Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
The Everlasting Gaze
    #3106687 - 09/08/04 02:45 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

We all want to hold in the Everlasting Gaze
Enchanted in the rapture of his sentimental sway
But underneath the wheels lie the skulls of every COG,
The fickle fascination of everlasting God...

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but that really rings true to me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: The Everlasting Gaze [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3106825 - 09/08/04 03:22 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Can someone explain that poem for me??? 

:grin:

I take things so fucking literally. 

Who's everlasting gaze???  Who's enchanted???  Rapture?  As in sex, or as in all the good Christians of the world going to heaven when it's the end of times?  Who's wheels?  Do cogs have skulls???  Is God fickle???  What is he fascinated with???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: The Everlasting Gaze [Re: Frog]
    #3106873 - 09/08/04 03:35 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know  :oogle:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #3106879 - 09/08/04 03:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Dude you forgot to give Billy Corgan credit. It's rude to quote people and then not give them credit for it.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3108193 - 09/08/04 03:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's smashing pumpkins, yeah.

If you know pumpkin lyrics like i know pumpkin lyrics, you know that he's pretentious, tedious and completely self absorbed. If Corgan has any musical poetry that means anything to someone other than himself, it's not me.

There's only so much obscure metaphore I can take anymore.

But the music's good.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3108261 - 09/08/04 03:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I used to love the Pumpkins, and I still do to a certain extent, but I never got into Machina. I also thought it was "But underneath the wheels lie the skulls of every COCK" for awhile.

Billy Corgan is defintely pretentious, and sometimes it works in his favor, but other times it's way overboard. I still really enjoy the Pumpkins though.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3108851 - 09/08/04 05:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well actually the album Machina (as well as Machina II) was supposed to be written in an overblown caricature of himself. The lyrics aren't that great on the early stuff but Adore and Machina HEAVY.
Although I LOVE Siamese Dream I think Machina is my favorite because there so much depth and truth to it.

My interpretation of this passage is of somebody who becomes dissalusioned with reality, realizing God is not all bliss and happiness but inhuman, cold and indifferent of human suffering.

The Everlasting Gaze is sort of the love locked expression between the speaker and the divine. It's the peaceful and rapturous face of God, or the Ultimate Truth. But then the speaker realizes that God also has another inhuman nature that contains pain, misery and death.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3108878 - 09/08/04 06:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Ironic that you quoted that part, it's the ONE part of the song that really irks me. I think that song in particular would have benefited greatly from NOT having any vocal solos...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3108884 - 09/08/04 06:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for giving your interpretation. It makes sense. I think when people don't understand God, and when they don't take responsibility for their actions, they tend to blame God and make Him the bad guy.

Two different people. Each has lost a child to SIDS. One shakes his fist at God and turns away. The other turns closer to God and continues to find happiness and joy in life.

Why?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: The Everlasting Gaze [Re: Frog]
    #3108902 - 09/08/04 06:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Damn SIDS! Whyyyy SIDS whhhhhyyyy??11 :wink:

But I agree, optimistic people are happier. People like being happy. Optimism can be a self iniated trait. Why not be happy?

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: The Everlasting Gaze [Re: deff]
    #3109074 - 09/08/04 06:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deff said:
Optimism can be a self iniated trait. Why not be happy?

So true. I'm a former skeptic who pulled a 180 and made his own meaning in life. Having seen both sides of the coin, I know the response.. Most people's egos prevent them from stepping up to the plate and acknowledging their ability to control their own thoughts;  so instead they just sit there going "If it was that easy, don't you think I'd be happy already?"

But the truth is, it IS that easy. The problem lies in accepting you've been wrong for so long, and that you've been able to control your emotions all along. Talk about an ego blow... kinda makes you feel like you've been acting like a kid for years. That kind of thing can be difficult to accept.

The ego works on a system of logic... when things don't add up, it finds a way to make things add up. The above scenario presents a situation in which the integrity of the ego is jeapordized by the idea of having been wrong about so many things in the past.

If you think of the ego as a brick wall, imagine you built it about 100 feet up, but used unstable bricks in the first 20 feet.

This leaves you with two options:

a) Tear the motherfucker down and start over.

b) Ignore it.

Finally, because most people personally identify with their ego, (meaning they perceive the ego to be "I") anything threatening the integrity of the ego is interpretted (by the ego) to be a threat to the person's life. And since being alive but slightly unstable is logically better than being dead, the ego will ignore ("this person is nuts!") the inconsistancies between your statement ("you just have to BE happy") and their interpretation/response.

---

Haha, sorry, got off on a tangent there... was just trying to answer your question as to why people seem to choose NOT to be happy, from the perspective of someone who has learned that the choice exists and can be made.

I'm gonna go get stoned now, because atleast then I won't have long enough streams of thought to get paragraphs typed before they're gone. :P  :stoned:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology