Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard?
    #3110661 - 09/08/04 11:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you can get it at home centers for $8 a 4x8' sheet. it is 1/8" thick and has an enamel type coating on one side. it seems to be made out of some sort of pressed wood fiber material. I was thinking of making a glovebox with it. anyone know where i can find instructions on building an old style flat pannel glovebox? this would be to use for cloning mostly.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: Shaw]
    #3110847 - 09/09/04 12:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Get a bin! ($8) helluva lot cheaper, easier, and gives ya more time to build that flowhood, Martha, TnT, PMP, etc; GL :wink:

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: hyphae]
    #3111842 - 09/09/04 03:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You have a nice glovebox there Hyphae.
Here's mine, similar, but with the holes to the side because it's a really small box (I went cheapo)...

I really like the idea of using tupperware jars or whatever for the arm holes, that's awesome.
I'd probably advise against making holes in the side, because it's kind of a pain to work with my arms at the angle they're in.. shoulda thought of that before making it.

Sorry if these are simple things I pointed out and should know better or something, I just decided to make a box the other day and came up with a simple idea, that apparently is a popular one!

Also, Hyphae, that's a glovebox you have there, right?  Not a flowhood?
If so, when you stick your arms in the holes, isn't there some excess space between your arms and the box for contams to float through?  On mine I used a garbage bag in a ring-shaped type thing so when I put my arm in the hole, it first goes through the plastic bag and acts as a seal against the outside, if that makes sense how I describe it.
Not saying that I know what I'm talking about, because I don't, or that I think yours is bad or that I'm cool or something, I just thought I'd share a little thing I did that I thought could help sterility in my box.  :thumbup:

Offlinebastard_turtle
Stranger

#3111908 - 09/09/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nice box ksizzle :thumbup: . Just one question. When you spray the inside of the box with lysol, or similar disinfectant, won't the spores be killed by the lysol fumes?

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: bastard_turtle]
    #3112277 - 09/09/04 05:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

turtle- I dunno if you were specifically referring to me when you ask about spraying, but I don't spray it with all the stuff in there, that was just right after I made some syringes :smile:

personally, I start out by opening up the box with nothing in it and spraying lysol everywhere until it's almost sopping wet, then I close it up and block off one of the end holes with a piece of cardboard wrapped in saran wrap held on by some tape (ghetto, I know, but it really blocks off the end, I made sure of that!) and then from the other open end I liberally spray oust until the whole thing mists.  Then I block the other end with another cardboard piece, and let it sit for a while.

When it clears up and there's no visible wet spots from the lysol I know it's ready (that can take a while, too).

By then I've flame sterilized my scalpel and whatever else I'll be using and wiped down with iso, and then I undo one of the glove holes and kinda toss it all in, haha (I also spray the whole general area with oust before I open it up obviously).  Then I just insert my lysol-sprayed, bacterial-washed rubber gloves in and I'm ready to rock and roll!

As a side note, another reason I like what I did with the garbage bag filter thing is when I do take off the cardboard blockers, the bag is draped down, so any crap in the air that could get in would just land on the lysol-ed "valve" and couldn't go anywhere once I stick my hands in there.

I don't think that's overkill at all; if anything it's underkill (is that a word?) because I don't think you can be too cautious about contams!

Offlinebastard_turtle
Stranger

#3112299 - 09/09/04 05:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the info!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: making a gloveboxout of bathroom wallboard? [Re: ksizzle]
    #3112733 - 09/09/04 10:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've made my first GB right from Oss & Oeric back in the early 80's, it was fun and all but now I can't get rid of it!!! ksizzle let me explain still air and the fact that the rest of the box is sealed tight air has a very hard time entering that and the fact that the room is "cleaned" including the air and I always wear gloves. Also my forearms leave just enough room for movement. :wink: GL guys

OfflineShaw
hick

#3112807 - 09/09/04 11:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ok, see that is more like what i was wanting to make, but lighter. I understand the simplicity of the plastic tubs, but don't like them because i can't make one with the sloping front and i like the flat sides. thanks for the help though. do any of you know what detail they go into in TMC? i will get my copy back from a friend if it has any info.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3112846 - 09/09/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

TMC doesn't go into any detail but I will tell you that you will want the top to flip up (mine does) it really makes loading much nicer and a must for cleaning. Also go slightly wider than deeper this is a real aid when working in the box. Another thing notice the micro torch? it's sweet as hell to work with, I started with an alcohol lamp and it almost melted through the viewing window (1/8in. Plexiglas) the thing I really love about the torch is horizontal flame! and instant heating. :laugh: GL Shaw

OfflineShaw
hick

#3113105 - 09/09/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks, that's the stuff i wanted to know. That is a sweet torch indeed. where would one pick up such a thing? a home center or a smoke shop?

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3113189 - 09/09/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That was from a MAC tool dealer, Snap On and Matco also have them for around $25-$30.

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
    #3114502 - 09/09/04 05:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That torch is just a butane one, right?
Cuz that's what I've been using, and they're awesome.  Having a fat horizontal flame is neato indeed!

Well I certainly put your little POS thing to shame, don't I??
I mean, yours only has freakin arm extenders and a frame and is actually airtight, etc. etc... hrumph.  :mad2:

:wink:

And hey, I wasn't hating on your box anyway, I was just throwing one of my silly ideas out there, haha.
I mean come on, how can you doubt hyphae's 1337ness?  YOU CAN'T  :bow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology