Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShaw

making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard?
    #3110661 - 09/08/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

you can get it at home centers for $8 a 4x8' sheet. it is 1/8" thick and has an enamel type coating on one side. it seems to be made out of some sort of pressed wood fiber material. I was thinking of making a glovebox with it. anyone know where i can find instructions on building an old style flat pannel glovebox? this would be to use for cloning mostly.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: Shaw]
    #3110847 - 09/08/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Get a bin! ($8) helluva lot cheaper, easier, and gives ya more time to build that flowhood, Martha, TnT, PMP, etc; GL :wink:

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: hyphae]
    #3111842 - 09/09/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You have a nice glovebox there Hyphae.
Here's mine, similar, but with the holes to the side because it's a really small box (I went cheapo)...

I really like the idea of using tupperware jars or whatever for the arm holes, that's awesome.
I'd probably advise against making holes in the side, because it's kind of a pain to work with my arms at the angle they're in.. shoulda thought of that before making it.

Sorry if these are simple things I pointed out and should know better or something, I just decided to make a box the other day and came up with a simple idea, that apparently is a popular one!

Also, Hyphae, that's a glovebox you have there, right?  Not a flowhood?
If so, when you stick your arms in the holes, isn't there some excess space between your arms and the box for contams to float through?  On mine I used a garbage bag in a ring-shaped type thing so when I put my arm in the hole, it first goes through the plastic bag and acts as a seal against the outside, if that makes sense how I describe it.
Not saying that I know what I'm talking about, because I don't, or that I think yours is bad or that I'm cool or something, I just thought I'd share a little thing I did that I thought could help sterility in my box.  :thumbup:

Offlinebastard_turtle
Stranger

#3111908 - 09/09/04 01:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Nice box ksizzle :thumbup: . Just one question. When you spray the inside of the box with lysol, or similar disinfectant, won't the spores be killed by the lysol fumes?

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: bastard_turtle]
    #3112277 - 09/09/04 03:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

turtle- I dunno if you were specifically referring to me when you ask about spraying, but I don't spray it with all the stuff in there, that was just right after I made some syringes :smile:

personally, I start out by opening up the box with nothing in it and spraying lysol everywhere until it's almost sopping wet, then I close it up and block off one of the end holes with a piece of cardboard wrapped in saran wrap held on by some tape (ghetto, I know, but it really blocks off the end, I made sure of that!) and then from the other open end I liberally spray oust until the whole thing mists.  Then I block the other end with another cardboard piece, and let it sit for a while.

When it clears up and there's no visible wet spots from the lysol I know it's ready (that can take a while, too).

By then I've flame sterilized my scalpel and whatever else I'll be using and wiped down with iso, and then I undo one of the glove holes and kinda toss it all in, haha (I also spray the whole general area with oust before I open it up obviously).  Then I just insert my lysol-sprayed, bacterial-washed rubber gloves in and I'm ready to rock and roll!

As a side note, another reason I like what I did with the garbage bag filter thing is when I do take off the cardboard blockers, the bag is draped down, so any crap in the air that could get in would just land on the lysol-ed "valve" and couldn't go anywhere once I stick my hands in there.

I don't think that's overkill at all; if anything it's underkill (is that a word?) because I don't think you can be too cautious about contams!

Offlinebastard_turtle
Stranger

#3112299 - 09/09/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the info!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: ksizzle]
    #3112733 - 09/09/04 08:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've made my first GB right from Oss & Oeric back in the early 80's, it was fun and all but now I can't get rid of it!!! ksizzle let me explain still air and the fact that the rest of the box is sealed tight air has a very hard time entering that and the fact that the room is "cleaned" including the air and I always wear gloves. Also my forearms leave just enough room for movement. :wink: GL guys

InvisibleShaw

#3112807 - 09/09/04 09:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok, see that is more like what i was wanting to make, but lighter. I understand the simplicity of the plastic tubs, but don't like them because i can't make one with the sloping front and i like the flat sides. thanks for the help though. do any of you know what detail they go into in TMC? i will get my copy back from a friend if it has any info.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3112846 - 09/09/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

TMC doesn't go into any detail but I will tell you that you will want the top to flip up (mine does) it really makes loading much nicer and a must for cleaning. Also go slightly wider than deeper this is a real aid when working in the box. Another thing notice the micro torch? it's sweet as hell to work with, I started with an alcohol lamp and it almost melted through the viewing window (1/8in. Plexiglas) the thing I really love about the torch is horizontal flame! and instant heating. :laugh: GL Shaw

InvisibleShaw

#3113105 - 09/09/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks, that's the stuff i wanted to know. That is a sweet torch indeed. where would one pick up such a thing? a home center or a smoke shop?

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3113189 - 09/09/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That was from a MAC tool dealer, Snap On and Matco also have them for around $25-$30.

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
    #3114502 - 09/09/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That torch is just a butane one, right?
Cuz that's what I've been using, and they're awesome.  Having a fat horizontal flame is neato indeed!

Well I certainly put your little POS thing to shame, don't I??
I mean, yours only has freakin arm extenders and a frame and is actually airtight, etc. etc... hrumph.  :mad2:

:wink:

And hey, I wasn't hating on your box anyway, I was just throwing one of my silly ideas out there, haha.
I mean come on, how can you doubt hyphae's 1337ness?  YOU CAN'T  :bow:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract