Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Arg - I've re-pressure cooked 3 times today
    #3124352 - 09/11/04 11:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

And my popcorn floods every time! I had polyfill blocking a small hole in the lid, thick terry cloth under the solid lid that (my Tyvek hasn't arrived yet) and everything tightened by the ring with 2 layers of foil over the whole jar. Flooded. Then I dried the popcorn, set up a new jar with the same setup minus terry cloth plus duct tape fastening the foil to the jar sides very securely. Flooded. I'm going to try again tomorrow with the polyfill sealed. The thing is, the polyfill and top of cap is never wet at all but the inside just drowns... Is it really the polyfill letting everything in? I've seen teks with polyfill covered by only foil and then PC'd. I've cooked up several dozen jars before (with taped lid hole) with no moisture penetration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Arg - I've re-pressure cooked 3 times today [Re: Ayrios]
    #3124360 - 09/11/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

are you precooking or mixing and PCing? Mabey your ratios are off.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Arg - I've re-pressure cooked 3 times today [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3124369 - 09/11/04 11:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I simmered the popcorn for an hour, strained the hell out of it. It's just right :/ I go from no condensation before PC to total flood after. The lower jars tend to flood moreso than the ones stacked above. Water level of 2cm. Same PC I've always used :/

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3124454 - 09/11/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Being it did it even when you sealed the lid well with foil and duct tape, I'd say it must be coming from the corn. Strain longer or simmer shorter or something.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Arg - I've re-pressure cooked 3 times today [Re: Spudz76]
    #3124459 - 09/11/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I promise it isn't. I strained for an hour. The jars on the bottom rack after my first PC were actually filled to the top with water. The top had gained enough water to invite contams but not nearly as much.

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3124496 - 09/12/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How could there be that much water in there if you only have 2cm of water in the PC? What size jars? It sounds like the quantity of water you describe would be impossible.

You could try more slowly heating the PC, maybe it's boiling too vigorously at the beginning. If it's more of a light boil like just above a simmer (and just enough of a boil to get the pressure up) then it won't splash around in there at all.

And of course you aren't venting the pressure, right? You're waiting for it to cool before opening, right? I hope so.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3124522 - 09/12/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, you're very accusative. I have a small 6qt PC and I just use half-pints. I turn the burner on 4 and then, after some initial steam, down to 1.2. Yes, I let it cool itself over the course of 3 or 4 hours. No venting. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow (an empty jar sealed with tape and foil (no polyfill) to rule out some divine (demonic?) intervention) and really get to the bottom of it.

Like I said, same stuff I've always done minus the polyfill. Perhaps it's my cheapass PC. Maybe it isn't building pressure and is just steaming? Then again, before I had a pressure cooker a few years back, I steamed PF jars with little to no moisture content addition.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3124900 - 09/12/04 01:42 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If the polyfill is not wet, I don't think water has got in.

If you only have 2cms of water in and foil protecting the top, I don't think water has got in.

Next time you do it, just vent the stream straight away and check the polyfill (ie, don't give it a chance to dry). I vent the steam sometimes when I am in a rush.

I must admit, its a curious problem. If you can post a picture of the flooded jars I would be interested to see.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Arg - I've re-pressure cooked 3 times today [Re: utopianglory]
    #3124906 - 09/12/04 01:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I washed them out - they're not flooded anymore. When you have a 2/3 full jar of well-strained popcorn and it fills to the very top, water's gotten in I think. I'll just update tomorrow with what I find.

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3125024 - 09/12/04 02:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry if you think I'm accusative, but there is obviously something we're missing, which was why I was beating you up a bit for more info.

Still seems like water is magically getting in to the jars, if it completely fills say three half-pint-but-two-thirds-full jars - so, three thirds or a full half pint of water comes from somewhere - and probably more since there's air volume in there too between kernels.

And then lets say your PC is about 25cm inside diameter (like the Mirro 6qt is 24.765cm) and you have 2cm of water (measured from the inside bottom of course, not the rack). This calcs out (pi times radius squared, times height) to 981.75cc's. One cc of water equals one ml, so this is 981.75ml which is 2.08 pints of water. So like more than a quarter of your water is transporting itself into the jars somehow.

What I have done before is make a foil 'tent' that goes loose over the entire stack of jars, to rule out condensation from the lid dripping down on them - but that still should fill the tops and not the bottoms. Maybe with your particular PC you should use taller jars to eliminate the problem. I use jelly half-pints rather than wide shorties even for cakes, which are slightly shorter than a regular beer can but otherwise about the same size. Then you run a single layer of jars with the loose tent over them (the tent should be shaped smoothed on top like a dome, so any water condensing on the inside or otherwise coming up the sides tends to run back down along the inside of the foil tent and to the bottom of the PC instead of raining on your jars from spots it can collect and drip).

When I did some ziplocks of corn, I didn't even use the PC. After simmering, then soaking for 24hrs, then simmering again I just rinsed it with a peroxide solution and loaded it into gallon size bags and inoculated with a few chunks of mycelium from some cakes I was mashing to make a tray casing. I got fuzzy growth as prescribed and no contams, but I also had too much water and no filter patch for air and thus it stalled pretty quick. The bags have been 'dead' in my incubator for a while (a month maybe? I been too busy to fix them and add patches) and they don't smell like anything but corn when I opened one the other day (so no anerobic bacteria either even though they are sopping wet). So maybe try using just an H2O2 bath and a bit of dry verm in the bottom of the jars to sop up any of the water that drops off the surface, and inoculate with mycelium rather than spores (not sure how you were planning to inoculate). If you can get the PCing to work right then that's probably better though. Just you might not need to if you like living dangerously like I do.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126040 - 09/12/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This makes no sense - One trial last night, I tried to tape over the polyfill with electrical tape (which holds up under extreme heat like no other) but apparently the tape allowed for steam to come in through the polyfill. I don't really know, but I just tried a jar without polyfill and the hole taped and no moisture came in. This is so weird because I hear of successful PC'ing with polyfill all the time. :/ Anyway, problem solved. I'll have to think up an alternative to air exchange. I'll put some sort of filter over the hole after inoculation.

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3126211 - 09/12/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes when your Tyvek shows up, you should be all set (tyvek under the lid, hole in lid taped completely, PC, cool, remove tape).  Even if there's suction at removal of the tape the Tyvek layer should be enough to keep out contams.  Should work great then.

So, I hope your Tyvek appears shortly. :smile:

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126238 - 09/12/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Can't complain about the slow shipping of the Tyvek when it's free :wink: Thanks.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3126735 - 09/12/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, I'm still getting enough condensation inside to make me wary.

Last ditch effort: a small layer of dry vermiculite at the bottom of each jar. I know for a fact this will work, I just wish I could have gone without it :/ Oh well.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract