Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them.
    #3117683 - 09/10/04 08:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Certain inflammatory words has been deemed taboo, and you can even get prosecuted for using them, these are often words of sexual or racial nature.

In my opinion, the more a word is frowned upon the more power it commands.
When a cuss word catches on and more or less becomes a word in common usage such as bitch or gay, it looses its magic, even when combined with the prefix fuck.

The word nigger for example, still commands a certain power. Its a hard word and makes an impact upon delivery. The more you hear a bad word the less inflammatory it becomes. Even nigger doesn't sound so bad today.

Now with all these words being taboo you can always count on having just the right insult to throw at someone in the heat of battle, and they will know that you are not playing around.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #3117688 - 09/10/04 09:00 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The meaning of a word is in the ear of the listener. If I cuss in a language that you do not understand, then, for you, my words have no meaning. Although I feel that categorizing words as vulgar and not vulgar is silly, I try to avoid using words that would offend other people. We obviously have too much time on our hands, and too strong of an ego, when we get upset because somebody utters a word that we disagree with. If I don't get upset when I see somebody eating a food that I don't like, why should I get upset when I hear somebody say a word that I don't like?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDankBluntZ
We know little
Loc: florida
Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: Seuss]
    #3117747 - 09/10/04 10:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with you there Seuss.... people that get offended by words alone , especially taboo ones, have way too much self importance.

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3117754 - 09/10/04 10:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

my $0.02

If you use a word like 'n*gger' in a non-friendly situation (especially white to black) you are using a word bigger then you can fathom. For many it is but a small word or even a naughty word.. But for others it vomits up their life's experience of being rejected privately and professionally with a flood of associated imagery of the historic oppression and very personal incidents.

By using the word as ammo to hurl at someone you can be percieved as siding with the oppressors and condoning all that has ever been done in the name of racism.

If somebody white (or Asian) uses it in innocent context like in singing a rap lyric i make a mental note and review it.

If somebody white (or Asian) uses it in a bitching rant it greatly lowers my impression with the quality of his/her character.

If somebody truely maliciously uses the word I regard them as scum of the dangerous kind and will stay on my guard and cut whatever ties exist between me and that person and put at least ten foot of physical distance between us.

If somebody displays clear severe racist ideology along with that they are on the opposite of what i stand for as a human being.

The same goes for equally severe hostility towards severely persecuted groups. (gender, ethnic, sex pref and some religious persecution)

Hate is a state of mind all people posess. If I am to look where hate dwells within myself, I would say that i hate hategroups and hatecrime.

But back on topic: I think in the case of words like n*gger the sense of taboo does not as much empower the word but rather the degree of taboo is proportional to the personal rejection of the one using the word. Haters take pleasure in using the word, attraction rather the repulsion.

If people take a word that has a history of abuse and use it amongst their own oppressed group its in ill taste but not at all the same.

I like to apologetically say:
"Hey, I can't help it: too much LSD in the nineties" :evil:
This has a nice shock effect to the uninitiated if properly used (cant say that to your granny!), with noobs it can cause anticipatory excitement but among psychedelic veterans its usually good for a mellow amused chuckle :smirk:
Most people equate LSD with murder/insanity/death as if it were marijuana :shocked: and its among these that it holds taboo.

Taboo ---> Rejection of the offending stimulus.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: DankBluntZ]
    #3117757 - 09/10/04 10:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Cunt is still very inflamitory.

After that, "Slag" is also very unused for a dirty whorebag. Call a woman a thilthy SLAG and see what happens.

A new word like dicknuckle (came before I knew about the name fucknuckle) carries alot of ill shit too. What is a dicknuckle anyways?

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3118134 - 09/10/04 01:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomnoob said:
Certain inflammatory words has been deemed taboo, and you can even get prosecuted for using them, these are often words of sexual or racial nature.

For which words can you be prosecuted if you use them?

Quote:

The word nigger for example, still commands a certain power. Its a hard word and makes an impact upon delivery. The more you hear a bad word the less inflammatory it becomes. Even nigger doesn't sound so bad today.

Yes, the word "nigger" is still not a good word, imo, but I notice that it is losing its "heat". I have seen it used by members here against each other, and no one seems to become offended.

I have heard to used between whites to each other, in front of blacks, and no one seemed offended. Of course, blacks have been calling each other nigger for a long time.

I personally wouldn't call someone a nigger. In my mind, it still carries the weight of what blacks went through, but I do agree that the more a word is used, the less power it has.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: Frog]
    #3118878 - 09/10/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure what words in particular you can get prosecuted for but in Sweden it depends on the context in which it was used.

I can get prosecuted for calling a girl a dirty whore for example. Personally i think its ridiculous and when/if i ever get my law degree i will refuse to ever touch such a case.

Most slander cases are pathetic.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3118895 - 09/10/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Dirty whore is over used.

She's not a dirty whore, she's a THILTHY SLAG!

--------------------
Agent 727

Edited by MAGnum (09/10/04 04:22 PM)

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3118921 - 09/10/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Power is whatever you hold above you. When being offended by mere words, you are surrendering yourself to your oppressor. Be calm and do not be offended. The best way to handle ignorance is with kindness and a smile.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: psyka]
    #3119377 - 09/10/04 06:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

its strange.. i go to answer a post, and psyka has already done it for me.

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3119994 - 09/10/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Calling someone a name is not actionable here, in CA.  I'm not positive about the entire U.S., but I'm almost positive it's not actionable any where.

I remember a case in law school, where someone was suing someone for calling him a son of a bitch.  The "son of a bitch" didn't win.  On appeal, the court said that no one could be a son of a dog in heat, and therefore even if the one who called the name did it in front of others, no one could realistically believe that he was actually the son of a dog in heat.

However, while the First Amendment protects most speech, you can't yell "fire" just for fun in a movie theater.  :grin:  That's actionable.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3120707 - 09/11/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"a word is merely the vessel in which intention travels"
-me

damn, I'm good :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Making inflammatory words taboo empowers them. [Re: jux]
    #3120726 - 09/11/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"Calling someone a name is not actionable here, in CA."

That is very sad...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology