Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
Psilocybe mexicana substrates? Attn: Workman
    #308312 - 05/03/01 06:29 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I noticed on the Spore Works mexicana page it lists millet and wheat straw as substrates. Has anybody tried anything diffrent than Rye? Does the Old BRF even support growth of the mexicana? how would it do on a mixture of a little BRF, maybe a little flax seed meal, finch-seed(millet, right?), and verm (basicaly Ryche's max fruiting formula for cubies)...later cased with straw? opinions?
how would that formula effect sclerotia production....in other words im asking if would be a worthwhile road to follow....Any help is appriciated...We need more Info on this wonderful shroom.

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe mexicana substrates? Attn: Workman [Re: anima]
    #308408 - 05/03/01 10:16 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

looking through here, it seems that workman hasn't posted here in quite a while, I guess I'll send him an E-mail. I'm still open to suggestions though.

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #308414 - 05/03/01 10:24 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

When you say rye, I assume you mean rye grass seed and not the cereal grain rye. The recommended substrate is grass seed, rye grass seed is specifically mentioned because it is the cheapest available, especially the annual variety.

As far as colonizing other substrates, just about any grain or flour will work, including the BRF substrates. Fruiting ability on these substrates is not proven but is highly likely. I have a mexicana culture fruiting on Potato Dextrose agar, which is a good sign that they can fruit on a variety of substrates.

Straw is not technically a casing and would probably contaminate after application if not fully colonized within a couple of weeks.

This species is rather new to the general cultivating public and it will take some time before a good general method is refined. Please experiment and report your results.

We have isolated a superior sclerotia forming strain not yet available (Strain A). The current available strain appears to be a better fruiter with only modest sclerotia forming abilities (Strain B).

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe mexicana substrates? Attn: Workman [Re: Workman]
    #308455 - 05/03/01 11:35 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

dang busted my chops...
Well that is very encouraging. I think I'll see how that millet verm, BRF & flax does (it really invigorates cubies).
Hell while I'm at it i might just see if it'll grow on the old brown rice cakes.
about that straw, ive had nothing but good experiences with straw (with cubies), you are correct (as always) that it is not a "casing" but The way that I've found that works good is take a 10 gal tank and give it 1/2 inch perlite (moistened to capacity and sterilized),about 4 pts colonised grain all broken up, ok and on top of that i'd throw 2 pint jars worth of chopped up wheat straw and verm and another 2 pint jars of just verm (altogether about another inch), both of them sterilized, even though everyone says just to pasturize your straw. I put a top on that with 2 holes in diagnal corners. The intake hooked up to a h202 bubbler, the outake goes through a big upside down U, the outside leg is lower than the inside one, which is just above the substrate level, to make a C02 siphon...heres the feature, you should keep it totally sealed until your straw is colonized and mycel is poking up through the verm then crack the lid about 1/8" and prepare for a flush of massive proportions.
very great highly reccommended, the only thing you have to worry about after that is the temp.

Well If im this enthusiastic after my grain is done colonizing, i might just give just that a whorle.
ill keep this thread updated

--------------------

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

#311121 - 05/07/01 03:38 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

*Update*
O.K.
as promised, some Mexicana spores have been introduced to the following environments:
a coupla jars of "Ryche's max fruiting formula"
10 parts Birdseed (steeped with a little honey)
3.5 parts brown rice flour
2 parts flax seed meal
5 parts verm
water to consistancy
and another(small) jar containing the old PF tek BRF & verm.
this occured yesterday, no germination yet. From what I've read the Mexicana typically takes 5 days to germinate.
I hope Workman is right, If this all works I think we will see the Mexicana gain some popularity.
Hey Workman (thanks for your help by the way), in that pic of your A isolate, is that an albino? Does your A isolate's caps get all upturned and wavy like the B isolate? VERY COOL STUFF
*Update Complete* (more to come)

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #311281 - 05/07/01 11:53 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The A isolate doens't flatten out like the B and looks more typical of the wild type. It also forms very few fruits. It is not an albino, but several mushrooms in every tray I have grown tend to have this pale dry look to them. I am not sure why since mushrooms next to the pale ones look moist and dark.

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

#314653 - 05/11/01 10:03 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

*UPDATE # 2*
Ok, Still no germination (been 5 days) in the birdseed or BRF. I'll give It a couple more days...Patience.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #314699 - 05/11/01 10:50 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

What is the temperature?

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe mexicana substrates? Attn: Workman [Re: Workman]
    #315269 - 05/11/01 10:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I had it a little high...~85 F....but after the first 2 days (and a little reading) I lowered it to 80F. Should I lower it further? One more question, should the substrate for the Mex be wetter or drier compaired to cubies?

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #315700 - 05/12/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I use the same moisture levels as with cubes. 80-85F should be fine. I would expect you to see something in a couple days.

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags