Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineErdrick
Stranger
first time supplies
    #3107497 - 09/08/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have decided to cultivate mushrooms. Its kind of a family tradition, and the torch has been passed to me. Haha, I guess my grandpa used to grow them in his basement... of course I think the ones he was raising were a bit different than the ones I plan to grow.

Anyways, I have read numerous faqs and cultivation pages. It is to my understanding that I need the following items to grow mushrooms.

1) wide mouthed canning jars
2) brown rice, rye, or another seed (finely chopped)
3) pressure cooker
4) very sterile environment -- soaps, hand sanitizers, lighters, alcohol, lysol
5) spray bottle to keep the enviro humid
6) vermiculite (medium to fine grade)
7) the obvious -- spores
8) filter discs (? - are these really necessary? would they just replace the top of the can?)
9) plastic box for the mushrooms to grow in, after mycelium forms, and the mushrooms start pinning
10) some light source, for maybe an hour per day (blue wavelength is supposed to be good, so I plan on getting a box with a blue top)

Is there anything major that I'm missing..? I want to make a list of things I need to buy.

Also, can anyone reccomend any strains that are particularly easy to cultivate? I am a newbie, so I am looking for a spore with few aborts and a fast grow time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
Re: first time supplies [Re: Erdrick]
    #3107563 - 09/08/04 09:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like you got them all, but you don't really need the filter disc just use the layer of verm.

OfflineDeuce
Stranger
Loc: Up North
Re: first time supplies [Re: RetardedChemist]
    #3107895 - 09/08/04 12:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RetardedChemist said:
Looks like you got them all, but you don't really need the filter disc just use the layer of verm.

i co-sign that :grin:

--------------------
"Hater nikka's merry hater bitches and have hater kids"- Kanye West

Invisiblezdm
Baby eater

#3107909 - 09/08/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

make sure your pressure cooker has a pressure gauge or its kinda waq

oh yea, there is not a need to buy everything at once inless you have the money you mind as well but really iam poor so i had to buy everything at diffrent times

--------------------

Edited by zdm (09/08/04 12:21 PM)

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3107945 - 09/08/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget perlite for humidification of your terrarium, assuming thats the method you want to use. Has always worked great for me.

OfflineF0SS1L
Prehistoric Cyborg

Loc: 216
    #3108411 - 09/08/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would also recommend getting an air pump and air stones if you wont be able to fan your cakes a few times a day and a submersible heater if you think temp. will be a problem.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3108519 - 09/08/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my friends experience, it seems the coarsest vermiculite grade you can find is good. He used 'horticultural' grade which is medium-fine and thinks it was more difficult to keep it from compacting. Air space is as important as water content during the colonization/incubation stage.

You have three choices for filters, Tyvek discs (cut your own from envelopes or housewrap scraps), Polyfil wadded and jammed in a 1/4 lid hole (bags of polyfil are cheap at wallymart or craft/fabric stores, though also can be found at some pet shops for packing your own water filters), or the dry verm layer alone. Some tend to think that using one of the methods other than dry verm layer are cool since you get that extra 1/2 inch of space to put colonizable substrate (almost like an extra jar every 6 or 10 of them). Also air exchange works better with them, than with the four 'pinholes' normally used for air exchange with dry verm layer (original) method.

Also for light I think I read more like six hours a day, though I have nothing to back that up. Think of it as emulating short autumn days, which along with the lower temps and humidity at fruiting tell the pins to get going. At least do six at first until pins show up then you could probably do with one after that - mostly, it's a trigger and to 'train' them to go towards the light (which generally is also "up"). The high intensity LEDs work good for light since they make no heat and can run for a long time off batteries, and you may have to fight to keep temps low otherwise or tradeoff on how long you can have the lights on, and the "white" ones generally have a blue glow to them (or, use blue ones for that matter).

The plastic box in #9 is usually called a fruiting chamber, and it needs to be about a foot tall with a lid and usually you put wet perlite at the bottom, light at the top, and spray it once in a while depending how dry it is, and fan the air out regularly (meaning like six times a day at regular intervals). It's the "hard" part of the whole deal.

The spray bottle should be of the finest mist you can find. Some general garden sprayers or recycled Windex type sprayers (hand trigger pump) don't spray very fine mist at all which makes things more difficult. Many who have a little extra to spend on tools like the pressurized sprayers which have a pump on the bottle like a keg, and a sprayer wand on a hose as those can spray very fine mist thanks to the extra and constant PSI compared to the pump-as-you-spray types. This is not to say you won't find a fine mist hand sprayer bottle but they seem to be harder to find. The spray should come out like a cloud almost, or like fog, for best results.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: first time supplies [Re: Spudz76]
    #3109454 - 09/08/04 05:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The less you pack the jars the better. Keep it as light and fluffy as you can.

-FF

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: first time supplies [Re: fastfred]
    #3109795 - 09/08/04 06:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How big of a pressure cooker do you recommend?

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first time supplies [Re: wds]
    #3109877 - 09/08/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

as big as you can find! :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: first time supplies [Re: george castanza]
    #3112106 - 09/09/04 02:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes as big as you can find/afford. Sounds like resale shops are a good place to find big old ones that may still work but for much cheaper than new big ones.

Keep in mind if you can only fit four jars, and you have 12 to do, then you have three cycles required which adds up to days (since you should leave it to cool after the hour and a half or so it takes to heat up and go through an hour under pressure, so a cycle can be like 5-6 hours long). So larger makes things much much better, don't cheat yourself trying to save $10 or whatever. Plus in the future you may want to do something other than jars, like larger jars of grain, and then you'll hate not having a big one.

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
    #3112440 - 09/09/04 05:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I found that op shops or garage sales are the best spots for PC's. I picked mine up from an op shop, put in a bit of charm with the old ladys working there and picked up a four litre cooker for $3, that was probably the cheapest item i picked up.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first time supplies [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3112443 - 09/09/04 05:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"op shop" means thrift store BTW. You should mention that Nick. We don't use that term here in America.

-FF

Offlineksizzle
myco-a-go-go
    #3112592 - 09/09/04 07:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Good point FF.

Thrift stores are the best places to find any obscure things you need for super cheap, IMO, even for non-mycological related purposes.

Found a wicked hotplate for like $2- most of the time they don't know or care what they have, they just want to sell it.  You can also haggle the prices down quite a bit too as Nick said.  I find the best ones to go to are church related, especially if you can find one of those weekly based ones where they just lay all the stuff out for you to dig through on the weekend or whatever :smile:

Stuff is so cheap you could probably find enough plastic/metal/whatever and a blower to make a cool flow box for like $20, heh.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first time supplies [Re: ksizzle]
    #3112607 - 09/09/04 07:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yep. My advice is to get a bunch of butter-knives there(thrift store). They are easy to sterilize and work great for digging out your myc from grain jars. Instead of trying to re-sterilize one knife over and over, just get a bunch of knives and use each one once. They are also a good source for strainers and cookware and whatnot.

-FF

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3112616 - 09/09/04 07:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I prefer using spoons.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #3112641 - 09/09/04 07:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

" 1) wide mouthed canning jars "
there are even several good alternatives to the traditional canning jars,
one can use polypropylene jars, for example,
that cost just a fraction of what glass jars cost.
see http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/144749.html?1089165616 for illustrated tek
also one can even use microwave-safe gladware/tupperware
see http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/5439.html?1080842034 for illustrated tek
one can even make bags work-
see http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/17123.html?1037151194 for illustrated tek.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineErdrick
Stranger
Re: first time supplies [Re: Hippie3]
    #3113113 - 09/09/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fossil and Spudz: You are saying that I should open up the fruiting chamber about 6 times a day? Wouldnt that increase the chances for contamination? Is there a way to just cut out part of the fruiting chamber (in my case, a plastic tub) and replace the holes with filters? Or would that increase the rate of dehumidification?

Right now I am most worried about contamination.

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3114547 - 09/09/04 04:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mostly, the dangers of contamination are lower once you've gotten to fruiting stage, and actually fanning keeps air from stagnating which helps keep many bacterial infections (mostly the anerobics) from happening. Molds generally will only take on uncolonized substrates, meaning anything that is not already fully covered by the intended species of mycelium and has nutritional value - the mycelium can protect itself very impressively once it has fully colonized. The safest and cleanest method is to use a Poor Man's Pod (PMP), as far as limiting the amount of time things are open to 'unclean' air. Sometimes you might get a contam problem later on after a few flushes but it is not much of a loss by then. Also you can 'scrub' the air around your chamber first by spraying Lysol or Ozium or such or run one of those ionic ozone generator things to try and reduce the possible mold spores flying around the area, and then wait a few moments for the droplets to settle, but this would be an 'extra' measure of safety which is not really all that necessary (unless you live where molds are very very prevalent, or it's that time of the season where mold spores are in abundance like autumn, but that is all very dependent on your local conditions). Also spraying when needed with not just plain water but water with some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) mixed in will help keep the general area hazardous to contaminants, but don't spray your cakes directly.

You can make CO2 drain holes similar to how you say, but put them as low as possible on the sides rather than in the lid (CO2 is heavier, and thus will not flow upwards unless you have something causing a turbulence or convection). But for best results you also need a source of fresh air also so the air pump in the PMP helps.

OfflineErdrick
Stranger
Re: first time supplies [Re: Spudz76]
    #3114665 - 09/09/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow spudz, you sure your your stuff! I am impressed, and grateful for all the knowledge you have passed on to me.

I plan on having a hydrogen peroxide/water mister and another water mister.

I also have a box fan, with an electrostatic filter. I am thinking about running that in my walk-in closet (where the shrooms will be) to keep the air clean(er). I also plan to scrub the walls down with some H2O2 and or bleach, to kill off bacteria, as well as regularly clean the air with lysol...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom