Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Sterilizing Bulk Substrates
    #310744 - 05/06/01 05:46 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

So far, i've got about 20 pounds of worm castings to pasteurize. this is easy because i heard you dont really have to sterilize it or pasteurize, but its pretty expensive to ship so im switching to cow dung. one problem, how do i sterilize 20-30 pounds of cow manure all at once? any comments or suggestions would help. i know about the pillowcase method but i want to mix all 24qts. of rye with dung at the same time. so i was wondering if i could buy a machine of some sort to do the job for big applications. thanks.

" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

--------------------
" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
Re: Sterilizing Bulk Substrates [Re: Bleuboxo]
    #310812 - 05/06/01 07:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You could buy one of those huge seafood boilers w/ a propane burner. The things you cook crawfish or crabs in. Or if your a dork you will have to stick with a smaller lobster pot. If I were you I would just do a few pillow case fulls; they are only about $4 at wal-mart and thay are alot cheaper than a seafood steamer.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Invisibleslither
addict
    #310821 - 05/06/01 07:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think worm castings need to be baked or microwaved, they practically dissolve in water and turn into major mush from what I hear. All the nutrients get leached out.

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
Re: Sterilizing Bulk Substrates [Re: slither]
    #310823 - 05/06/01 07:41 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ya I have heard that you should bake them w/ a little water too.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #310912 - 05/06/01 09:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The wet weight of all that manure is around 250 pounds, so unless you rent a cement mixer you should do it in batches. One of those large propane turkey fryers would do the trick, outside with no mess.......You must really like mushrooms.........

Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy.....

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Sterilizing Bulk Substrates [Re: tom]
    #310924 - 05/06/01 10:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

its a lot to sterilize, but its well worth it in the end i love shrooms! my town does also! anyways, i think im going to buy a large pot like you said tom, at least i can put more manure in there, i dont want to spend 8 hours in front of the stove you know?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order