Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Who am I?
    #3125431 - 09/12/04 10:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

just wondering. is who I am, the same as who you see?
my vocalcord, my eys, my brain. where am "I"? am I my senses? am I focus? energi? a soul? hehe  :confused:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: Who am I? [Re: Gomp]
    #3125455 - 09/12/04 10:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you are the all singing all dancing crap of the world  :yesnod:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Who am I? [Re: Muppet]
    #3125468 - 09/12/04 11:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

dude! :P i dont sing nor do i dance, hehe
of the world i might be, but how would i know?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #3125477 - 09/12/04 11:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I dunno...that part wasn't in the movie  :tongue:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3125517 - 09/12/04 11:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are the watcher of the thinker.

You might believe you are the thinker, but you are really the observer of the thinker.

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3125586 - 09/12/04 12:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are it, your all there is,
If you want to know whats your point, you are the point.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3125597 - 09/12/04 12:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are the void. You are nothing, as is the universe around you. This is why we are all the same :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3125865 - 09/12/04 02:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Your question "Who am I?" is called 'Vichara Atma.' by the revered Jnana Yogi Sri Ramana Maharishi, who died in 1950. His writings will more than satisfy the most demanding intellectual interest, and also satisfy the cravings of one's Heart. In fact, the Spiritual Heart or Heart Cave [Hridayam] is the focal point by which 'Self-Inquiry' begins.

Jnana Yoga [or Gyan Yoga] is the Yoga of Knowledge. Sri Ramana Maharishi wrote brilliantly, and I Highly recommend his teaching to you. Although an Advaitist [Non-Dualist] and a Monist (as opposed to a Monotheist), the insights his teachings provide can help anyone to answer your question for themselves.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3125892 - 09/12/04 02:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are you. You are whatever it is that makes nobody else you.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Who am I? [Re: Strumpling]
    #3125923 - 09/12/04 02:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are whatever it is that makes nobody else you.

hehe, interesting way too look at it, but i alsow got some feeling im newer alone, as if i was the sum of somthing, like f.eks i am you and you are me, but i feel im me, and have a subconsiuss "you" :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #3126101 - 09/12/04 04:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you're not alone - there are zillions of particles working to hold this all together for a seemingly "single" YOU.

You do have a subconscious me, but its made by you.

Your interpretation of me is created by you. My interpretation of you is made by me. We were not made by eachother though; just our perceptions of eachother.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3126104 - 09/12/04 04:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

As crazy as that sounded, it's true!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #3126161 - 09/12/04 04:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

And to take it further..... we are also particles working to hold Earth's life-force together, in a sense.

Your kidney, for instance, has no idea that it is a kidney or what it is doing for you; it IS a kidney, and it just DOES what it does.

I have no idea what I am :wink: or what I am doing :wink: but that doesn't matter man I don't have to - I just have to be me and do my thing and I will be contributing to the collective's "way."

My question is, is the currently-evolved collective "way" unhealthy for the planet?

If we're all part of the same organism, have we distracted ourselves from our jobs and in doing so started effecting the planet's health?

If my kidneys stopped doing their jobs, I'd have issues. We are planetary kidneys and lungs and neurons and whatevers - all working to keep this giant Earth organism alive. Lets not fuck this up by spending too much time making money or typing away on our computers or taking bong-hits all day every day

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (09/12/04 04:27 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3126217 - 09/12/04 04:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

unhealthy for the planet?
well.. why would anything be harmfull, its natural right? hehe

If we're all part of the same organism, have we distracted ourselves from our jobs? what would ouer jobs be? to be? we al are, so no? hehe
and yes, your interpretation of me is created by you. My interpretation of you is made by me. but is there not more to it tthan that. i mean think telephaty. if that "subconsiuos voice" who says, a hec with it, "im doing it". was somone thinking, o damn i wish he could just "do it"!. so that's "somones" thought, was the thought you were thinking you was thinking and hence desided to "do it" but in reality it was the part of you that is that "somone" who "made" you "do it". we live as a singel persone. but in reality we are alle interlinked like a singel beeing only one is in charge.
i say like imagien it was only 5 humans in the entier void(univers).
a b c d and f

a would be thinking he was a, but was also b c d and f
b would be thinking he was b, but was also a c d and f
c would be thinking he was c, but was also a b d and f
d would be thinking he was d, but was also a b c and f
f would be thinking he was f, but was also a b c and d

hehe so if f.eks a talked to b. the two would talk conscious. but alsow exchange thoughts through the subconscious.
its hard to wxplain as i think it, but what im getting at is telepathy could be a subconscious party of living. and "I" may not be "me" but a collective councious "I" think "I" am. and the only seperating me from you, is becuse i, and you think so?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineyewhew
Dead in Eternity

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3126633 - 09/12/04 07:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you are at least a node of experience.
you may or may not be free to choose.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Who am I? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3128644 - 09/13/04 08:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

if i am the watcher of the thinker, than who is the thinker? is he someone else?

is he an illusion i create for myself (God)?

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Who am I? [Re: Todcasil]
    #3128657 - 09/13/04 08:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The thinker is indeed an illusion you created for yourself, but that illusion is not god. You got that a little backwards... on the contrary, the true YOU, the perception and observer behind the thinker, THAT is the "you" that is god.

The illusion you created for yourself is your ego. It's a false front created to protect you from the hardships of life. However, if you fail to identify the seperation between your true self and your ego, you will identify your ego as "I". That's bad.

Think of the ego as a software program that you run on your computer. The hardware is your physical brain. You are not the computer.. and you're not the software you run on the computer, either. You are the operator behind the screen, who interacts with the hardware and software via some sort of interface.

Now, because the ego operates like a program, running in a little automation loop while you aren't paying attention and taking care of things, if one fails to identify the seperation between the self and the ego, the result is kind of like turning into a robot without ever knowing it...

which is precisely what makes it so hard to break out of the ego's control. As long as you're under the impression that the ego is the only part of you that exists mentally, "turning off" the ego is about as impossible as turning off a light switch that you never knew existed.

If you haven't read much about the ego, I strongly urge you to do a search for some threads relating to it that have popped up lately. Infact, I'll even find 'em for ya if you want. :smile:

Teehee.. I got off on a little rant there. But yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.

It's all about learning how to control your own brain. A LOT of people don't have control of their own brain... but they don't know it, because they identify the false controller (ego) as themselves.

How can you stop something if you think it IS you?  :shocked:

Edited by JacquesCousteau (09/13/04 10:39 AM)

Offlineillusions
peace not greed
    #3131071 - 09/13/04 08:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

there is no "I"....by asking yourself this question you are considering yourself an individual human being, but in truth all there is is being which is what inhabits every human body. you can call it whatever you wish....but no word is necessary and no word can describe what "you" are...

--------------------
we were born into the world of nature.
when we die, we are born into the world of spirit.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3131241 - 09/13/04 09:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

this is one of my favorite subjects :grin: it's awesome to get down to the heart of things, and knowing who, or what you are are is key to do jsut that!

what are we truley?  what is our essence? 

our essence is that part of us that doesn't change.  so now we can look at a couple of things here

what about your personality?  that which involves your ego, your version of right and wrong, and your unique perspective on reality, this is not you, your essence.  you prove this by one simple experiment. Ask yourself "Am I the same person that I was 5 years ago?"  you know the answer to this is no, because our personalities are constantly changing as "we" experience more and more. 

so what about our ego?  is that what "we" are?  does the ego ever change?  and of course, it does.  we wouldn't have ego shattering experiences.  our versions of right and wrong wouldn't change as we would get older.  since the ego changes as well, it is not our essence.

are we our senses, I say no cause those can be changed too, either whilst on drugs, or an accident (where you lost your hearing for instance) happens, but you still remain when your hearing is gone.

so what is the one thing that doesn't change?

conscious awareness doesn't change.  what do I mean by this?  try this little experiemnt out

close your eyes for a couple of min, and notice what "you" pick up.

ready....go!!!!

no cheating!!!

ok so what did "you" notice? normally you will pick up more on sound.  that's right, without sight overloading your consciousness, you awareness "picks up" more on your surroundings.  now imagine if you are in a place devoid of light and sound.  what do you think would happen?  one of the things that might happen is that "you" will pick up more on bodily sensations that were normally overrided by sight and sound. 

it is this you that uses your senses to experience.  it is you that has a rational mind, and an ego, to give you some definition of reality, when reality doesn't have a definition.  ever experience ego loss on shrooms?  you dont "know" who or what or wher you are, but "you" are still here experiencing and using the senses. 

it is awareness, and you are conscious of it!  realize how special this really is, and the awe of life will never leave.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
Re: Who am I? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3131515 - 09/13/04 10:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

have you been reading John C. Lilly lately?  :wink: :wink:

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology