Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Nature v. Nurture
    #3116459 - 09/10/04 12:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am basically a happy person. Things can change from day-to-day, and at times moment-to-moment, that can cause me to feel elated or depressed. In general, I?m just an optimistic person.

Actually, let?s don?t use the word ?happy.? It invokes, in my mind, images of a happy idiot. Let?s use the word ?content.? And in my case, you could even use the word ?joyful?.

I?m content with life. I?m not where I want to be, yet, and I have goals that I would like to meet, even if I never reach them, but life is good. People are great. Even though I have to deal with assholes on at least a weekly basis, people are great.

I had some events occur in my life today that weren?t so great. They caused consternation and ultimately a bit of stress.

But now I?m sitting here thinking, ?I love life!?

Do you want to know why? Because ultimately, life is a challenge. Up or down, good or bad, it?s a challenge. I?m interested to see what happens next, even when I have recently experienced something that?s not so good, and even though initially, I experienced some stress, I become optimistic about how it will play out.

Is this part of nature or nurture, that we have the outlooks that we each have on life?

I personally think it has to do with nature, but I?m sure that nurture has something to do with it. I had a pretty bad childhood, all the way up to 18. I did bad things and got into trouble from 18 to about 26. One would think I would be pessimistic about life. But I?m actually optimistic, and nothing keeps me down for very long.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: Frog]
    #3116568 - 09/10/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When it comes to an individual's outlook, I think it's safe to say that both nature and nurture play a role. Brain chemistry mostly influences someone's perspective, but brain chemistry can be triggered by events (such as winning the lottery or death of a loved one).

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3116593 - 09/10/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

usually nature and nurture are intertwined with eachother, but in the case of someone's outlook I'd say it mostly has to do with the environment and how you delevoped your thinking patterns

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: Worf]
    #3116647 - 09/10/04 01:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Viaggio, I agree with you that both play a role. I wonder how much of a role each has to play, though.

outputrotation, if what you say is true, I would be a person most likely to be pessimistic.

If they are intertwined, then probably in my case, nature wins over nurture, because it would seem that I should be pessimistic due to my childhood.

And in the case of someone who had my childhood but turned out to be a pessimistic adult, probably nature won out.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3116674 - 09/10/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Come to think of it, I think I misunderstood this thread. I'm not sure which neurotrannies are responsible for pessimism and optimism.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: Viaggio]
    #3116789 - 09/10/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know, either.  That's why I posted this thread.  I'm too lazy to go look it up myself.  I'm hoping someone can tell me. 

I studied this in a class about a zillion years ago, and I guess the professor must have been a lousy one, cuz I don't remember what he said about it.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #3117079 - 09/10/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

once I was asked why I used drugs even though they damage my brain.  The best answer I can come up with is simply this: Sometimes you gotta take away a little from the nature and give it to the nurture :wink:

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3117152 - 09/10/04 03:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

There are a lot of smart people on this forum.  I would say that the intelligence of people who belong to this forum = the top 10% of society.  However, you are one of the tops of the tops. 

Um or are you a bottom?  :grin: 

Sorry, maybe my mind is still lurking at the bottom where my thread on anal intercourse lies.  :grin:

Just a personal aside.  Ignore this post.

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: Viaggio]
    #3117578 - 09/10/04 07:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

viaggio said:
Come to think of it, I think I misunderstood this thread. I'm not sure which neurotrannies are responsible for pessimism and optimism.

I strongly oppose this belief. I believe it is ultimately you who controls your brain chemistry.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
    #3117623 - 09/10/04 07:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You should be very happy about your happiness! It's not easy to lead a 'content' or positive life as moods do fluctuate. Even people with somewhat "happier" childhoods (although who's to judge pain?) can end up depressed or confused in their adult lives.

The brain reacts more strongly to stimuli it sees as negative. There is a greater surge in electrical activity, and we are more influenced by this negativity. This most likely evolved in humans as our survival depends on keeping out of danger's way. The brain developed systems that would make it unavoidable for us not to notice danger so that we can respond to it.

But for some people, one minor negative event is enough to put them in a bad place psychologically, sometimes leading to permanent and severe impairment, while others bounce back from things which should, by reason, be more damaging.

The people in my life who i respect seem to get "older and wiser" by experience and error alone, and often by facing fear. And usually, much like yourself, they are not aware of how exactly this happens.

Stay happy!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Turn on your lovelight, let it shine on me

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: psyka]
    #3117660 - 09/10/04 08:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

amen

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3118041 - 09/10/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
Quote:

viaggio said:
Come to think of it, I think I misunderstood this thread.  I'm not sure which neurotrannies are responsible for pessimism and optimism.

I strongly oppose this belief. I believe it is ultimately you who controls your brain chemistry.

I disagree with this statement.  But I'm interested to know why you made it.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Nature v. Nurture [Re: lovelight]
    #3118085 - 09/10/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lovelight said:
The people in my life who i respect seem to get "older and wiser" by experience and error alone, and often by facing fear. And usually, much like yourself, they are not aware of how exactly this happens.

Maybe it's realizing that one has overcome what might appear to be insurmountable odds that causes a more optimistic view on life.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3118785 - 09/10/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:

Eh...you might be able to offer some resistance to whatever cocktail is slushing around your brain bowl, but ultimately...you are a slave to the chemicals that make up most of your perspective.

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3118898 - 09/10/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Very simple. It took only ONE day for me to change from pessimestic, depressed, suicidal maniac, to what I am to this day, and I thankful for what I have been shown. You decide who you are, this very moment.

You can be depressed because you feel alone all you want, but in reality that is just an illusion you have accepted upon yourself. All negative emotions that seperate you from your true source are illusory emotions. Inner peace and understanding is as simple as claiming it, I promise you.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineElfWizard
Wizard
Loc: The middle,Outside,nowher...
    #3120554 - 09/10/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's a matter of both you are who your are but we are shaped by our experiences. I think the whole vs thing is a mistake. As if it has to be one or the other and they are some how in conflict. I think if any conflict between the two exist it is by action Like nurturing someone in a way that goes against their nature. Not that I don't think you can nurture someone in a way that goes against their nature but it has to deal with their nature in the first place. For me I was born with the feeling/knowledge that their is something greater and all that is reality cannot been seen with our eyes ect. But my parents are Both Psychologist who are very firmly Scientific in there view (if you cannot study it classify it label it it must not exist) Now thanks to their Nurture I have a understanding and even love of sciences and am able to build computers do home wiring study Quantum mechanics. But my Nature was too strong to allow me to give up on the mysteries of man, mind, matter, and energy and how they seem all connected so I never lost my love of magic or the fact That my belief in something greater has led me to become a Reverend.  I don't belive it is a matter of one or the other but a blending of the two

:heart: :thumbup:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3121860 - 09/11/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
Very simple. It took only ONE day for me to change from pessimestic, depressed, suicidal maniac, to what I am to this day, and I thankful for what I have been shown. You decide who you are, this very moment.

You can be depressed because you feel alone all you want, but in reality that is just an illusion you have accepted upon yourself. All negative emotions that seperate you from your true source are illusory emotions. Inner peace and understanding is as simple as claiming it, I promise you.

There are people who have organic or chemical roots to their depression, etc. They cannot change how they feel just by thinking themselves out of it.

But yes, otherwise I agree with you.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology