Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Power corrupts
    #3122614 - 09/11/04 04:29 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

So how can I be sure that it wouldn't do the same thing for a libertarian president? The Republicans got elected to Congress by saying they'd cut the size of government, yet they failed to do this, so how could I be sure that a libertarian president would succeed where they have failed?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
Re: Power corrupts [Re: silversoul7]
    #3122656 - 09/11/04 04:41 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

It sems to me that libertarian president is actual just because that is the only way that can make Bush win these elections again due to the relative majority he can get by that.

Anyway, libertarians have actually nothing to libertanism, they only took their colors. They are only back up if this two party system gets off at some moment.

Edited by Crobih (09/11/04 04:41 PM)

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3125470 - 09/12/04 11:05 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
So how can I be sure that it wouldn't do the same thing for a libertarian president? The Republicans got elected to Congress by saying they'd cut the size of government, yet they failed to do this, so how could I be sure that a libertarian president would succeed where they have failed?

Looking at events in a Vacuum, you couldn't be sure. Looking at them in context though, you'd see such a scenario would take decades, if not centuries, to occur. For the Libertarian Party to gain power, an immense amount of Americans will have realized what many of us here already realize, that the government of today run by the two major parties is taking us toward tyranny, and fast. If the populace warmed up to the ideals of limited Constitutional government, free markets, individual liberty, and non-interventionist foreign policy, Libertarians would be able to dramatically reduce the size and scope of government within a relatively short amount of time. Again, for large amounts of libertarians to be elected to public office there would have to be a sizeable awakening within the American political conscience. It would be impossible, at least in the short term, for an informed, enlightened American populace to fall for the same tricks by demagogue libertarians that they fell for by Republicans and Democrats. Recognizing that the attention span of the average human, and especially the average American, is short, the libertarians in office could fundamentally alter the Constitution(how is a topic for another thread, and something I have not thought out yet) in order to ensure we do not again stray from the path of liberty. In addition, if we did achieve the smallest federal government possible, the next step would be to *gasp* decide if government is neccesary at all. I, personally, have not made the leap yet to say that society without government would function. About to read some Rothbard(who is an Anarcho-Capitalist) in which he elucidates how functions such as justice, military, roads, etc. would work without government. But I digress...In summary, it would be hard to imagine a scenario in which an American populace that has recently awakened would fall into complacency in the short-term. It is likely that in that short-term, measures would be taken to prevent the gradual statist shift that has befallen us over the past century+. A rather optimistic view, I must admit.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Power corrupts [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3127625 - 09/13/04 12:39 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

the corrupt seek power.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
Re: Power corrupts [Re: BleaK]
    #3128778 - 09/13/04 10:36 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

No. Everybody seeks for power when the power is needed.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #3129366 - 09/13/04 02:09 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Well I don't think you'll have to worry about that because no Libertarian (or any third-party candidate) will ever be elected president unless the both the presidential and congressional electoral systems are completely scrapped and reformed in the following manner:

No electoral college--popular vote with runoffs for the Presidency
Proportional representation in the Congress

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3129396 - 09/13/04 02:15 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

> how could I be sure that a libertarian president would succeed where they have failed?

You can't until they get there... the difference is that the two big parties have had a chance and shown that they cannot do what they say... so do we continue to believe the lies and vote the same people in, or do we take a risk on something new?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3130157 - 09/13/04 04:58 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

This reminds me of my good ole' buddy. He is currently at a ivy league school pursuing a career as a politician. He already has many internships with republican congressmen. The funny part is, whenever we debate, we always agree with libertarian thought. When I ask him why he doesn't become libertarian and try to run on that ticket, he lets out a belly laugh and says, "I actually want a career in politics".

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion