#3126312 - 09/12/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All that shit that Jihad is doing might be bad, but in the long run it really isn't hurting us too much. North Korea, on the other hand, most definitly has WMD and the capability of using them, they have missiles that can hit the west coast (not to mention, they can wipe out our allie japan). They have a large and capable army that is very well organized and they really hate us (we are still offically at war with them). Now this, they have a very strong and well known interest to develope an atomic arsonal and they seem like they are pretty close to testing out abomb (if they have not already done so). When you take this all into consideration, you can see why I say they are the "real" threat. It's only a matter of time... and we do nothing about it.

--------------------

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3126350 - 09/12/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

gdman420 said:
All that shit that Jihad is doing might be bad, but in the long run it really isn't hurting us too much.

I'll assume from this starter that your post will be explaining why real actions against us by people who would kill themselves to see a few dead Americans/Jews is more of a tangible threat than a nation that barely can feed itself. Maybe you don't understand the difference between ideology that people are willing to murder/die for and a country that could attack. Let see...
Quote:

North Korea, on the other hand, most definitly has WMD and the capability of using them, they have missiles that can hit the west coast (not to mention, they can wipe out our allie japan). They have a large and capable army that is very well organized and they really hate us (we are still offically at war with them). Now this, they have a very strong and well known interest to develope an atomic arsonal and they seem like they are pretty close to testing out abomb (if they have not already done so). When you take this all into consideration, you can see why I say they are the "real" threat. It's only a matter of time... and we do nothing about it.

What do you recommend that we do? Launch an invasion that would be unpopular with the lefties? Try to use diplomatic resources to get them to stop testing?
I can't believe I'm wasting my time with children, but heres why Jihadism is more of a threat than Kim Jong Il

1) With terrorism we are fighting an ideology. Muslims who don't live in Saudi Arabia or any of the other theocratic dictatorships can still pracise the religion that preaches the destruction of the USA. With N Korea, we would be fighting an organized army in a specific location. It's not likely that North Korean ex-pats in America would rise up to protect the country that they left.

2) Korea has nothing to gain from attacking us. If North Korea were to be able to launch a nuke at us, hell, lets even say TEN nukes, what would happen? It isn't as if these people are just praying for martyrdom as the jihadists are, and it's not like it would be some subversive element inside a nation that might not have sponsored the attack, we'd know who did it and we'd retaliate. US forces in S. Korea would be pulled back a safe distance and N. Korea would be turned into more of a pathetic wasteland than it is now. They'd definatly totally lose. Their goal isn't to spread their ideology, it's to keep their borders and get $.

Ugh, this is ridiculous. Trust me, you are wrong. jihidism=big thread NKorea= negligible threat

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: retread]
    #3126371 - 09/12/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

North Korea is willing to die in the process of killing us, if tyhey launched nukes, they know we'd strike back, but that doesn't take away the fact that we would be in serious troubble, it would be an ugly, ugly war that would drag countries such as china into the midist of it.

So what if they are muslims in the US? Not ALL muslims ar eterroist, that is a racist sterotype. Like the greedy jew, the lazy black person, the drunken irishman, the shifty asain, the muslim terrorist. You see? Sterotyping and racial profiling will neevr solve anything. Islam is a religon of peace, a few extreamist get all of the western media's attention, but that group is small.

--------------------

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3126392 - 09/12/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

gdman420 said:
North Korea is willing to die in the process of killing us,

Any evidence of this? Are you saying, let me get this straight, that KNOWING that they'd be destroyed entirely, they would destroy a few US cities? Thats idiotic. That isn't how they think, thats why they keep getting and asking for concessions. Any evidence of N Korea's desire to commit suicide? If they want to do that so badly, why don't they shell Seoul S Korea?
Quote:

if tyhey launched nukes, they know we'd strike back, but that doesn't take away the fact that we would be in serious troubble, it would be an ugly, ugly war that would drag countries such as china into the midist of it.

And the benefit for N. Korea would be? Total annhilation? I don't get it.
Quote:

So what if they are muslims in the US? Not ALL muslims ar eterroist, that is a racist sterotype. Like the greedy jew, the lazy black person, the drunken irishman, the shifty asain, the muslim terrorist. You see? Sterotyping and racial profiling will neevr solve anything. Islam is a religon of peace, a few extreamist get all of the western media's attention, but that group is small.

I'd tell you what a complete idiot you are if I wasn't just banned for that, see how well I learn my lessons? My point wasn't that all Muslims are terrorists (you'll see that I never said that at all), it was that the Muslim IDEOLOGY is why they are so apt to attack and engage in suicide attacks. If a nation, say oh gee, Afghanistan, were to be sponsoring terrorism, we'd remove the leaders, BUT THE IDEOLOGY WOULD CONTINUE. Zahid could be turned into a Muslim terrorist by all the idiots on this board for all we know. Their isn't an ideology behind North Korea that is spreading through the world, it's a nation.

Geez dude, please, finish some high school and read a book before you come back here.

InvisibleDieCommie

#3126476 - 09/12/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"North Korea is willing to die in the process of killing us"

Thats not true at all. We survived a nuclear stalemate with Communist powers for half a century now. Thats the difference between Communists and Muslims.

Islam is not a religion of peace. A religion is defined by the actions of its practitioners not the words of its holy book. No religion is inherently peaceful.

The majority of Muslims dont commit atrocities - this is true. But the majority of Muslims condone, support and defend these actions. Even supposed "moderate" Muslims like the one on this board respond to any atrocity committed by Muslims with condemnations for the victim. This is what makes Islam the greatest threat to the world right now. You can call me "racist" all you want but that is simply not true. I am however "religionist" (if there is such a word), not until moderate Muslims stop making excuses for murderers and stop qualifying there condemnations ("sure raping and killing kids is bad, but its Russia fault they did it) then i may believe that modern Islam can be a religion of peace.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3126989 - 09/12/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All Muslims support the ones doing the terrorism even though not all of them do it.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3126997 - 09/12/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
All Muslims support the ones doing the terrorism even though not all of them do it.

That's awesome you know every single muslim's position on these matters, you must be satan, and you are obviously great

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3127004 - 09/12/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

North Korea-Iran missile link feared
Tokyo
July 25, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Iran and North Korea could be co-operating on missile development, it emerged yesterday.

Quoting a senior US official, Japan's Asahi Shimbun daily said it had learnt that Iran had given data on launch tests to North Korea.

"There is very strong evidence indicating that Iran and North Korea are co-operating on ballistic missile development," Asahi quoted the US official as saying.

The comments coincided with a visit to Japan by US Under-secretary of State John Bolton, part of a drive by Washington to breathe life into six-party talks aimed at ending a 20-month-old stand-off over North Korea's nuclear ambitions.

Mr Bolton was scheduled to leave on Saturday after talks with Japanese officials.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/24/1090464909636.html?oneclick=true

Edited by Great_Satan (09/12/04 07:56 PM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: U.S. Says N.Korea Blast Probably Not Nuclear [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3127015 - 09/12/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Its really cool when you post things in multiple threads.

Repeating something doesn't make it any more valid.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
North Korea May Test Nukes, U.S. Warned [Re: gdman]
    #3128954 - 09/13/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

WASHINGTON - The United States has received indications North Korea (news - web sites) might be trying to test a nuclear weapon, a senior Bush administration official said Sunday.

The official said there is no evidence that a large mushroom cloud that reportedly billowed up from North Korea was linked to the communist nation's suspected nuclear weapons program.

"We're watching the indicators to see whether this is normal activity or whether something else is under way," the official said on condition of anonymity.

The White House periodically receives reports that North Korea is seeking to test a nuclear weapon, the official said.

Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) said that just the idea that the United States was thinking North Korea might test a nuclear weapon highlights a national security failure by Bush. Under Bush's watch, North Korea has advanced its nuclear program, he said.

"North Korea's nuclear program is well ahead of what Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) was even suspected of doing ? yet the president took his eye off the ball, wrongly ignoring this growing danger," Kerry said in a statement. "What is unfolding in North Korea is exactly the kind of disaster that it is an American president's solemn duty to prevent."

In a telephone call Sunday evening to The New York Times, Kerry accused the administration of letting "a nuclear nightmare" develop by refusing to deal with North Korea when it first came to office, the paper reported on its Internet site.

President Bush (news - web sites)'s senior foreign policy advisers said publicly Sunday that they did not think the reported explosion Thursday near North Korea's border with China was related to North Korea's nuclear aspirations.

"We have no indication that it was a nuclear event of any kind," Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) told ABC's "This Week." "Exactly what it was, we're not sure."

He said the administration was closely watching activities taking place at some sites in North Korea, but that "it is not conclusive that they are moving toward a test."

National security adviser Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) said on CNN's "Late Edition" that it would not be "smart" for the North Koreans to test because it would further isolate them.

Rice also said the explosion was not likely a test. "We don't think, at this point, it was a nuclear event, but we're looking at it and will get further analysis," she said. "There are all kinds of reports and all kinds of assessments that are going on. Maybe it was a fire ? some kind of forest fire."

Asked whether a U.S. military option is on the table concerning North Korea, Rice said, "The president never takes any option off the table, but we believe the way to resolve this is diplomatically."

The United States, Russia, Japan, China and the two Koreas have held talks on North Korea's suspected nuclear weapons development, and they agreed to hold another round of negotiations in Beijing this month. No date has been set.

The United States has pushed for North Korea to fully disclose all of its nuclear activities and allow outside monitoring before it receives any assistance. North Korea wants energy aid, lifting of economic sanctions and removal from its inclusion on Washington's list of state sponsors of terrorism.

"North Korea is looking for assurances that we're not going to invade it, we have no hostile intent; they're looking for benefits for giving up their nuclear capability and their nuclear infrastructure. And what we're debating is what will it take to give them the assurances they need and what benefits would they expect over the long haul," Powell said.

But, he said, the United States will not "reward them for doing something they should've have been doing in the first place. So we're into a very intense period of negotiations."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st..._pe/us_nkorea_9

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract