Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Phred]
    #3140583 - 09/15/04 09:21 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Damn pink stop being a fucking dink. If someone asks for recommendations allow a correct response.

Your post of "Ask someone who enjoys Chomsky." reeks of derision.

You may not agree with his ideas and beliefs but you don't have to deride all his works.

I can understand not agreeing with an intelligent individual but to simply ignore his works is inexcusable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: newuser1492]
    #3140997 - 09/15/04 10:37 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

cb9fl writes:

Damn pink stop being a fucking dink. If someone asks for recommendations allow a correct response.

Your post of "Ask someone who enjoys Chomsky." reeks of derision.

What on earth are you upset about? It is quite obvious to anyone who reads my posts that I do not enjoy Chomsky. How could *I* possibly be expected to recommend something to "those who enjoy Chomsky"??? Does it not make perfect sense for me to suggest he ask someone who actually does enjoy Chomsky -- for example Alex123?

You may not agree with his ideas and beliefs but you don't have to deride all his works.

I don't deride his works on linguistics -- there are plenty of linguists out there who disagree with him and are not shy about challenging his theories. I don't know enough about linguistics to say who is right, Chomsky or his opponents in the field of linguistics.

But I do deride his works on politics and history, because they are demagogic pieces of intellectually dishonest crap written to bolster his own Anarcho-syndicalist leanings. At least, all of the works of his I have read are. I see no reason to believe that I by accident read only his agit-prop works and the ones I haven't read yet are completely different.

I can understand not agreeing with an intelligent individual but to simply ignore his works is inexcusable.

What part of "I have probably read more Chomsky than most who post here" are you having difficulty grasping? I didn't ignore his works at all -- I read more of them than any reasonable person should be expected to endure (and those are several days out of my life I'll never recover) and then made the considered decision it was pointless to read more. Years later, when I finally got my phone line and could connect to the Web and poke around a bit, I had my own assessment of the worth of his political writings verified by others who had read even more Chomsky than I had -- or at least had read different works of his than I had. Turns out I didn't just happen to read only his deceitful works -- they're all cut from the same cloth.

And I have said on several occasions and I'll repeat it here right now that everyone who posts here should read Chomsky -- and I do not say that facetiously at all, I'm dead serious. But I say that for entirely different reasons than the Chomskybots who make the same recommendation. How is that "ignoring" his works?

Chomsky is indeed one of the most important intellectuals of our time -- not for what he says but for the object lessons he provides in how to warp and twist reality. He is a consummate master of propaganda -- none better. He is to written propaganda what Leni Reifenstahl was to filmed propaganda. Michael Moore wishes every day of his life he had half the skill at deception that Chomsky exhibits without apparent strain. It's like Salieri's envy of Mozart.

Your assessment of Chomsky differs from mine. Big whoop. Your assessment of Ronald Reagan probably differs from mine as well. No harm, no foul. I understand a lot of people consider Michael Moore's films to be actual documentaries, too.

Out of curiosity, which works of Chomsky have you read? What was your favorite? Which ones would you recommend to someone "who enjoys Chomsky"?

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Phred]
    #3141898 - 09/16/04 02:11 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If I lived in a fairly large metropolitan area with a decent library containing most of Chomsky's most popular works, yes, I could

No, you couldn't.

Alex, you test my patience by repeatedly accusing me of lying

You have stated Chomsky defends totalitarian regimes. If you believe this to be the truth the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you have never read his work.

When I tell you I have read Chomsky, it's because I've read Chomsky.

Then convince me. Tell me something Chomsky has actually said. Telling me Chomsky defends totalitarian regimes when he has utterly condemned them in every book of his I've ever read isn't very convincing.

Fuck that

Fair enough. I think that says it all.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Xlea321]
    #3142630 - 09/16/04 08:22 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

sweet thanks for the recommendations everyone. :blah::blah:

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Tao]
    #3142996 - 09/16/04 12:02 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry but did you ask me?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Xlea321]
    #3143059 - 09/16/04 12:20 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

it was a question directed to anyone. but no worries, i just looked at the bestseller/best recommendations on amazon for 'chomsky'.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: An interview with Noam Chomsky [Re: Tao]
    #3143089 - 09/16/04 12:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

It didn't appear directed to anyone - you asked pinky "what Chomsky books would you recomend?". Then made the slightly strange post directed at me for not recomending you anything.  :confused:

Happy reading.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order