Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecorkscrew
Stranger
amanita panther's?
    #311924 - 05/07/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

does anyone have any idea if amanita pantherina is edible?...... cause iv herd of people taking them b4 but i'v also herd of people dieing from them?..... i am intrested to know if they are so please lemme know ...thnx CoRkScReW

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: corkscrew]
    #311931 - 05/07/01 11:22 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Not "edible" in the sense of a harmless meal. but intoxicating like A. muscaria only stronger. May also contain higher levels of muscarine which produces unpleasant/ dangerous side effects in addition to the weird drunkenness from ibotenic acid/ muscimol.

These chemicals are depressants and can be fatal (just like alcohol) in large overdose. More people have apparently died or been hospitalized from A. pantherina than from A. muscaria.

Abstain or proceed with caution. Better safe than sorry.

InvisibleMyco-420
enthusiast

Loc: BFE
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: Woodsman]
    #313050 - 05/09/01 10:59 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

IN highschool some dumb assed acquatiance of mine spent the afternnon in the hospital after tring to get loopy on some panther caps.

Someone should email me a bowl.

--------------------
Bong hits for Jesus

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: Woodsman]
    #313082 - 05/09/01 11:48 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Woodsman, I'd just like to know if you've read any factual information concerning individuals dying from consumption of Amanita pantherina. From what I've gathered thus far, people just spread info on the fact that they've "heard" of people dying from overdoses on the mushroom. Books say that Amanita pantherina is the mushroom that causes the most poisons in the PNW. I'm wondering if the"poisoned" people were actually ill or had a bad reaction to the effects of the "high" that some tend to brag about.
I've yet to come across any factual information about certain individuals being "poisoned" from this mushroom.
Any info would be appreciated. Stay cool!-Levi7.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: Levi7]
    #313104 - 05/09/01 12:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think Andrew Weil discussed Amanita panther poisoning eithe rin his book Marriage of the Sun and the Moon, Mushrooms III taken from the Journal of Altered States of Consciousness and the Journal of psychoactive drugs.

It may have also been mentioned in an article in the Botanical Museum Leaflets also written by WEil.

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

OfflineDhmon
Stranger
Loc: Argentina
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: corkscrew]
    #313114 - 05/09/01 12:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I tried Amanita Phanterina mixing it with San Pedro ( A Peruvian Cactus ) and i?m still alive :P
if you want to try A. Phanterina i recomend to eat nothing the 16 hs before the taking of a. phan. for your stomach ... you know ....

dhmon

Dhmon

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: amanita panther's? [Re: Levi7]
    #314391 - 05/10/01 10:38 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hullo Levi 7:

According to the VNR Color Dictionary of Mushrooms (Orbis Publishing, London, 1979), "Many deaths in Europe have been caused by this dangerous fungus." No specific citations of the toxicology literature given, unfortunately.

Almost every year in the PNW we get news stories about near-fatal poisonings from this species. Often elderly people who eat it unsuspectingly, then experience terrifying delerium followed by coma. Usually they are saved by a quick trip to the hospital, where CNS stimulants are administered to counteract the sedative effects. Those who HAVE died have apparently fallen victim to respiratory paralysis.

Being familiar with the inebriating effects of A. muscaria, I do not regard A. pantherina with any superstitious terror. But if I were going to experiment, I would err on the side of caution and start with small amounts.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies