Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewonderllama
Stranger
Setting up first grow... questions
    #3104712 - 09/07/04 05:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hello,

Recently, my wife gave me the thumbs up to start growing these fine fungi.  I'd kicked around the idea before, but the timing was never right, but now my day is drawing close.  I've read over this site and others researching for a while, because I want to do this right.  I know it's my first time and there's a decent chance of things going wrong due to inexperience, that's fine, but I'd like to minimize that as much as possible.  I believe I have all the basic knowledge I need to get things started, have studied and restudied the various TEKs and have chosen my route, but I still have a few questions.  First, my basic plan, so you guys have an idea of what i'm attempting:

I will be growing the "Blue Meanie" strain of P. Cubensis, and have 4 spore syringes hopefully in the mail as I type.  I got 4, because if I screw up big time, I still have more left ready to go so it's not too big a deal.  If it works successfully, then I just have more waiting in line :smile:.  I'm using the basic PF Tek to get my jars going until the happy birthday, and will be following the 50/50+ Casking Tek from that point on.  I realize that is taking more of a risk with contams, but I'd rather screw up a casing and learn from that since it will most likely be the route I take in future grows.  We currently do not have a pressure cooker (may look into getting one), so for now boiling the substrate jars will be the way to go for sterilization.  I will also be pre-baking the dry ingredients beforehand as an added measure of sterility.  Now the I pretty well don't have any questions on anything in the PF Tek part of things, but when it comes to casing, there are some details that I'm still a bit fuzzy on. 

The casings will be in a large, and fiarly deep plastic container with a lid.  I'll be using the casing mix as outlined in the updates of the 50/50 casing tek (50/50 peat moss/verm + 15% crushed oyster shell and 4% calcium carbonate) for both the top and bottom layers.  Assuming the water saturation is sufficient, will my casings require misting during the time it takes for the myc to reach the top of the casing, or will the water in the casing layers provide enough humidity?  Or is this just an "as necessary" kind of thing?  Also, should I be fanning during this time, or just start that when initinating pinning?  Finally, is there anything I seem to be missing or doing wrong?  I think I've got my head on straight here, but then again, I've never done this before.

Well, I believe that's all the questions I have for now.  Sorry to be so long winded, but it's kinda hard to give advice when you don't know the details of the setup.  Looking foreward to hearing you  guy's responses, and I plan to keep y'all posted on the grow when it starts and progresses.

Peace, :peace:
Beebo the Wonderllama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setting up first grow... questions [Re: wonderllama]
    #3104763 - 09/07/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

pmp is where you should start with your first grow
kramer says this is the best way to go unless your spawning poo or cooking mass grain :crazy2: :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#3104810 - 09/07/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey welcome to the Shroomery!
Sounds like you have got it together to me as far as reading up on the info. You have the right idea of going for the pf tek your first time around. I also think it is a good idea to crumble and case as long as you have researched everything you need to know first,which you did.

You will need to mist lightly when needed to keep the casing layer at the optimum moisture level. You want it to stay wet but not so wet that you get water puddles that dont quickly absorb into the casing layer. This is something you just have to get a feel for as you go but it doesnt take long. I would suggest that you be careful when you are crumbling the cakes as far as cleanliness is concerned. Make sure it is done in a clean environment with no breezes and make sure the container is freshly cleaned. The most important thing is clean hands IMHO. Take extra care in leveling the crumbled cakes before you case and make the casing layer as even as possible too. This is important later when you start getting pins. An even pinset comes from good growth parameters and careful preperation of the casing.

Keep an eye on your humididty in the fruiting chamber and keep it in the 90% range to promote good healthy growth.

Good Luck!

--------------------

Offlinewonderllama
Stranger
Re: Setting up first grow... questions [Re: Mykey]
    #3106596 - 09/08/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know I'm not completely off base here.  I'm making a trip to the local diy store to pick up some supplies tomorrow.  Then it'll just be a matter of waiting on the postman.

George - that pmp looks pretty spiffy.  I'm assuming I'd just use that setup with the 50/50+ casing layer on top?  I'm kinda leery about deviationg from the casing tek, since that's the part I see myself potentially having the most trouble with.  But from what I can think with the little knowledge I have, that wouldn't be a problem and would actually make things a little easier.

Mykey - I'm probably going to construct a glove box to use with most of the critical handling.  I don't plan on my hands touching any part of the substrate at any time.  Gonna buy a shitload of Lysol and alcohol as well.  I want be as careful as possible with sterility, especially since we have 3 cats.

Now to begin my shopping list...

Peace, :peace:
Beebo the Wonderllama

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
    #3106778 - 09/08/04 01:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If I were you,which I am not...I would just go ahead and setup a pmp and just do PF Tek the first time around.The reason?PF Tek allows the newb to see and get a good understanding on the lifecycle of the mushroom.Why not do 80% PF Tek and 20% casings?

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3106938 - 09/08/04 01:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

think of the roll after the dunk a casing and just go with it man, it works good ,
don't make any more mistakes than you have to :mushroom2: :goodluck:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3107265 - 09/08/04 05:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey! GL with your growing wonderllama! You seem to like to include quite a bit of detail, so I look forward to reading your next posts about how your sterilization and innoculation go.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you good luck, and that it sounds like you have a good idea about what needs done throughout the process.

Cheers,
Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3109052 - 09/08/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

For the casing questions, you want to try not to 'blast' the casing with spray, Anno said you want to spray indirectly (even straight up in the air in the opposite direction) so that the droplets landing on the surface do not do anything but land like a fog or dew. Direct spraying can seem gentle but it really isn't and you can flood out the air spaces the pins need to come up through (same reason you don't pack down the top layer).

Also you'd just make the casings in a pan style container like a pie pan or tray or wide low rubbermaid type things. Then this whole pan just sets in on the perlite/geolite/lavarocks in the PMP you don't need any direct contact with the wet flooring medium (and generally it's better if you don't, to keep from having to clean your PMP often). The humidity in the air is a lesser factor for casings since they are prewatered and have the damp thin top layer to keep the air immediately near the pinning surface high humidity anyway, I guess the magic number seems to be around 86% - so still humid but need not be rainforest humid (99%) like with cakes. If you want to fruit a few cakes alongside your casing (most of us like to try all sorts of things at once, you might too) then you should have the 99% but then you probably won't need as much water in your casing. It's a balance you will have to learn to identify, hard to describe.

OfflineMikol
tripper
    #3109439 - 09/08/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I am planning on doing the same thing wonderllama. I've been reading lots of articles and TEKS in the past couple weeks and am very excited about starting this.

I have one question that was not previously answered in this thread. When fruiting casings, is it alright to have a ultra sonic setup? or is there a better way of keeping the humidity around 90% or so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #3109618 - 09/08/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey beebo.

to reiterate what ohers have said, your attitude, level of detail and planning make a welcome breath of fresh air that stimulates me to drop a few spores myself.

all sounds fine. you don't have to make a 'pmp' if you don't want to (poorman's pod, essentially an underwater bubbler under perlite with tweaks and modificatons for automatic control) and can go many other ways - some like to attend to their babies themselves more regularly. do follow the advice of guys like magash though, as his experience cannot be replicated  :thumbup:

looking forward to your future posts. 5 shrooms  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Setting up first grow... questions [Re: Mikol]
    #3109661 - 09/08/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mikol said:
I have one question that was not previously answered in this thread. When fruiting casings, is it alright to have a ultra sonic setup? or is there a better way of keeping the humidity around 90% or so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes there is a better way... Perlite. My advice is to use PF tek with perlite your first time around. If you follow it exactly you are guaranteed success. Avoid any dunking teks or any other foolery until your second time around.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder