Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HPS, Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Cannabis Knowledge Thread
    #3110101 - 09/08/04 10:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thought I would share a few tips and tricks I've picked up over the years from other growers, research, and first hand experience. I do not do anything illegal now including cultivating cannabis, nor posess any contraband, so I am not incriminating myself.

Please add your own lesser known growing and usage information so we can have a good knowledge base of the not often convered ins and outs of cannabis use and growing.

Tip #1
Spring Harvest

So the winter is fading enough to not have any freezes at night. You plan on putting out your seedlings in a month or two, right? Wrong. You can place plants outside and have a spring harvest as soon as it stops freezing at night to hold you until your fall harvest, or do it all in the Spring due to its advantages.

Start your seeds or cuttings inside for up to five months before planting time. For me, this is November which is great because it gives me something to do after harvesting those final sativas. Prune or train your plants if you like, or let them grow naturally. During the Spring, there are little to no helicopter flyovers looking for marijuana. Plan your big harvest in the Spring if stealth is not very possible in the fall. You probably will want to stick with containers instead of planting them straight into the ground. You may need to move them inside at night during some late winter freezes.

How does Spring budding work?

Your plants will be inside under 18/6 or 24/0 light periods. The shock from moving them out to short end of winter days will trigger the budding response. The days will remain short enough to get them far enough along into budding to not revert to vegetative mode in longer spring days. Indicas work best for this due to their short flowering period and cold tolerance. Most growers in the US will want to move their plants out in March to allow for 3 good months for the plant to deal with stress and fully flower. I have read that the light hitting the US in the Spring is more UV intense and like a metal halide, whereas fall light could be compared to an HPS.

Sativa buds will stretch due to the long flowering period making them go into late Spring/early Summer. They will still finish though, they may not be the prettiest but they will pack every bit of potency of a fall bud. So it is worthwhile if you want to grow a sativa or two and have the space.

When you harvest your buds, leave the lower portion of the plant with your smallest buds. This will likely cause the plant to revert to vegetative and give you another harvest in the fall.

:rasta:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: Organic]
    #3110231 - 09/08/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

www.overgrow.com # read the growFAQ here it is very complete.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3111931 - 09/09/04 03:40 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

WHY?

He just posted knowledge straight from his head, thats the best kind!
And as I recall Organic is a medical grower,so when he has advice :thumbup:

Ya, overgrow is great, but just saying, read the grow fah-Q at overgrow isnt the same as having someone with knowledge pouring out what they have learned.

and didnt you read this part...........

"Please add your own lesser known growing and usage information so we can have a good knowledge base of the not often convered ins and outs of cannabis use and growing."

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3112789 - 09/09/04 11:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

^^^ :thumbup:

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3112971 - 09/09/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Leave a few lower braches after fall harvest and bring the plants inside. Reveg them. They may become stressed and become hermaphrodites. The resulting cross polination of all female genes will be extremly vigorus 100% female plants.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3116076 - 09/09/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Good tip SheikofShiitake. If everyone with knowledge on growing contributes, we could actually point people to a location other than OG, this thread :smile:

Tip #2
Avoiding Outdoor Pests and Mold

If you are having problems with rabbits, deer, or other smaller animals, most will tell you to put a small spraypainted fence around your plots. I've found this ineffective because A) It is not very stealth at all, no matter how much you spraypaint it B) Rabbits and deer can jump.

The best thing to do is to rub ivory soap or spray ivory soap solution on the lower main stems and branches. Rub it around the edges of your container if you are using one. This works for most small critters and especially rabbits.

If you are having problems with rats or bears digging in your soil, then bone or blood meal is likely the culprit. Bears are more of a concern than rats, and can knock plants over and dig up the entire root system to get to bone meal. If you live in an area with a high bear population then you should just use a different source for your N, P, and K. If its too late, flush your soil well and scrape off any meal on the topsoil.

There are a lot of recipes for organic insecticides and premade ones on the market, so I won't really go into those. I will say that Neem Oil is excellent although I wouldn't go near my plant with it in flowering just due to taste, but some people say they cannot taste it after a couple of rains.

Mold is a bigggg problem for growers this year, just browse OG's outdoor forums to see. Hurricanes, high humidity, hot weather, stale air all contribute to mold. Some molds are native to the soil and are really hard to prevent. A 33% solution of hydrogen peroxide (food grade) and water sprayed onto molded bud sites will help slow the spread of the mold, but it rarely totally prevents it. Look out for thin spider web looking links between fan leaves, this is often a first indicator of a mold setting in. Neem oil works for some molds, including "bud rot", but still pull off the heavily browned/yellowed area and spray around the infection.

Offlinevc77
grillmaster
 User Gallery

Loc: University Place, WA
    #3116853 - 09/10/04 02:05 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

A good way to kill small mites and insects is to soak a few ciggarette buts in a quart of warm water overnight. In the morning, strain the butts and spray your plants down completely for a series of 6 days. The butts containe nicotine toxins that kill any small insect or pest.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: vc77]
    #3117073 - 09/10/04 03:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"A good way to kill small mites and insects is to soak a few ciggarette buts in a quart of warm water overnight. In the morning, strain the butts and spray your plants down completely for a series of 6 days. The butts containe nicotine toxins that kill any small insect or pest."

Sorry, but thats HORRIBLE advice, there are so many chemicals in tobacco , some of which may even do serious plant damage.(not to mention the damage to human health)

People growing with chem ferts is bad enough(radiation), why do something gross like that??(cig butt spray)

I have seen mason jars full of water and cig butts countless times, and I wouldnt feed it to my vegtables and I wouldnt feed it to my cannabis.

Yuck.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3117639 - 09/10/04 08:03 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, and grasshoppers and other insects eat the hell out of my tobacco plants.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3118049 - 09/10/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Have a snail problem? I know those suckers eat up mushrooms, not sure about weed, but anyway...

put a small cup of beer in the ground, the snails will be attrached to it and will drown.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3118732 - 09/10/04 03:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Soon I will give everyone here a preview of Mark D. Merlin's New first Chapter of his masterpiece book Man and marijuana, re-edited and re-written by me and Rob Clark of Marijuana Botnay. the original three chapters have been rewritten into five. I have a copy of the first chapter avail;able to post at my leisure. maybe by next week.

This is the original work ont he history of Hemp.

mj

It was Merlin's master thesis for the Dept. of Geography at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. the book will appear next year under a new title.

Offlinevc77
grillmaster
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3118927 - 09/10/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sorry, but thats HORRIBLE advice, there are so many chemicals in tobacco , some of which may even do serious plant damage.(not to mention the damage to human health)

I said a couple (2-3) of ciggarette butts, not a handfull of chew tobacco.

Smoke it down to there, and cut off all the tobacco with a pair of scissors. The water shouldn't even change color, and if at all, hardly. The amount of carcinogens will not even harm the plant, but it will kill small insects. And no, with my experience, I have never had grasshoppers or any other insect attack my plant after wards.

Maybe if you did your research, and actually tried this, you would realize that it wont kill or even harm your plants.

Quote:

I have seen mason jars full of water and cig butts countless times, and I wouldnt feed it to my vegtables and I wouldnt feed it to my cannabis.

Great. Neither would I.

Edited by vc77 (09/10/04 04:34 PM)

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3118992 - 09/10/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Maybe if you did your research, and actually tried this, you would realize that it wont kill or even harm your plants."

Why add toxic chemicals at all????

why pollute the plants like that???(toxic chemicals???)

The fact that some people use radioactive ferts is bad enough, thats what makes tobacco so dangerous, organic tobacco isnt so bad. (its the ferts and added chems that make tobacco VERY harmfull)

Now you say use the filter??? , its still disgusting, and pointless.

Neem oil, theres a simple CHEAP NONTOXIC solution.

I wont huff paint to get high, and likewise I wont feed cig butts to my plants.

That being said, for the SMALL ammount of nicotine(bug killer) you are giving your plant a whole selection of toxic chemicals to choose from.

Remember science class in high school??? remember the kid who killed plants with cig butts as an experiment??? Its works because industrail tobacco is TOXIC.

--------------------

Offlinevc77
grillmaster
 User Gallery

#3119021 - 09/10/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You realize that I realize tobacco is toxic. I realize this because that is how I have killed small spiders and mites for numerous years of cultivating cannabis indoors and outdoors.

The catch is, that it is toxic to small organisms, not a mid-sized plant. I've noticed no deformation, dying, or abnormalities when using this technique I learned from a very experienced relative, and as long as it works for me and him, I'll swear by it.

Anonymous

#3120318 - 09/10/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Tip #3
Optimal Outdoor Flowering, For Conossieur Buds

This is a imho overview of maximizing the outdoor budding process.

Your plants will most need an area free from any stray light sources such as street lights, motion lights, and headlights. Interruptions in the dark period can delay flowering initiation and slow the budding process. Keep this in mind when choosing your plot.

The first day you have flowers, give your plants a weak dose of a high P fertilizer, the best is Earth Juice Bloom, no other fert gives better flavor and burning quality. Also give one teaspoon of hormex, a growth stimulant which is basically just vitamin B1. It helps your plants grow better roots and more budsites. It also tends to make unsexed plants more likely to go female. Trichomes and new growth often appear within 24hrs. Go with your fert at medium amounts until 2-3 weeks before harvest. If your high P fert is too strong then cut it back or supplement with an organic 'medium' nitrogen/high phosphorus/medium potassium level like bone meal, this will restore greening to your over yellowing leaves. Remember, less is more with fertilizers. Flush with clean water for the last two-three weeks.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3121432 - 09/11/04 06:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"The catch is, that it is toxic to small organisms, not a mid-sized plant."
Sure,and air pollution doesnt SEEM toxio until you get caner.

You may not KILL tha plants, but I sure as hell wouldnt want to smoke that Cannabis, and I am sure that even if you dont notice, it stresses the plant.

And thats the last thing I will say about this as I dont want to ruin organics thread. END

--------------------

Offlinejackgreen
JG
Male
    #3121587 - 09/11/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yuo can use neem oil from the neem tree as a foliar spray and it will prevent bug infestations. All natural, and just stop when bud developement gets thick.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: jackgreen]
    #3124224 - 09/12/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree.......

"Neem oil, theres a simple CHEAP NONTOXIC solution."

--------------------

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #3125908 - 09/12/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Always plant directly in the ground. This assures little chance of root rot. Also, you need to water less. And we can't forget about the unlimited root space.

Mold can only be prevented. (neem oil)

When growing outdoors, dig holes in April and fill the bottom with horse manure. This introduces the beneficial bacteria that will make your plants take off.
I had one plant this year without manure and one with. The one with manure grew about 1.5 times faster and exceeded my expectations.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by ArmFromTheAbyss1 (09/12/04 02:28 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Cannabis Knowledge Thread [Re: ArmFromTheAbyss]
    #3131639 - 09/13/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tip #4
Manure :laugh:

On the note of manures, if you are a pet fanatic and grower, you may want to invest in a rabbit for not only love of the animal, also non-"hot" manure from them which can be directly applied to your soil mix or as a fert dressing on your topsoil. Cow, horse, and chicken manure should be composted for at least a season to make the ammonia and harsh nitrogens to break down. Three weeks will make it usable but apply very sparingly.

Here are some common n,p,k ratios for fresh manures
Chicken 1.6, 1.5, 0.9
Cow 0.3, 0.2, 0.1
Horse 0.7, 0.3, 0.6
Pig 0.5, 0.3, 0.5
Rabbit 2.4, 1.4, 0.6
Sheep 0.7, 0.3, 0.9
Worm Castings 0.5, 0.5, 0.3

If that is too much then look here for more information broken down into tables. 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HPS, Hemp

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden