Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Mushroom English paper.... a risk?
    #3107074 - 09/08/04 03:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Basically, I had to do an expressive essay in English for college. The paper had to be about a person/place/object/experience that you feel very strongly about. He told us that we couldn't write about our sig. others though.

Well...I decided that the thing I feel most strongly about is my egoloss experience on mushrooms. So after thinking about it and knowing that my teacher loves controversy, I decided to do my paper on my mushroom experience.

It's a good paper I think, but now I'm kinda nervous. I wouldn't do it if the professor wasn't such an awesome guy. I think it'll be okay, but I'm anxious about it.

So what do you think? Is this too risky?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: MOTH]
    #3107110 - 09/08/04 03:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

risky for what? you think he's gonna turn you in to the cops or something? english teachers love reading papers like that. whether they agree with the subject or not, i'd bet they get tired of reading the same old monotonous crap that gets pumped out by students over the years he's been a teacher.

if you do turn it in, would you mind telling us the response you get?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

Loc: BatCountry
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: felix]
    #3107114 - 09/08/04 03:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that would be interesting

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: felix]
    #3107156 - 09/08/04 04:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
risky for what?  you think he's gonna turn you in to the cops or something?  english teachers love reading papers like that.  whether they agree with the subject or not, i'd bet they get tired of reading the same old monotonous crap that gets pumped out by students over the years he's been a teacher.

if you do turn it in, would you mind telling us the response you get?

Sure.  I didn't initially think it was a risk until someone mentioned to me that it could be.  So then I got a little worried.  I'll post back here as soon as I know what he thinks.  :sun:

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3107188 - 09/08/04 04:56 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

cool! I hope you get an A+ :laugh:

OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: stefan]
    #3107194 - 09/08/04 04:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah me too!!!

OfflineRequiem
More Better

Loc: Hangin' out on the Sealab
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: Kinderfeld]
    #3107227 - 09/08/04 05:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Good luck with the paper.
If you do write it, can you post it in the pub too?

--------------------

"I want your Soul.
I will eat your soul."
-Aphex Twin

:dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: Requiem]
    #3107290 - 09/08/04 06:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah! i'd love to read it!

i think you are presenting yourself 0 risk in writing this paper. inspiration comes in a myriad of forms.

OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: debianlinux]
    #3107299 - 09/08/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Very well put debianlinux. :thumbup:

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3107329 - 09/08/04 07:31 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'd say go for it! You'll suprise your teacher to death, and they'll love it. Who knows, maybe this teacher has tripped in the past, and if that's the case I'm sure you'll get extra credit! I know more than one of my college professors who are familiar with kynd  :wink:

Best of luck!  :thumbup: Let us know what happens :smile: :mushroom2:

Offlinecosmicray
Emaho!

#3107366 - 09/08/04 07:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Do it! Go with your gut. Writing isn't about doing what everyone else does. Aldous Huxley makes for quite a literary precedent...

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #3107477 - 09/08/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Whenever I'm supposed to write an English essay about something, I always think maybe I should write one about drugs or something... but then I back out.

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
    #3107572 - 09/08/04 09:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'd like to read it, but I wouldn't call it turning it in "riskless".  But life is about taking risks :P

By the way, as mentioned above, post it here when you're done :laugh:

Edit:
As to the original question, if I think it's too risky, no.

Edited by Digs (09/08/04 09:59 AM)

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3107770 - 09/08/04 11:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

my senior year I did a 35 page thesis on LSD as it relates to cognative thought for a advanced psych class....My binding pages were some Album cover blotters

I think a mushroom paper would be cool

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: goobler]
    #3110600 - 09/08/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ellemy you're going to school in austin right? Even if it would be a risk somewhere else, I would be confindent no one would think twice about it there. I say go for it.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3110633 - 09/08/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Either go all out and do it 100% or don't do it all. Whatever you do don't sugar coat and half ass it. Isn't texas a pretty conservative place?

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: Worf]
    #3110651 - 09/08/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yes...except for austin. It's a gorgeous liberal oasis in a sea of conservative wasteland.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: Hooty]
    #3110831 - 09/08/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

go for it. 

freedom of speach man!!!

where are we in a world today that art is to be confined?!

no fear!

btw, i know it's been said like a bunch of times, but please do post your essay.  would be fantastic!  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Mushroom English paper.... a risk? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3111272 - 09/08/04 11:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

In highschool I wrote a paper on tripping on 5.5g's of "bomb" as I put it in my composition class. My teacher, said "wow, thats quite a dose", I felt really comfortable though, he was crazy cool. The first day he handed out a sheet of what topics we would be covering and mind expansion/self exploration was one of them....I flipped out when I saw books like acid test, and be here now on the agenda. good times...

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

#3111319 - 09/08/04 11:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thats cool, let us know how the paper went over.

I wrote and presented a speech as a senior in high school last year. I posted the speech when I was writing it on another forum, I wrote it on a section of Food of The Gods, I had just finished reading it the night before she assigned a perssausive speech, it had to be done, you know.

It didn't go over too well, it was by far one of the best reserached papers in that class, she eventually called home for it like 3 months after I did it. which was weird. haha, thinking back that teacher was a fucking nut case just out of college anyway. I don't know what I was thinking, she always bragged about being an RA.

ok, heres the orignal thread in its full glory

Quote:

Well If anyone remembers me talking about a speech I was writing concering Terence Mckennas food of the gods, I have finished it. I will present to a group of about 20-30 highschool seniors tomorrow. I have to do a 10 min presenation and give them a worksheet. I have a few figs from the book on a over heads and have copied the glossory from the back of the book.

Here is an unformated copy, I highly suggest you download the .doc, if for some reason you can't open it request a format and I'll probably get around to it.

----

Specific Purpose Statement: The relationship plants, namely mushrooms may have played in the development of early religious practices.

INTRODUCTION

I. Read Page 31-32

He had left the confusing flickering of the group fire and walked a few steps away to make water. The sound of his own voice came low and in the throat. Nee nee nee nee neeh. She Who Feeds Us seemed unusually powerful this harvest moon night. Enchanted by the landscape transformed by intoxication and moonlight, he walked farther away from the noises of the domestic scene.
The hekuli was near, he could feel it. At this thought the hair on the back of his neck rose up. There was a sound like shaking of seeds in a gourd. The he saw the hekuli; it looked like an iridescent flower, mouth, or sphincter hanging in space. And there were others behind it, spinning slowly in the darkness, some on way, some another. They approached him like a school of curious jellyfish. There was a soft liquid explosion as the nearest one reached him and passed through his body. At that moment the interior of his head flared with sunrise-pink light and he was infused with the presence of the thing. Impressions followed one another too swiftly to comprehend. Time fell away; super fluids of frozen agate seemed to rush through enormous spillways. He had a sense of flinging himself happily into death, a kind of wild orgasmic paroxysm of self-affirmation. A previously inarticulate bubble of emotive intent came to his lips. Tears were running down his cheeks. He had said these words before. But he had never said and understood them in this way before. Ta vodos!, Ta vodos! I am! I am!

a. This is a very reasonable assessment of how early life may have been for the first hominids.
b. Roaming the grasslands of east Africa, eating whatever looks edible humans had to have eaten Stropharia Cubensis, the familiar magic mushroom.
II. Relationships between plants and animals and their effect on society are as old as time, they have for many millennia shaped the way we think and act.
a. I intend to explain this relationship, namely the relationship mushrooms may have played in the development of early religious practices.
III. I first became interested with plants and their relationships with humans after reading Dr. Rick Strassmans DMT: the spirit Molecule: A doctor?s Revolutionary research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences and through Daniel Pinchbeck?s Breaking Open the Head. More recently I finished Terence McKenna?s Food of the Gods. Where he goes into detail exploring the relationships of numerous plants, and how they have affected humanity and shaped cultures since the dawn of time.
IV. Today, in my speech I will briefly summarize the ideas of McKenna and his interest in ethnomycology, a sub field of Ethnobotany, or more specifically, the study of human cultural and historical interaction with fungi, especially mushrooms.

BODY

I. First, we should establish who Terrence McKenna was, and how he became interested in the subject of ethnomycology and ethnopharmacology.
a. He arrived in the Upper Amazon in the Early 1970s, after spending time among the scattered vestiges of religion that litter Asia.
b. His interest was sparked while studying shamans and their use of mind-manifesting plants in their practices to achieve transcendental ecstasy with the Gaian earth.
c. From shamanism McKenna was able to observe the unstudied relationship between plants and religion and came to the conclusion along with many thousands of others that "psychedelic plants, and the shamanic institutions that their use implies, are profound tools for the exploration of the inner depths of the human psyche."

II. To continue it is also essential to redefine the term drugs as associated with intoxication. And also become aware of the meaning of language.
a. There is an old adage that states human are creatures of habit, this rains true when examining the fact that many drugs are currently used in sub-threshold levels for simple maintenance. Among the more popular ones are drugs such as tobacco, sugar, and caffeine.
b. I also believe it is important to note the way in which language works. (read pg 15, Para. 5)

Languages appear invisible to the people who speah them, yet they create the fabric of reality for their users. The problem of mistaking language for reality in the everyday world is only too well known. Plant use is an example of a complex language of chemical and social interactions. Yet most of us are unaware of the effects of plants on ourselves and our reality, partly because we have forgotten that plants have always mediated the human cultural relationship to the world at large.

III. Establishing this, McKenna begins his linear progression of the relationship that plants have had on the human species over many millennia.
a. Now, I intend to explain his theory on how plants were involved in the beginning?s of religious practices.
IV. Essentially, he proposes a new view on Human evolution, stating:
a. The first human contact with psilocybin-containing [magic] mushrooms may have predated the domestication of cattle in Africa by a million years or more.
b. But more important, is that domestication of cattle would bring humans in a closer contact with these mushrooms, whose spores come to fruition in the dung of the cattle.
c. In addition, besides deepening the interspecies co-dependency it is also at this time when we find the beginning of calendar making and religious rituals.

V. He goes on to point out currently accepted trends in human evolution.
a. Pointing out and asking a common question, that evolution in higher species occurs over tens of millions of years, though Homo sapiens brain size has tripled in merely 3 million years.
b. Charles J. Lumsden and Edward O. Wilson authors of Promethean Fire: Reflections of the Origin of the Mind call this ?Perhaps the fastest advance recorded for any complex organ in the whole history of life.?
c. Science has yet to explain how about 100,000 years ago we as a species emerged as we did as linguistic, self aware individuals.
d. And many paleontologists and evolutionary theorists? proposed a now discredited missing link.
VI. Terence suggests the real missing link may have been psilocybin, dimethyltryptamine (DMT), and harmaline.
a. He had naturally come to this conclusion, though a study entitled Psilocybin-induced Contraction of Nearby Visual Space this study supported his thesis. The study was conducted by researcher Roland Fischer, a pioneer in the field of psychoactive therapy.
i. Fischer, who gave sub threshold level dosages of psilocybin to graduate students and measured their ability to detect the moment when a parallel line skewed.
ii. He found that some are actually better informed after taking a drug than if one has not.
b. Further, Terence reviews the three scenarios which will come about when taking psilocybin containing mushrooms.
i. Low Level usage, without any notice of psychoactive dosage is consistent with Fischer?s findings; the increase in visual acuity or the chemical binocular effect is very effective in a Hunter Gather society.
1. Resulting in a higher food supply for a population, and improving the percentage of a clan that reaches reproductive age resulting in an out breading of non mushrooms using cults.
ii. In higher dosages it increases restlessness and sexual activity, and mushrooms being linked to a seasonal lunar cycle would also concur with the regulation of sexual activity.
iii. And finally still higher levels would certainly induce religious activity, or full blown shamanic ecstasy.
c. The above, dealing with prehistory is more of an educated assumption of what may have happened, because it lacks concrete empirical evidence.

VII. An educated guess therefore has many arguments that connect early religious practices to mushroom rituals.
a. Non Nak Tha, an archeological dig in Thailand is littered with graves in close proximity of zebu cattle.
b. Stropharia Cubensis is still prevalent in the area, today.
c. And since psilocybin containing mushrooms are coprophilic in nature it leads one to speculate the importance of such a finding concerning cattle.

VIII. This connection to cattle is not unique to Non Nak Tha, and connections can also be made between cattle and other early cultures.
a. Namely That of Catal Huyuk, where religious shrines are dedicated to Cattle.
b. Also, other interesting lost cultures point to signs of Mushroom use. As can be examined in these overheads.

IX. Delaying the focus on cattle for a moment, I would like to point out the magical plant, Soma, mentioned in the Vedas of early Indo-European cultures.
a. Soma?s identity lost for more than two millennia has great importance on many early cultures and religions, but none so important as Hinduism, who?s foundation is formed from the teachings of that magical plant?Soma.
b. Now, briefly, I will talk about the current theories of what Soma is.
i. Gordon Wasson argued that Soma was a mushroom, namely the red fly agaric, Amanita muscaria.
1. Until recently Amanita muscaria had been used in Siberian shamanism, and is viewed like a four leaf clover in modern artwork.
2. Wasson?s case can be seen in his book, Soma: Divine Mushrooms of Iimmortality.
3. And still others such as James Arthur go into more detail about Amanita muscaria, crossing over and linking into ethnobotany, Siberian shamanism and general theology.
4. Yet, still more, Heterodox Bengali Hindus have identified soma as a Psilocybin containing mushroom.
ii. Coinciding with the theory that Soma may have been Strohparia cubensis
1. The relationship between cattle is also notable, in that Hinduism holds cattle in High esteem. This relationship is an old one, one very prevalent in the Vedas.
X. Ethnobotany is young in relative terms when comparing it to the birth of science.
a. And Terence goes on, discussing in more depth, the relationship of other plants and how their effects have shaped cultures.
i. Exploring the 3 thousand year old mushrooms cults of Oaxacan Mexico first made known to the western world in a 1957 edition of Life Magazine.
ii. Talking about his own personal experiences with DMT. DMT is found in ayahusca practices in South America and the Caribbean.
iii. And further reanalyzing many cultures throughout recorded history, covering everything from ancient Greece, Medieval and present day Europe, as well as others. Discussing how plants played a part in the process of shaping cultures.

CONCLUSION

I. Though Terence McKenna?s Ideas are not always accepted I have only begun to explain the half of them, and there is a lot to study in the subject of Ethnobotany.
a. I hope this has held your interest enough to consider reanalyzing commonly held views on other cultures and possibly reading the rest of Terence?s Book, ?Food of the Gods?.
II. In short, I hope you now reconsider your understanding of how early religious practices may have been.

Arthur, James James Arthur: Mushrooms and Mankind. 2000 10 march 2004
< http://www.jamesarthur.net/mm.html>

Fischer, Roland, et al., ?Psilocybin-Induced Contraction of Nearby Visual Space?
Agents and Actions 1, no. 4 (1970) 190-197.

Lumsden, Charles J, and Edward O Wilson. Promethean Fire: Reflections of
the Originof the Mind. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1983.

McKenna, Terence Food of the Gods. New York: Bantam Books, 1992

McKenna, Terence. Terence McKenna Land. 10 march 2004
< http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm>

Oeric, O.N, and O.T Oss,. Psilocybin: Magic Mushroom Grower?s Guide.
Berkley: Lux Natura Press, 1986

Wasson, Gordon R. Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality. New York:
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1971.
---

heres the original thread from general discusion. http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.ph...t=ST&f=9&t=7826

EDIT: I have reread it to find some spelling errors. I haven't changed them online, though, becuase they are that minor and I don't feel I should be wasting my time further editing and uploading just isn't needed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom