Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleredheadTony
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: New York
not aborts, but stunted growth
    #3113324 - 09/09/04 02:18 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

here's the deal..i have a lil unusual setup, of a old earplug plexiglas box. even tho most teks said not to, i put perlite on the bottom, verm, crubbled up cakes, then cased with verm on top.
now, everything is growing at normal speeds except the veil break off when they are pretty small. they grow larger than lil aborts, but still arn't growing as big as they could. By the way, i'm using cube/nepal strain. the temperature stays in the 70's. the air exchange is good, no signs of contam, and i babysit them like they are my first born. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. here's a couple i picked today..notice the size compared to a lighter.

--------------------
/////Invention my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: not aborts, but stunted growth [Re: redheadTony]
    #3114692 - 09/09/04 06:41 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

They are in an earplug box, so they are growing to the size of nice earplugs.

But seriously, maybe you haven't got enough relative humidity in the air or your temps are fluctuating a lot, both of those can cause stuntedness/aborts. As can lack of oxygen/buildup of CO2, but it would seem you probably have that under control since you mentioned it. If you had something separating the perlite from the casing, like a little tray that would still fit in there, or even a home-formed tray out of heavy aluminum foil, and had a inch of so area around the outside, rather than building your casing directly on the perlite, you may have better luck - but I am not sure if this is the actual problem (pretty sure it's not), but it can't hurt to fix it anyway.

Do you have a lid on that except for when you fan it or whatever? That would jack your humidity low especially nearer the top of the box and could cause the problem (down low, it might still be humid enough since it's right nearby the perlite/evaporation source, so you get pins and fruits but then they get up in the drier air and give up). Are you spraying the walls at all after fanning?

InvisibleredheadTony
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: not aborts, but stunted growth [Re: Spudz76]
    #3122323 - 09/11/04 02:48 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

I do have a lid that hinges open, and i leave a crushed cigarette box to keep it propped open about an inch. so I'm thinking the humidity might not stay high enough. should i just keep it closed and fan it more often? also, are there any devices that would keep the temp low? and would it be a bad idea to cold shock after the first flush?

--------------------
/////Invention my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: not aborts, but stunted growth [Re: redheadTony]
    #3123291 - 09/11/04 08:36 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Yeah probably that lid is open too wide, you really don't need any opening at all except of course to fan and spray now and then (probably more often since it's a small container) - the fanning takes care of all the fresh air they need.  You could lower temps by finding some of those plastic ice cube replacement things which you freeze, like at the dollar store or even the grocery/department store sometimes has them (near the other plasticware/housewares), freeze them and toss a couple in, use a couple more or couple less to adjust for the temp you want.  Same as using a frozen pop bottle of water just scaled down to fit in your little chamber.  Or place the box on top of something cold, like the flat freeze packs they make for use in coolers, but use towels or you'll get lots of condensation on the packs and it will run all over the table or wherever you have the thing.

Cold shocking won't hurt anything no matter when you do it.  Though it doesn't always help much either, and is said to be totally unnecessary anyway.  Though the fridge dunk method works the 'cold shock' there is more to keep other contams from being able to start, and also for the initial dunk it does trigger pinset a little quicker IMHO (but not IME, cuz I have none). :smile:  The 10F drop from incubation to fruiting is enough, assuming your chamber is actually 10F lower than incubator which is sounds like it might not be.

InvisibleredheadTony
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: not aborts, but stunted growth [Re: Spudz76]
    #3125889 - 09/12/04 02:15 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

thanks for all your help. i'm making a temporary ice block until i get a flat freeze pack.
thanks again

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation