Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco
    #310207 - 05/05/01 10:16 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have 24 quarts of rye grain 90% colonized. the strain is B+. The problem isn't here because the rye grain kicks ass for bulk production. I bought 30lbs. of worm castings and a 14lb. gro-brick of coco fiber. I was wondering if i could case with worm castings and leave the gro-brick aside??? i heard a regular casing with worm castings is not good enough... any feedback on this? thanks.

" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

--------------------
" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemorlahere
addict
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: Bleuboxo]
    #310236 - 05/05/01 11:52 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

worm castings run thru and colonise real fast. the problem i found with it is that it dries also out real quick, and that's what a casing is supposed to stop or at least slow down. the drying out of the substrate.
so you can use the worm castings as a bulk substrate to mix your grain with but unless you can keep the humidity up you'll probably find that you'll need to put a casing over it to hold the moisture in.

visit my homepage

http://members.fortunecity.com/jennifero2000/trailerpark/

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: morlahere]
    #310261 - 05/06/01 12:59 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yes thats true, you have to mist it with water thats how light this stuff is. do you know which ratio of rye to worm i have to do? thanks.

--------------------

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: morlahere]
    #310262 - 05/06/01 12:59 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yes thats true, you have to mist it with water thats how light this stuff is. do you know which ratio of rye to worm i have to do? thanks.

--------------------

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
    #310417 - 05/06/01 09:17 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

GOOD GOD. 24 QUARTS OF GRAIN!!!!!!!! I hope you are planning super bulk madness. Go to your local cow field and get alot of old dried up cow pies.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #310485 - 05/06/01 11:16 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

holy shit. 24 quarts, eh? don't obsess too much about the ratio--the more you use, the quicker the colonizaton, the less chance for contamination. a rough guide might be 1 gallon of spawn to 10 lbs dung/compost. but, feel free to use more, or less...

--------------------

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #310582 - 05/06/01 01:54 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

ok, so i think im going to use 2 jars grain, o one jar castings. thanks. ive cased alot but was just wondering about the castings they are different, like a light potting soil. ill post the results ( pics ) as soon as everything is done. thanks for your help.

--------------------

OfflineTriple_3
    #310650 - 05/06/01 03:27 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

go rye to zoodoo to straw...if you have the room in your drying chamber !!!

---333---

--------------------
---333---

InvisibleDirtmaster
addict
    #310660 - 05/06/01 03:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yo man

i think worm castings is more appropriate as a bulk substrate than as a casing. spawn your jars with the castings. about the ratio, you can make it WAY steeper. some use 25% grain 75% bulk substrate, and actually you can go steeper than that too. with 24 quarts you can make a tremendous amounts of shrooms. good luck and be careful.

InvisibleDirtmaster
addict
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: Dirtmaster]
    #310661 - 05/06/01 03:41 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

and if i were in your shoes i'd just buy a 100 pound sack of cow manure and a big ass sack of straw and go hardcore bulk with large rubbermaids...

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: Dirtmaster]
    #310740 - 05/06/01 05:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yes defintley! my pet snail's dung buddy ( mr.hanky ) has spent much time constructing the perfect grow room. his friend also has a herb grow room, i dont know what he uses all those herbs for though! anyways, worm castings are pretty expensive especially with shipping. the only place that sells them around my way is a garden center...$5.00 for 1 quart. i figure this is tooo expensive. im trying to push the simplicity factor while keeping it fairly inexpensive. so far...the price per each of the snails growroom flushes ( 24 qts. ) are going to be about $100....but i think he'll have alot of fungus to give out to his other snail buddies. cow manure would be the best so far, around here its easier to get than grass i live out in the country. straw is free so thats tooken care of. thanks for all your help guys and if you need prints pm me within a week i think i have a good B+ isolated strain. so far the characteristics on them are pretty good. peace/.

--------------------

OfflineSauconyFever
    #310864 - 05/06/01 08:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Great post you started It's helping AFOAF a lot with figuring out his setup... He plans on using Straw as well and is going to innoculate it with birdseed. He plans on doing wall to wall casing in a rubbermaid. is this what you are gonna do? Let me know as he would love your advice on humidity and temperature... Thanks Peace and Good luck

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Re: Rye to Worm, Worm to Coco [Re: SauconyFever]
    #310951 - 05/06/01 10:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

your buddy seems pretty cool, my snail told me that he is going to use for his growroom 3ft. x 3ft. rubbermaids, they are going to be in 3 aisles, 3 each to an aisle. for humidity he is using 2 two-gallon vaporizers which last about 24 hours when full then shut down when they are empty. so he says every day he needs 4 gallons of water for humidity. tap water does fine because he also constructed a flowhood from the info he found at the shroomery. it works great! he says temperature always does around 85-95 depending on how many times the door got opened that day. full spectrum flourescents on a timer are set to 4 hours a day. i think they are 40watts each. he has two of them. he has constructed tables out of wood and put tarps over them to set the containers on. in the closet he has 3 boxes....each one containing cow manure, coco fiber, and rye grain. above are the quart jars, he only has 24, but he is going to buy 24 more. that is where they will be colonizing. as for temperature monitoring, he has a thermometer and a hygrometer to make sure his plans dont go sour. let me know how your friend is doing or he can even pm me for some growroom construction advice. unfortunetaley, a pig tried to eat him and he was really pissed, so now hes more careful where he steps!! damn pigs!! haha, thats basically the whole room setup, and he hopes to be getting at least $3,000 a month for his hard work from the snail society.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags