Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelittlegreencow
Stranger
I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions)
    #3106197 - 09/07/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well I finally got out and started shopping for supplies :-) Three cheers for the cow man! Unfortunately, I didn't do quite as well a job planning as I had intended, so I kinda played it by ear when choosing equipment. My question involves a digital hygrometer/temperature setup I purchased. The deal is there is a main receiver unit, and you can have up to three (of course it only comes with one, you gotta buy the others separately) different sensor units in different locations that will relay the temperature and humidity information to the main unit, and you can view the different levels by pressing the channel button on the main unit. I opened the manual to find out what the maximum humidity it could withstand was, and was pleased to see that it had a resolution of only one percent (not too bad considering it was 40 bucks, and i was expecting it to be about 5 percent) but the maximum humidity it can register is 95%. I am planning on having more than one terrarium, at least one for cakes and probably two for casings which is why i was so excited to find the model that can have multiple sensors in different locations that wirelessly relay their information. I've read that for casings, 92% is about as high as you want the humidity, but for cakes the closer to 100% the better. Does anyone think that humidity above 95% will damage the sensor unit? Of course the manual says not to completely submerge the unit in water, would humidity levels approaching 100% be equivilent to submerging the unit in a jar of water? Also, I was wondering if anyone had used those automatic power strip things with built in humidity sensors that automatically turn equipment on or off based on temperature/humidity parameters that you specify? Are they worth it/reliable? I'd rather not be out the 40 bucks, I opened the package so I don't think they'll give me my money back but they'll give me store credit...theres just nothing else there that I want that costs 40 bucks. But fuck it, if the automated ones are worth it, i'll bite the bullet and take the store credit and get a crapload more containers and shit I guess. As always I'll greatly appreciate any information offered. Thanks again, Little Green Cow

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: littlegreencow]
    #3106258 - 09/07/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey!
If you are willing to invest the money, which it sounds like you are, buy a thermal-regulated heater and use perlite....the thermal regulated heater (can buy at walmart) will control the temp perfectly for you, and perlite is great for getting the perfect humidity......just an idea from personal accounts...peace out and good luck!!!

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: bemmers1]
    #3106367 - 09/07/04 11:11 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yea the one you bought sounds very nice. I wish I could put sensors in three different area. How much did that cost?

I doubt it will hurt the sensor to occasionally endure 100% humidity, but the tek that I've heard recently is that you only put the hygro in when you want to get a reading i.e. after fanning. Fan then close the terrarium with the hygro inside and let it chill for a while. (20 mins plus) You will get a accurate reading, adjust conditions as necessary, and remove the hygro when you are done.

Dude bought a $50 one from stamets I believe, and after leaving it in the terrarium for a long time the digital numbers stopped working.

Just a suggestion.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: ricelicker]
    #3106520 - 09/07/04 11:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I bought a 20$ "hygrometer" from target and after two days of perlite humidifaction (95-100%) it was shot, now it works again but you can't read the RH, just the temp. I think the ones that have the external probe are the way to go as to opposed to having the whole unit in an extremely wet enviroment for days/weeks on end. And also, these thermo/humidity power strips you speak of....where do you get those?! I have been looking for something like that, peace.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: Cubieman420]
    #3106760 - 09/08/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Glad I read this thread.

I think once you have secured the fact that the temperature and humidity is ok in your chamber, leaving it in there is really unnecessary. Especially if it is low quality.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: littlegreencow]
    #3107003 - 09/08/04 02:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I got this little bitch at radio shak and love it . Stays in Martha for months at a time getting blasted by the ultrasonic and such. Had it for years.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3107118 - 09/08/04 03:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have the same one your talking about, i also got it at radio shack. Very nice hygrometer. The instruction said only up to 95 but i had it say that the humidity was up to 97%, so im not sure if its actually that high or not. And no it wont hurt it to be in that high of a humid climate.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3107398 - 09/08/04 08:05 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I read this thread when I was ordering a hygrometer so I made sure I'm getting a probe based to be on the safe side :smile:

Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Re: I need your experienced opinion please (hygro questions) [Re: utopianglory]
    #3113244 - 09/09/04 11:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I missed reposting so I'm a little late...I picked my regulated heater up for about 60 bucks at walmart....my friend uses it in a large closet, so he just keeps the closet temp at 25-26 and puts his rubbermaids in it, therefore keepin the temp in them the same without the humidity affecting the heater. In combo with the perlite humidity, it works beautifully.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix