Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStevo21
Aimless drifter

Incubator for casings?
    #3114981 - 09/09/04 07:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i keep my jars in a cooler with an aquarium heater in a jar of water/H202, but the casings are obviously alot larger than this and couldn't fit in there anyways. Any suggestions on constructing a large incubator, or better yet, how to make one from a terrarium that will be used for fruiting after its ready?? WOuld that be OK? Thanks everybody!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Incubator for casings? [Re: Stevo21]
    #3115905 - 09/09/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why do you want to incubate your casings??? Once the myc. has been cased you want the temps around room temp anyway??

Help me here to help you?? I am confused.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Incubator for casings? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3115939 - 09/09/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Some people case then incubate for another 2-3 days or so.

-FF

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Incubator for casings? [Re: fastfred]
    #3116519 - 09/10/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Right, especially when casing from crumbled cakes or something.  But also on grains.  To allow time for the mycelium to veg back together in unity and also level out perfectly in case the surface was a bit uneven, before sending them to do the pinning work.  Or time to get a little water uptake assuming you add a bit to the casing.  Or if doing dung/straw casings where the spawn has to colonize over the added roughage substrate.

Not necessary in all cases but benefitial in most.

EDIT: oops, and to answer the original question about making a dual-use chamber, yeah you could probably get that to work if you had a spot that was usually 72 or so and also had a heater/heating pad to bring the temp up into mid 80's or so, and a way to cover it for darkness and more reliable constant temperature.  Run the heat for a few days with it covered up in incubator mode, then uncover and disable the heat and fan it out and spray the walls down, and if you have it like a PMP with a air pump turn that on, and add light up top (if aquarium, keep sides covered from other light since it can affect the direction the shrooms grow).  Perhaps also put in a frozen liter bottle (or other plastic bottle, or even the real 'freezer packs' like used in coolers instead of ice - but a pop bottle with water in it is much cheaper) to help knock the temperature down (the base water in the perlite/rocks will be warm still and keep the local temp kind of high and not allow for the quicker temperature change you're looking for).  If it's all combined up right and you can make the environment change rapidly enough with the four triggers, then it will work great.  And even if you mess up one of them it will still work good, and you'll know for next time around.  Something that complex will take a bit more procedure and timing and getting to know the environmental settings and how to get them there.  Good luck, give us pics if you build something really cool (or heck, even if it sucks we'll at least rip on it for you to help make it better!). :smile:

Edited by Spudz76 (09/10/04 01:13 AM)

OfflineStevo21
Aimless drifter

#3122865 - 09/11/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, does anybody have a good setup design for at least 3 casings...I have 9, but I could cycle them. Any advice appreciated as the jars will be done soon. I was thinking about using a terrarium with a jar and aquarium heater in it to heat it. Thanks everybody

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
    #3123936 - 09/11/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

tub in tub with the big totes I can fit quite a few of those gladware casings.... magash has a tek on one, not sure how big his are but they make some goddamn big totes. I find I have to cover mine with a sheet to get it to hold the temp steady but thats fine with me.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3124440 - 09/12/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Some people case then incubate for another 2-3 days or so.

-FF

This is the prepinning stage where where temps should be at 82-84 degrees and co2 levels should be at 10,000+ PPM. This the time to get that casings moisture level to optimum levels ("near saturation") and it should "glisten" with moisture by a series of light mistings over a period of several mistings. This is also a very important part of a good pinning strategy! :wink: good call fast fred :wink:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Incubator for casings? [Re: hyphae]
    #3125124 - 09/12/04 05:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Quote:

fastfred said:
This is the prepinning stage where where temps should be at 82-84 degrees and co2 levels should be at 10,000+ PPM.

How would you get the CO2 levels that high? If you dump your substrate out into pans and then casing them it would seem like they would have a very low level of CO2 and I can't see how it would build up to that level in three days. Also your pan would only be covered with tinfoil, so it would seem like it would allow a fair bit of gas exchange.

I've never measured co2 concentration or anything so I may be way off base here. It sucks that it's so tough and expensive to measure co2 levels.

-FF

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3125811 - 09/12/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

CO2 levels will increase rapidly once covered it doesn't take as long as you think FF. I'll tell you it does help speeding up the casing run and helps keep the moisture content of the casing more stable (by covering) not to mention the added bonus of not losing one of your pinning triggers. GL guys

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation