Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShoney45
journeyman
Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms
    #3114019 - 09/09/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This is pretty much a question coming from someone who is totally ignorant about the use of mushrooms. I have only taken them once before about five years ago. And all I had then was a small stem. I got high off of it and had a good time with my friends, but I didn't dose hard at all. I use to do lots of Acid, but no shrooms. After many years of not using any drugs, I decided that I want to use some psychedelics, but you almost never know what you are getting when you buy acid...especially if it is blotter...plus you can't know if it is any good or not. I bought a gram of 2cT2 over the summer and took that a lot, I dosed as hard as I thought was safe at a Dead show and had a really great time. But I have to fast from food and water for about eighteen hours before using that stuff or else I vomit, so it is kind of a hassle to use. The other thing is that I just plain don't want to go to all of the trouble of developing conections in the drug world. It is always iffy, and basically a major pain in the ass anyway.

Anyway, after I harvest the mushrooms, I cut everything into tiny bits about the size of half of a pea. I make a little pouch out of a nylon mesh screen, and tape the pouch in front of a small fan that I keep in the refrigerator. After about twenty four hours of drying, they are cracker dry and it is like holding a pile of tiny pieces of gravel in my hand. I don't have to mess with using a dessicant because I live in a very dry climate.

So here is my question, once I cut them open, they turn really blue within a minute or two. And once they are dry, the little pieces are almost completely a super dark hue of blue. They look like little chunks of dried really dark blue ink. The mushroom I ate before wasn't very blue at all, and I have heard people here talk about blue mushrooms being pretty good ones. So I am wondering if my experience is normal and if they sound like they are going to be good mushrooms (I wish I had a digital camera so that I could post a pic). Or is some component of the mushroom reacting with some component in the air and causing something in the mushroom to turn blue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Shoney

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: Shoney45]
    #3114038 - 09/09/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cubes turn blue when they bruise. It's fine. If you don't want them dark, let them cracker dry before you crush/cut them

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

OfflineShoney45
journeyman
Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3114069 - 09/09/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok Cool, I was most concerned because I wasn't quite sure how I should dose with them. Don't want to trip so hard that I completely lose it. Bad trips are the worst. I have only had one once when I was on acid, and man it was the very worst experience in my life. It was ad infinitum worse even than sitting next to some gelatinously obese woman on the bus with foul cigarrate breath and sewer like body odor. Yup, it was even way worse than that. It didn't help at all to have Helter Skelter from the White Album SCREAMING in my mind and tormenting my every thought. Whoosh. Nope, I don't want something like that again.

Shoney

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
    #3114073 - 09/09/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just dose normal and it'll be good

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3114173 - 09/09/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Erowid has a nice answer to this.

Does more mushroom bluing indicate higher potency?

But mostly, exactly what others said.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3116903 - 09/10/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you don't like the blueing... just spray some vitamin C water onto the shrooms! It will even turn blue ones white again!

I don't see much discussion of this simple method here, it's only briefly mentioned. As far as I know I invented it, and I've been using it for around 7 years. I've done some cool experiments with ascorbic acid. I'll probably write a tek at some point when I understand the chemistry better.

-FF

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: fastfred]
    #3117106 - 09/10/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ascorbic acid does similar to apples, and keeps them from browning when cut and exposed to air. Such as lemon juice. So that sort of makes sense. But I have to wonder if the acidity could fiddle with any of the potency.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: Spudz76]
    #3117134 - 09/10/04 01:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think it causes any problems. Psilocin and cybin' are more soluable in acidic conditions, and extractions are usually acidic in order to get the highest yeild, so I think any problems would have shown up during the testing done.

My current question is weather adding ascorbic acid actually converts oxidized psilo back into psilo... It was once claimed that it did, but I have been unable to prove or disprove that assertion.

-FF

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: fastfred]
    #3117239 - 09/10/04 01:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would think that since ascorbic is usually an oxygen scavenger, it would not necessarily "forcibly" take back the oxygen the psilocin already bound up with.  Unless one was in a weaker bondage than the other.  But I don't know how it reverses the bluing then, if it indeed does.  On apples I think it won't reverse so much as just stop the continuation of oxidation (brown staining).

And I know pretty much no chemistry, other than a few basics.

Good point on acids not breaking down the active compounds, I should have remembered the use of vinegar for extraction.  Durrrrrr! :smile:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Concerning Almost Completely Dark Blue Mushrooms [Re: Spudz76]
    #3117269 - 09/10/04 02:00 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

My O-chem is pretty rusty... I only got a C in it anyway... Ascorbic acid will actually reverse the blueing.

Here is a cool experiment you can do. Grind or break up a mushroom or two and place it in some water. After awhile the water will turn a distinctive blue color. Now add some ascorbic acid and watch the solution turn back to crystal clear!

Pretty amazing. I'm still hoping to do some experiments to see if it is actually converted back into psilo or what exactly is happening. I'm going to run some samples on a spectrometer, but I can see some problems with quantification since the extract is so crude. Perhaps if I extract better (acid-base or something like that) I'll be able to get good results.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag