Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebaby

will this work
    #3122835 - 09/11/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

since i have no pc do u all think a crockpot will work 2 sterlize the jars

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: will this work [Re: baby]
    #3122843 - 09/11/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Crockpots don't steam well.  Instead, use a big pot with a folded towel in the bottom to keep the jars from coming in direct contact with the metal.  Add enough water to come up about two centimeters (half an inch) from the bottom of the jars, and simmer for an hour.

Good luck!

-Diploid :mushroom2:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinebaby

Re: will this work [Re: Diploid]
    #3122851 - 09/11/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks man just looking 4 different ways

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #3122861 - 09/11/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I realize what its like not to have a pressure cooker, I've gone through that. However, I think you should try to save up and get a cheapy at the dollar store or walmart. You can get one for under $20 and it will make things much much easier in the long run. I've never had luck steaming.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: will this work [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3123093 - 09/11/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Also thrift/resale shops usually are worth checking before you buy one new. They will usually haggle too if you want to get a dirt cheap price (for instance "hey how do I know this still works/doesn't leak/seals are good?" and if they don't know they probably will knock some off the price). Though most decent shops would give you store credit to exchange one that didn't work right, some won't just based on their returns policy.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: will this work [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3125201 - 09/12/04 05:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HerbanShaman said:
I realize what its like not to have a pressure cooker, I've gone through that. However, I think you should try to save up and get a cheapy at the dollar store or walmart. You can get one for under $20 and it will make things much much easier in the long run. I've never had luck steaming.

I agree! You can't even buy a decent stainless steel pot of good size for the price of a cheap PC. I'm still amazed how many people try to take shortcuts that are going to cost them more in the long run. It's not like $20 is a lot of money, and someone even said they got one for around $15 at walmart. You could even use it and then take it back if that $20 is really going to break you.

-FF

Offlinemudvayne

#3125539 - 09/12/04 09:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I got a 6 qt. at walmart for $25. You can find even bigger ones on ebay for cheaper than that. And trust me it is worth it, using the boiling method I did 10 jars and lost 8 to contams. and then I said fuck it and spent the money on a pc. No contams yet with the pc.

Invisiblefearfect
Loc: Flag
Re: will this work [Re: mudvayne]
    #3125772 - 09/12/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i got the 30$ 8 quart from walmart.  fits 4 quart jars in it :smile:

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3125874 - 09/12/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i did the boilin g method for PFs, and didnt get one contam problem

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: will this work [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3125890 - 09/12/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

But a crock pot doesn't do much above a high simmer, thus is only good for stews and such.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: will this work [Re: fastfred]
    #3126067 - 09/12/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You can't even buy a decent stainless steel pot of good size for the price of a cheap PC.

You guys are so pessimistic.  Although a PC is the way to go in the long run, I used this big $10 lobster steamer from WalMart very successfully when I was first learning the art and science of mushroom cultivation.  Just put a folded towel on the bottom to keep the direct heat away from the jars, add an inch of water, and simmer for an hour.  About 20 half-pints fit easily inside.

Here are some pics with a 921 next to it for scale:  :goodluck:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates