Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
Ok so im in school now...
    #3107698 - 09/08/04 01:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I started school this morning at 7:30am for the first time in 6 years... BLAH! Im going to ITT Tech for an associates in Computer and Electrical Engineering.

so on the first day, we learned how to open a word document and copy/paste text and spell check. WOW... not hard. The kid next to me was freakin out, kept askin me for help. Is the general public really this stupid or what? Im really hoping that classes get progressivly harder or i wont be motivated to do the work. Did any of you feel like this in the introduction classes to your technical degree? Im really hoping it gets harder soon

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: Suffer]
    #3107753 - 09/08/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

School is the reason why I got out of computers. I always loved computers and it was my passion, when i went to school to study for my CCNA i started to hate computers. It became an annoying requirement and the kids in the class really turned me off to computers. IMO there is a difference self tought knowledge/concepts/understanding of networking and computers and what the teachers tell you.. I'm not "into" computers anymore, even though I am on one about 12 hours a day with my job and leisure but I really desire to some day get back into networking and network security as it is a dream of mine.

--------------------

OfflinePNutButta
Stranger
    #3107863 - 09/08/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My 2 terms at ITT were disappointing curriculum-wise, though it may get better further into the education.

I was forced to leave after they screwed me. We had worked out an alternative course structure because I had taken classes elsewhere. I paid all my tuition on time. Then one day they told me I had to pay $2600 by the next day for their billing mistake or I couldn't come to class.

I immediately discussed this with the dean of students (offical title), who blatantly told me that his responsibility was to the teachers and staff not to the students. I had to spend 8 months writing letters to various higher-ups, suffering a $2600 charge to my credit record and facing lawsuits from their collection agency.

It was finally resolved, but my credit record stills contains blemishing marks from the ordeal, preventing me from getting into a new school, or even a cell phone.

A very unprofessional institution from my experience. I hope you have a better time there then I did.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #3108758 - 09/08/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Is the general public really this stupid or what?

Yus. Yus day ur.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#3108788 - 09/08/04 05:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

are you in tampa, there's an ITT campus down here

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3109261 - 09/08/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Suffer said:
Is the general public really this stupid or what?

Ya think?

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3110576 - 09/08/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Man, i've been out of active "schooling" for 3 years now, and to be honest, the only thing i'm dissapointed in with my decision is the fact that i don't have lab access.
If you've been industrious and actually working to learn about computers, i seriously doubt that an associate degree is going to challenge you at all. They're just not comprehensive or in depth enough....hell, bachelors programs don't eveng et all that interesting until the last year when you've got to do a thesis or the like.

But i'd stick with it just for the degree.

As for the general public, and stupidity....take it from my long hours interacting with them in a variety of contexts. Logic is a lost art, as is independant, analytical thought.
Not to mention conversation.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #3113116 - 09/09/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

In my experience, and I dont know your financial situation or what, but unless your absolutley sure you know that your going to follow through and graduate from ITT or any similar school, its not a good idea.

If its lke the places up this way, theres very limited credit transfer, right? So if you go halfway and quit, your kind of screwed.

I'd enroll in a real college, but again, i dont know your situation in the least.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #3113308 - 09/09/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard nothing but bad things about ITT. I actually almost went a couple years ago. I had an appointment to do some kind of admittance exam,and it just seemed really unproffesional.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3128324 - 09/13/04 03:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The great thing about college girls...

I keep getting older, they stay the same age.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #3128892 - 09/13/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

my friend got an associates from ITT and its gotten him 0 jobs. Technical schools are a scam, IMO.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: PNutButta]
    #3129576 - 09/13/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PNutButta said:
My 2 terms at ITT were disappointing curriculum-wise, though it may get better further into the education.

I was forced to leave after they screwed me. We had worked out an alternative course structure because I had taken classes elsewhere. I paid all my tuition on time. Then one day they told me I had to pay $2600 by the next day for their billing mistake or I couldn't come to class.

I immediately discussed this with the dean of students (offical title), who blatantly told me that his responsibility was to the teachers and staff not to the students. I had to spend 8 months writing letters to various higher-ups, suffering a $2600 charge to my credit record and facing lawsuits from their collection agency.

It was finally resolved, but my credit record stills contains blemishing marks from the ordeal, preventing me from getting into a new school, or even a cell phone.

A very unprofessional institution from my experience. I hope you have a better time there then I did.

Oh, yeah, no doubt, ITT is a scam-school. I got screwed and so did several of my friends. They have several methods of fucking you right where it counts, your wallet. The 1st time they kicked me out it was my prof who was that school's former Dean. He knew damn well that I had completed my 5th quarted digital final project long before the due date and that i was assisting a friend on his. The night before the turn-in date we stayed up late as hell getting his finished (it involveded gluing together a plexi-glass box and building a scale model road intersection). As a result we got up late and were 15 minutes late to class. The prof gave us both 0's on our final projects thereby failing us (the project grade was 60% of total). We had to repeat the quarter which cost ~$3800. Oh, did i mention that we both had a 4.0 average at the time? The 2nd time i got booted was in 6th quarter... still carrying a 4.0 average. This time I had to be automatically expelled because i had exceeded the maximum allowed "truancy". IOW, if you miss more than 20% of classtime in a 60 day period you are automatically expelled. Another ~$4000 down the drain (microcontroller courses aren't cheap). I failed to see why I needed to be in class if my grades were not suffering in the least and i had failed to see the fine print on my school loans. Oh, and did I mention that the school loans were through ITT's loan division and that the fine print stated that if you were expelled and/or dropped out that your loans were due, in full, within 30 days?!?! So, blammo, I went default on my loans which has still fucked my credit to this day. I completed my education on principle but I will still be paying on my loans for at least 6 more years. For the price I paid to go to ITT I could have gone to a 4 year school for the same degree and bought a new car.

Good fucking luck to the original poster.

Oh, yeah, don't come up with anything too goddamned brilliant while your there as anything you "invent" becomes property of ITT. That 5th quarter project I got fucked on... yeah, it's in ITT's patent portfolio now. :mad2:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: debianlinux]
    #3201083 - 09/30/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Jesus Christ... I sympathize with you guys who got fucked by ITT. Reading this thread has made me a bit more cautious. My friend is going to a medical institute, I think I'll warn her...

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: debianlinux]
    #3216912 - 10/05/04 02:50 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

jesus fucking christ
wanna go firebomb the local ITT center? I'll drive the getaway car
and buy you a beer afterwards.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan
Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3226354 - 10/07/04 05:56 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Aneglakya said:
School is the reason why I got out of computers.

Me too, the school part sucked.

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: Ok so im in school now... [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #3236903 - 10/09/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Your best bet might be to try to get in on an entry level tech job and work your way up. IT is getting harder and harder to find a job in. Just because you have a degree, especially from a tech school as opposed to a four year college doesn't mean it will really help you get a good tech job.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Science and Technology