Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineuncarved_block
journeyman

Loc: High Country
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: shellacct]
    #312177 - 05/08/01 09:15 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Wouldn't Perilite work about the same? Is that just a brand name of verm?

"such a fine line between stupid and...clever."

--------------------
"such a fine line between stupid and...clever."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: uncarved_block]
    #312192 - 05/08/01 09:38 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Perlite is something else all together.
It's not a brand name of verm.

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: ]
    #312238 - 05/08/01 10:33 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Vermiculite is a mineral either derived from or similar to mica which is then puffed. Perlite is volcanic glass that is then puffed. So the perlite is completely void of nutrients (Although I doubt verm has much) and also a little more difficult to work with given the abrasive dust. Also I don't think the perlite has the same amount of water retention, but I could be wrong. It wicks it well but I don't think it actually can hold as much, but again I could be wrong.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: uncarved_block]
    #312249 - 05/08/01 10:43 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

no, perlite is moe of an aerous rock, its usually very hard. vermiculite is softer and can hold more water i believe.

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

OfflineKrendle
veteran
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: elfin]
    #312451 - 05/08/01 04:13 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Well fuck, I made some phone calls a week or two ago and the first place I called looking for it said they carried it and had all kinds in stock, and I think that was an agway...btw I too am in new england.

This space for rent.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

OfflineLiquidGaia
Loc: USA,
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: Krendle]
    #313378 - 05/09/01 06:42 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I'm currently using Schultz "Moisture Plus Potting Mix" (i've listed the ingredience above) and I currently have Thai and Pesa cased in it, its colonzing extremely fast, much faster then the 50/50+, and I'm guessing its due to the compost and lime in it. I'll keep you guys posted on the size of the flush in comparison to the old 50/50 I use to use.

Its a sad thing that verm is being taken away, looks like we're all gonna need to do the whole grain tek (which in my opinion is better :), but fer the newbies, there might be some trouble.

Let the Love flow and Good Vibes resonate.

Love You All,

Liquid Gaia

--------------------
[green]Let the Love flow and Good Vibes resonate.[/green]
[red]
Love You All,[/red][blue]
Liquid Gaia[/blue]

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: LiquidGaia]
    #313435 - 05/09/01 07:59 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

my walmart in the midwest has been out for a few months and says that they have no clue as to when the can get more. they are blaming asbestos. But i was thinking what would in be like to use sand for the in place of the verm in on top of the substrate in jars?

Larry

come to drool donkey island http://ddisland.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #313481 - 05/09/01 09:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think the vermiculite will stay. It is a very large industry, they are probably just biding their time while this blows over. But as for perlite, here is the definition from dictionary.com
per?lite also pearl?ite (p?rlt).
n.
A natural volcanic glass similar to obsidian but having distinctive concentric cracks and a relatively high water content. In a fluffy heat-expanded form perlite is used as a lightweight aggregate, in fire-resistant insulation, and in soil for potted plants.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: magnusra]
    #313484 - 05/09/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I completely forgot to respond to the sand thing. I'm not too sure that it would work. I think too much would fall in the spaces in the substrate. Also I think it might compact a little too much for good air exchange.

--------------------

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Loc: MN
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: magnusra]
    #313509 - 05/09/01 09:32 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Sand is good for drainage, but not good enough for areation of fungi, if you ask me.

Take it easy. And if it's easy, take it twice!

this excerpt and all characters contained within are entirely fictional. Any similarity to reality or not is completely coincidental...

--------------------
Life is what happens while you're making other plans...

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Loc: MN
Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: MNmyc]
    #313517 - 05/09/01 09:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

And from what I understand, the asbestos thing is isolated to the mine in montana (?).

There is apparently few places (4) that produce vermiculite. Who cares about it? just don't breathe it. it makes little scars in your lungs, that's all. Like fiberglass.

Am I ignorant?

Take it easy. And if it's easy, take it twice!

this excerpt and all characters contained within are entirely fictional. Any similarity to reality or not is completely coincidental...

--------------------
Life is what happens while you're making other plans...

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Vermiculite Outlawed. [Re: MNmyc]
    #313528 - 05/09/01 09:45 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yea it definitely isn't a big concern unless you are constantly working with the stuff (e.g. Working at the mine or at a potting soil factory where you be contstantly exposed). The asbestos they found in the consumer stuff was barely detectable and yes only from one mine. They hit a batch or the rock which contains it. And it is a highly dangerous substance when inhaled in large enough quantities. I think it is a carcinogen, but it also brings about unique respitory diseases like asbestosis, and mesothelioma. In other words it's some bad shit but you should be more concerned about getting it from old buidings then verm.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate