Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMXNR
Did the Mushroom choose you?
Male

Loc: MARS
Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy?
    #3124139 - 09/12/04 12:47 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What do you guys think? Are cops "bad guys"?

Personally, I have no respect for men who follow orders they don't thoughtfully agree with themselves. The job of a police officer is to do just that. They have no influence over the passage of legislation. Whatever the law is, they will enforce it; shoot citizens dead if they "have to." They are basically domestic soldiers, and I always loved this quote from Einstein about that:

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

I see police officers not as men, who live their lives according to their own convictions and desires, but as simple obstacles to be avoided by a shroomer such as myself. Like a tree falling in my direction, I don't get out of the way of the tree because I respect its authority. I move because there is a threat of physical harm. In kind, I have to obey these men with guns.

Does anyone agree with me? Am I an insensitive prick? And I wonder who will be the first to respond with the, "they're just doing their job," post.

Thanks for fielding this.

--------------------
Master: Everyday change your clothes and eat your food and you will become enlightened.

Pupil: Master, I do not understand...

Master: If you don't understand, eat your food and change your clothes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: MXNR]
    #3124155 - 09/12/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:crazy2: :crazy2:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3124166 - 09/12/04 12:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i dont think cops are bad people, well, not all of them. there are the few that ruin the reputation for the rest, but they are people just like you and me. they are just doing their job. i see the people who make the laws these people are to enforce as the enemy...if the laws were different, so would our law enforcement...the trick is to not give them any reason to fuck with you, and know your rights for when they do...

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3124179 - 09/12/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

not all cops are bad guys... maybe 75%... but 99.9% are assholes.

there is always that cool cop that'll let you go on your way with a joint. but so far, theyre just a myth to me.

i fucking hate cops. but thats just because of my experiences with them.

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

Offlineplexus

Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3124205 - 09/12/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
i see the people who make the laws these people are to enforce as the enemy...

WORD!!!

but a lot of cops are still bad guys and assholes

i remember going to a tool show, waiting outside the venue for the doors to open, and seeing thes cops tugging at their big belts... looking so fucking smug, looking for "punk kids" smoking cigarettes and shit. i hate those cops... theyre just power hungry... and when given power, they love to use it. they love to see people squirm.

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy

Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: plexus]
    #3124271 - 09/12/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

plexus said:
theyre just power hungry... and when given power, they love to use it. they love to see people squirm.

yup...seems like this type of attitude just comes in the job description...most cops do seem to be assholes, but put yourself in their shoes for a bit. they got to deal with the "scum" of the earth every day. their whole job reflects around violence, murder, unlawfulness....everyday they got to realize, hey-theres people out there that want me dead. im sure with a job like that i would probably be an asshole too...it sux, but its the reality we live in

--------------------
how's your WOW?

OfflineMXNR
Did the Mushroom choose you?
Male

Loc: MARS
Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3124299 - 09/12/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
i dont think cops are bad people, well, not all of them. there are the few that ruin the reputation for the rest, but they are people just like you and me. they are just doing their job. i see the people who make the laws these people are to enforce as the enemy...if the laws were different, so would our law enforcement...the trick is to not give them any reason to fuck with you, and know your rights for when they do...

DING! DING! DING! wrestler_az has been the first to respond with the, "they're just doing their job," post.

But don't you have a basic philosophical problem with any man who would accept, as his profession, the role of doing whatever the legislators told him? I mean if kissing in public was suddenly outlawed, police officers would be out busting up smooching couples without giving it a second thought. They are immoral bags of muscle.

People seem to think that the enforcers of unjust laws/policies are exempt from blame for some reason. No, every man is responsible for every action he takes in his life. Unless you are claiming that these men are mental incompetents.

--------------------
Master: Everyday change your clothes and eat your food and you will become enlightened.

Pupil: Master, I do not understand...

Master: If you don't understand, eat your food and change your clothes.

Offlineplexus

#3124348 - 09/12/04 01:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

id say theyre more like immoral shafts of muscle.

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy

#3124362 - 09/12/04 01:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you do have a point....and no, i dont hold cops completly exempt from their asshole-ish behavior... maybe my opinion of cops is a little biased, as i know quite a few of them personally, outside of their badge and gun. ive partied with cops south of the border, ive smoked pot with cops...believe it or not, there actually are cops that dont hold true to the standard. not many, but they are there...

--------------------
how's your WOW?

OfflineChingChong
Non-OffensiveTalker

Loc: Where the buffalo roam
    #3124415 - 09/12/04 01:45 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

But in every other job you're are told to do things to, should we hate everybody else too. If you dont believe in those set of rules, don't be a cop.

--------------------
How can one murder enormously if one is microscopic.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Am I to think of Police Officers as the Enemy? [Re: ChingChong]
    #3125347 - 09/12/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChingChong said:
But in every other job you're are told to do things to, should we hate everybody else too. If you dont believe in those set of rules, don't be a cop.

A cop is different from other jobs. They enforce rules on the masses.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinexmercury
Stranger
    #3125368 - 09/12/04 10:10 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with a lot that is said, and I for one dont like cops mainly because I have had to deal with them and they won :P. On the other hand though there are cool cops. Like last night a cop gave us a case of beer @ my friends house. Have you ever heard of that happening before? That was some of the best tasting beer ever.

Also, look @ what they are having todo as someone else said earlier. There are people out there that would kill them. In that sense I would approach every situation as an asshole. You gotta try and intimidate.

--------------------
-merc

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3125476 - 09/12/04 11:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Cops deal with alot of bullshit... Alot of people spit on them, call them pigs, etc., but when it comes to the time that those exact people are in need of help.. who's often the first people they call? The police.
Ahh.. irony.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3125496 - 09/12/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen some real asshole cops in my life. But I've also been helped by the police before. A police officer gave me a ride home after I was jumped for my bike(they never recovered my bike, but oh well). The police arrested the people responsible for all those DDOS attacks on the Shroomery(or maybe it was the FBI who arrested them--I forget). I've smoked weed in front of a cop without getting in trouble(granted, he was off-duty, and was my friend's cousin). There are some cool cops out there who are just trying to make the streets safer.

Of course, you can't forget about the bad apples. At OCF(Oregon Country Fair), some police officer was arresting some hippy who had done nothing more than ask for directions. There are many cops out there on a power trip, and you definitely have to watch out for them.

Basically, don't think of the police as your friend or enemy. Treat them as something to be approached with caution. Don't do anything stupid when a cop is around, and you should be fine. If you do get pulled over, know your rights, and be sure to exercise them.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

Loc: va
    #3125592 - 09/12/04 12:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MXNR said:
What do you guys think? Are cops "bad guys"?

no.. saying they are all the "bad guys" is a generalization and i don think they are all out to harm us. cops do a lot of good things for people, they dont decide the legislation and thank god they dont. they just follow orders (or are suposed to) just like the army. i wouldnt blame the soldiers for theyre actions either because they dont create the policy.
of course some cops abuse their power, so does everybody in any position in authority. but in general no, cops arent all assholes. in my experiences i've come across some cool cops that could have really fucked me over but didnt. as long as you show them respect and dont say anything stupid you will have better chances with the cops if they do cross your path.

anyway dont hate on all po-po's, some really just want to help people and enforce law's. i thought about being a cop before but i could never bust somebody for drugs and i have a conscious. but i would love to help stop crimes like murder, theft, rape, abuse etc.

--------------------
http://www.infowars.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Community >> The Pub