Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshadow69playa
$h?0om3?y C?34t0?

first timer here...
    #3124576 - 09/12/04 12:24 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok im a first time grower of shrooms and before i start i had a few questions.

1.where are the best places to get jars that are needed? the 1/2 pint kind?

2.i do not have access to a pressure cooker, i was planning on using a big pot with a lid. how long should i keep the cakes in there, and should it be vented? and how much water should i keep in there? also heat / high, low?

3.when the cakes are in the pressure cooker do the lids need to be on the jars already? or just aluminum foil. and with the aluminum is it supposed to be airtight around the top or lossely on there?

4.during the whole process is light a problem? should it stay in a dark place during the jar/cake period? and what about the fruiting should that be in light or dark. and does it matter?

thanx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: first timer here... [Re: shadow69playa]
    #3124602 - 09/12/04 12:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

1. Some grocery stores, Walmart, mycosupply.com.

2. Keep pot lid on most of the way with a little bit open to vent. Enough heat to get it steaming. About 1.5in of water.

3. Keep the lids on tight with foil tight over them.

4. For incubation you want it dark (when cakes are in the jars). After fruiting you want some light to trigger pinnings and to guide the growth upwards towards the light. You can find some more info by looking for methods of inducing pinning.

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3124605 - 09/12/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

1. garden centers, or www.mycosupply.com the shroomery sponser, i got sum pitns from them

2. use a normal pot
high heat 2 inches of water rag on the bottom leave the top on, but witha lil amount of room to let steam out

3. the jar lids are on under the foil, the foil just stops water from getting in the holes. get tyvek

4. it dosnt really matter with the cake from my expierience, but try not to check on it tooo much, cuz that can make pins tjhat will rot and infect ur cake.

do a casing though

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlineshadow69playa
$h?0om3?y C?34t0?

Re: first timer here... [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3124633 - 09/12/04 12:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanx for the quick reply,

how do i know when the cake is done cooking?
is there a time period to wait?
or should it look different?

also should anything be between the lid of the jar and the jar itself?
(i ask this because ive seen with what looks like paper towel coming out of the sides of some of the jars on this forum)

Edited by shadow69playa (09/12/04 12:42 AM)

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3124638 - 09/12/04 12:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

For steaming you should do it 60 minutes minimum, 90 to be safe. Just make sure you don't run out of water.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: first timer here... [Re: Ayrios]
    #3124667 - 09/12/04 12:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It's your first time, don't bother with the filter layer... PF jars will be fine without.

Offlineshadow69playa
$h?0om3?y C?34t0?

#3124691 - 09/12/04 12:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok jus a few mroe questions

i was planning on going the B+ route when i do my 1st grow.

i was looking it up and it says this

Habitat: Bovine, Equine Dung and Enriched Soils
Climate: Subtropical

now if i use BRF(brown rice flour) and vermiculite. will that be able to grow the B+ strain? even though it says habitat bovine, etc. etc.?

and does the BRF and vermiculite method sustain growth for ANY type of shroom, no matter the original habitat?

also... do i let the BRF mix dry before i cook it? or can i still cook it when its wet?

also if i steamed it wouldnt water build up on the inside? because its already in there from the mix?
i apoligige if its hard to understand my question.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3124752 - 09/12/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That's natural habitat. You can grow any type of Psilocybe cubensis.

You want a moist mix of verm and BRF. Not too wet but definitely not dry.

You'll gain a little water from steaming but really the foil should keep most of it out.

Offlineshadow69playa
$h?0om3?y C?34t0?

#3124771 - 09/12/04 01:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

by
You want a moist mix of verm and BRF. Not too wet but definitely not dry.

when is that.. like i know u need to mix the water in with the brf and vermiculite but after that.

your saying after i mix it jus wait like 20 min then start the cookin?

or should i wait longer?

im sory if i ask so many questions, i just want to be sure im doing everything 100% correctly.

also.. how should the jars be cleaned be 4 use.. jus warm water ? or does it matter?

Edited by shadow69playa (09/12/04 01:22 AM)

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3124799 - 09/12/04 01:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You don't really need to wait when you're working with BRF and vermiculite. You just want the right amount of moisture in there before you start PCing. Try to get it wet enough so you can almost see water at the bottom after sloshing the mix around but not quite. Some recommend more water but I say just when you reach saturation.

Seriously though, it sounds like you've read a rather incomplete tek on PF cakes. You may want to check out some of the 5-star pictorial versions of it. Read a couple, assimilate them and make a combination of them all your own.

Bleach them with a weak solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach or so) if they've been used for other stuff. Just wipe them down really good with the solution and wash it out til you can't smell the bleach at all.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3124882 - 09/12/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

READ. Go to the FAQ and read almost everything in there. There are also alot of teks in the shroomery that you should read.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies