Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
BBC Bias
    #3112910 - 09/09/04 10:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The only bias I can see here is in favour of the Israeli's. By calling those who clashed with the tanks militants it implies they were not just ordinary people trying to defend their homes against Israeli aggression but offers no proof to backup its assertion other than the word of the Israeli army. How do you "righties" see the bias in this piece as the BBC is famously anti-Israel etc.?

Four killed in Israeli incursion

The clashes began before dawn in the refugee camp
At least four Palestinians have been killed and 10 others injured as Israeli forces pushed into the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza.
Scores of militants clashed with a column of tanks and armoured vehicles entering the camp, after troops had surrounded it before dawn.

Three of the dead were fighters and one was a 13-year-old child, reports said.

Israeli troops deployed near Jabaliya on Wednesday to stop militants firing rockets at Israel, the military said.

The latest attack to hit Israel began on Wednesday morning. The homemade Qassam rockets landed in the Negev desert, causing no injuries, an army spokesman said.

A BBC correspondent in Gaza says Israel is finding it hard to counter the strategy of the Palestinian militant group Hamas to fire rockets randomly at civilian areas. A recent occupation of northern Gaza failed to stop the attacks.

On Tuesday, Hamas vowed vengeance for 14 of its members who were killed in a strike against a militant training area in Gaza City.

Denials

Israel has again threatened to expel Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat from the West Bank.

"There is no room for Arafat among us," said Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, who added that Mr Arafat is "closer than ever" to being removed by Israeli forces.

Mr Arafat, restricted in Ramallah by Israeli troops, denies Israel's allegations that he is behind suicide bombings against Israeli civilians.

Mr Shalom's remarks were the second Israeli threat made against Mr Arafat in four days.

Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz said a security cabinet decision made a year ago to expel him remained valid.

However, he suggested this had not been done in order not to complicate Israel's planned disengagement in the Gaza Strip.

The last suicide bombing hit the southern city of Beersheba on 1 September. The double bombings were the first fatal attack in Israel for nearly six months.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: BBC Bias [Re: GazzBut]
    #3113028 - 09/09/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> Scores of militants clashed with a column of tanks and armoured vehicles

If a civilian population fights, then it becomes a militia and the individuals militants.

> Three of the dead were fighters and one was a 13-year-old child

Very biased...guess they should not have mentioned the child.

> Hamas vowed vengeance for 14 of its members

Members of Hamas, a known terrorist organization... oh wait, I mean armed civilians bringing about peace by suckering kids into strapping bombs to their bodies and blowing other people to bits...

Obviously I have missed something... please point out the bias as you see it.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: BBC Bias [Re: Seuss]
    #3113584 - 09/09/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

If a civilian population fights, then it becomes a militia and the individuals militants.

Thats not the way I understand the word.

From dictionary.com: Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.

militant

adj 1: engaged in war; "belligerent (or warring) nations"; "a fighting war" [syn: belligerent, fighting, war-ridden, warring] 2: showing a fighting disposition without self-seeking; "highly competitive sales representative"; "militant in fighting for better wages for workers"; "his self-assertive and ubiquitous energy" [syn: competitive] n : a militant reformer [syn: activist]

The point I am making is that many consider the BBC to be pro-palestinian, the Israeli government in particular believe this. But by labelling people who attack tanks which are encroaching into their homes as militants they legitamise the Israeli's killing these people. Especially if you use the common definition of the word militant in favour of the less used Seuss definition.

We see what we want to see.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3113934 - 09/09/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> Especially if you use the common definition of the word militant in favour of the less used Seuss definition.

:grin:

Quote:

The point I am making is that many consider the BBC to be pro-palestinian, the Israeli government in particular believe this. But by labelling people who attack tanks which are encroaching into their homes as militants they legitamise the Israeli's killing these people.

Hmmm... I will start reading with the above in mind for a bit and see if I come to the same conclusion... you make a valid point in this case, but is it the same throughout their reporting?  Wouldn't surprise me one way or the other.

Good retort... brought a smile to this drury day.  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: BBC Bias [Re: Seuss]
    #3114231 - 09/09/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Good retort... brought a smile to this drury day.   

Glad to have been of service  :grin:

Quote:

is it the same throughout their reporting? Wouldn't surprise me one way or the other.

Im not sure to be honest, this just stood out to me when I read it today.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3114261 - 09/09/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, that's funny because I hear people complain all the time that BBC is Pro-Palestinian and too critical of Israel.

What I hear the most is about CNN: half the people I know think it's a Right wing bias, the other half think it's a left wing bias.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale