Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
Honey mushrooms?....or something else
    #3114681 - 09/09/04 06:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I just happened to run into a few mushrooms on a walk to my shed, to get some tools. Every time that i bent over to pick one mushroom up, i would notice more and more. I followed them until they led me out of sight of my house!

Anyways i found a bunch of large yellowish brown mushrooms, near the bases of trees and decaying tree stumps. Most appeared to be growing from the ground but they may have actually been growing from wood that was burried underneath the soil. The caps on some were up to 5 inches wide, the stem almost a cm thick on a few specimens. I noticed that the cap expands with age, margin plane to slightly uplifted. I didnt get a chance to do a spore print but i assume that it is white, i will set one up in case. I only picked a few younger specimens, cause the matured ones fell apart very easy and many had begun to rot. Matured specimens showed a much darker color though. They grow in clusters. My guess: genus = Armillariella.

And i think that these may be ringless honey mushrooms.. They grow in HUGE clusters all over the place, i must have seen 1000's growing out of the base of a living tree today, i must go back tommorow to get a pic of it.

I also ran into a orange mycena

And another species that i have never seen in this area, appears to have purple gills, orange-brown cap/stem and grows on the ground. I am spore printing these also and will go into more details after i get a chance to do some research.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Honey mushrooms?....or something else [Re: array]
    #3114790 - 09/09/04 07:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, those first ones are Armillarias. You'll need to go through the key on Tom Volk's site (just Google for "Armillaria key") to determine exactly which species.

The second ones look like Ringless Honey Mushrooms to me. You should get a spore print to verify them.

For the third one, we need to know if the edges of the gills are the same color as the gills or darker. If darker, what color are they? Also, try cutting the gills and see if the cut changes color.

The last ones are Laccarias, probably Laccaria laccata, a mushroom so common it's almost like a weed. All of the Laccarias are edible, although not wonderfully so.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
Re: Honey mushrooms?....or something else [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3114950 - 09/09/04 07:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The gill color of the orange one is a lighter orange/almost white color. The edges look the same. I forgot to mention that it was found growing from wood. I'm pretty sure that the orange one is a mycena.

I agree with the last ones being Laccarias, i didnt know that they were so common. I must have ran into some in past mushroom seasons but i can't quite remember.

Thanks a lot for the cool info ToxicMan, you rule!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Honey mushrooms?....or something else [Re: array]
    #3115837 - 09/09/04 10:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree that the orange one looks like a Mycena, and that it was growing from wood is more confirmation. To verify the gill edge color you will almost certainly need to use a magnifier. There are several Mycena species that resemble those, and we need to know if they have marginate gills or not (If the gill edges are darker than the gills). Also, does it bleed a color if the stem is broken?

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification