Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTeamBoneThug
Stranger
Poo Q?
    #3119338 - 09/10/04 06:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From what I have read, straw/manure/worm castings seem to be a substrate which insreases the size of growing mushrooms compared to a casing material. Is there any way to, perhaps, create a poo based casing material? In other words, can you do a small scale bulk cultivation with relative ease, and if so, what is a good way to incorporate manure into a casing material to create a nice, big flush? Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poo Q? [Re: TeamBoneThug]
    #3119399 - 09/10/04 06:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

read the faq more...
casing has no nuits.
poo does
:blush:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineTeamBoneThug
Stranger
Re: Poo Q? [Re: george castanza]
    #3119750 - 09/10/04 08:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I knew that poo has nutes and casing doesn't, but I was just confused about using straight poo as a casing additive, however, I found the answer. Another question I have, after reading, is are worm castings treated the same as poo? Does it need pasturized and cut with something?

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3120550 - 09/10/04 11:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yes worm castings should be pastuerized like any other poo. You can use it straight without straw, but the deal with straw is (besides whatever nutritative and water content retention value it adds) it provides sort of "highways" through the poo to help the mycelium colonize faster and also get more completely all around every little chunk of poo so it can get all the nutes it ever needs. Straw is very worth it, I suggest you will not like the speed and quality of things with just poo.

And to be less confusing to us, you should refer to using the poo/castings/nutients in the spawn layer of your casing (or just simply "for spawning" works), so we don't correct you to clarify you had better not be putting it in the casing layer of the casing (which is more what we think when we see casing). Apparently you already know not to do that. And of course check out the grow logs section for probably tons of answers to straw/poo projects and pictures.

OfflineTeamBoneThug
Stranger
Re: Poo Q? [Re: Spudz76]
    #3122067 - 09/11/04 01:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, Spudz.

OfflineTeamBoneThug
Stranger
    #3122218 - 09/11/04 02:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What are your thoughts on this, Spudz, or anyone else: Thinking maybe take 2 uncolonized cakes, one colonized cake and a handful of worm castings to make a simple spawn. Straw may be a little hard to come by, at least until october when the decorative straw stuff comes around for halloween.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3123240 - 09/11/04 08:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It would probably work OK, just slow. You could mix a bit of verm in with the castings to keep them a bit more light and airy. I'd be afraid of them turning to mudlike goo and then you have no air pockets for things to grow evenly throughout. And water content would be hard to manage without making said mudlike goo. The straw works so well because of its hollow structure. Some have used regular dried/seasoned grass clippings from their lawn to some success but that could also be asking for trouble (also, if ChemLawn or other sprayer people do your lawn or lawns nearby then it's probably no good). Try finding straw at garden centers or craft stores they usually have little bales.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation